Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Read Only
62,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may be aware, I may have somewhat been a tad, a wee, a little, just a tiny bit obnoxious with my heckling of Drew over the last year about his cycling. We finally got out for our first ride together today and did this:

And I have to say, Drew is a damn strong rider. :yesway: Honestly, at the end of the ride I think he may have had more left in the tank than I did. Long day with LOTS of climbing, with the two of us taking turns pulling my buddy around who ran out of gas at about the 85 mile mark. All day long he and I traded off the front spot back and forth. (For non-cyclists, the guy in front "pulls" by basically eating all of the headwind, and letting the people behind him get pulled along in the draft.)

To make things even worse (for me), I'm crashed out on the couch, and he's at a bar drinking a margarita right now. :lol:

I was wrong, and I'll go on record saying that I owe the man a burrito and a beer. :bowdown:

· sawdust aficionado
1,339 Posts
You're both outstanding cyclists for doing a century so early in the season. A lot of people train all season for a ride like that. Stunning performance by both of you!

Drew, you hadn't mentioned any rides so far this year. Have you been training at all?

· Premium Member
33,895 Posts
:lol:

I won't even pretend to be in the same cardio shape as Chris, but I don't think what he fully understood before tonight is that when I said I had kind of a natural aptitude for long distance cycling and it was kind of "my" sport, I wasn't kidding. :lol: I'll always be a shitty runner, I don't have the tempo for it nor the inclination to get better, but I'm a WAY stronger cyclist than I am a runner. I figure doing a century is probably pretty comparable to something between a half and a full marathon, and that would absolutely kick my ASS... but, I'll ride it, absolutely.

Of course, to be fair - I'm walking VERY slowly, my ass fucking kills me (6 1/2 hours in the saddle SUCKS), and while I just downed two margaritas and am working on a bourbon, I'll also probably be in bed in an hour. :lol:

Still, fucking awesome ride. We had a killer pace going for the first half, first pounding it out solo and then the 10-15 miles we spent in a paceline before we started to lose Chris's buddy (who was a damned cool guy, and a really good sport about it :yesway:), and then basically just grinded out the second 50 mile chunk. I'm completely wiped out and will be sore as hell tomorrow, but after about two years of Chris busting my balls about never riding with him and how I'm going to die of diabetes, today was fucking awesome, partly for the month or two reprieve I just bought myself, and partly because it was an awesome ride. :D

Rob - I've got a 2-day (100/75) MS charity fundraiser coming up at the end of june, so I've been building up to that. Most of my rides had been in the 30-40 range, and my longest before today was 58. I actually had only planned on doing the metric century (100km), because I didn't think I was ready and because I technically missed the signup deadline (it filled up before I thought it would) so I couldn't eat at the water stops (and HUGE thanks to Chris for covertly filling up water bottles for me, or I would have been toast). But, I got there 20 minutes after the two (slower) friends of mine I was riding it with had already hit the trail, telling me they'd meet me at the first water stop, 35 miles in, and coincidently a minute after Chris arrived. We set a pretty good pace at the start, got to the first water stop 5 minutes after my two friends, and at that point I was feeling pretty good and kind of wanted to keep the faster pace going. About mile 78, I don't know if I was still enthralled with that decision, but fuck it. :lol: Anyway, before today I'd logged around 200 miles this spring, in the last month. I then did 130 this weekend. :lol:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go top off my boutbon and then lay down on the couch with my feet up. :lol:

· Premium Member
33,895 Posts
Yeah, we thought it was going to be more like 1-2000 - it was supposed to be a VERY flat century. :lol:

I'm wiped out here today. Chris is being very modest, but for a guy that two years ago was a "built for comfort, not built for speed" smoker, the guy fucking cranks today. He can definitely outsprint me, and is a bloody fast rider. I'm glad I fended off diabetes and fat jokes for the next month or two, at least, but I was also very impressed myself. :metal:

· Resident Winger Overlord
4,304 Posts
Yeah, we thought it was going to be more like 1-2000 - it was supposed to be a VERY flat century. :lol:

I'm wiped out here today. Chris is being very modest, but for a guy that two years ago was a "built for comfort, not built for speed" smoker, the guy fucking cranks today. He can definitely outsprint me, and is a bloody fast rider. I'm glad I fended off diabetes and fat jokes for the next month or two, at least, but I was also very impressed myself. :metal:
Chris smoked and was big?

· Resident Winger Overlord
4,304 Posts
I wasn't huge, I just looked like an engineer. :lol: I was 5'10 225. I'm still 5'10, but around 175 now. And yeah, pack a day for like 10 years. :(
I was also a smoker... And man... It feels so much better NOT smoking first off. And second, exercise is a great feeling.
Congrats on quitting. I know how hard that is.
When did you stop smoking and start riding exactly?
Must have been just before I joined the forum...

· Read Only
62,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was also a smoker... And man... It feels so much better NOT smoking first off. And second, exercise is a great feeling.
Congrats on quitting. I know how hard that is.
When did you stop smoking and start riding exactly?
Must have been just before I joined the forum...
I stopped smoking (used an e-cig) maybe 4 years ago now, sometime late 2011. Started running around the middle of 2013, bought a cheap bike, liked it, bought more bikes, lol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.