Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a new laptop soon, and I am going as high end as I can afford so I can be happy with it for a really long time. I've narrowed it down to a couple of Toshiba's with the really nice harmon/kardon speakers, one of them has an i5 450M at 2.4GHz with turbo boost up to 2.66GHz (dual core with hyper threading), the other has an i7 720QM at 1.6GHz with turbo boost up to 2.8GHz (quad core with hyper threading). Being that this is going to be my only computer and working machine I am going to be doing my DAW work (i use Reaper and Cubase) on whichever laptop I decide to get. I wanted to get the fellow computer geek's opinions on these two processors and see which one you recommend, I'm not really going to be using the laptop for any kind of gaming if that makes any difference.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
please god tell me that really nice harmon kardon LAPTOP SPEAKERS will be used for monitoring in any way shape or form :lol:

Good lord, go for the i7 dude. more cores, a higher flop rate, and faster cycle speed. What is the contest?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please god tell me that really nice harmon kardon LAPTOP SPEAKERS will be used for monitoring in any way shape or form :lol:

Good lord, go for the i7 dude. more cores, a higher flop rate, and faster cycle speed. What is the contest?
:lol: no the speakers would just be for casual listening, I've got nicer monitors for the DAW stuff ;) all I know is my fiance's harmon/kardons kick the crap out of the stock speakers i have in my current gateway

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
My laptop has the i5 450m and I've had no issues running Cubase and FL Studio - even at the same time.

If you can swing it, go for the i7... Just because it's balls out powerful :lol: But the i5 is no slouch, that's for sure.

Although my desktop running a Core 2 Duo 6600 never had any issues with Cubase either, so I don't think you need to be too worried. But if I may make a suggestion - look at a few ASUS laptops. Their stuff is high quality. (Hey, if Apple trusts them to make the macbooks...)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Either proc is fine. I don't have any trouble even on Core 2 Duo machines either. If it were me, I would stay far away from Toshiba though. I fucking hate their crap.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why are you going for a laptop? why not a desktop?
Because since I have a laptop and desktop now, i NEVER touch my desktop. I know for powerful computing a desktop always wins but practically it makes more sense if I'm gonna own one stupid awesome computer for it to be a laptop, instead of a mediocre desktop and mediocre laptop like I have now.

Based off of people's feedback...maybe I will look elsewhere than Toshiba. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I have a Toshiba with an i7 and it's given me absolutely no issues whatsoever :shrug: The missus' also has a Toshiba and it's never given us any problems either...
I've regretfully had a lot of bad experiences with them, but to each their own. THat's just my viewpoint.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Yeah don't like Dell either. everyone has their own stories about pretty much any company though. Eventually we'll all hate all the brands!
yep this is true, places and people go with whoever they have the best experience with and who gives them the best support and back rubbing. Toshibas used to be the bees knees back in the 90s then they kind of gave in to consumerism and cheapened their laptops down a lot (I mean like over 1000$ price cuts across the lines) and not just from the fact that the parts were less expensive. The grey Tecras and Portégés used to be serious business laptops.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Kagami said:
Yeah don't like Dell either. everyone has their own stories about pretty much any company though. Eventually we'll all hate all the brands!
yep this is true, places and people go with whoever they have the best experience with and who gives them the best support and back rubbing. Toshibas used to be the bees knees back in the 90s then they kind of gave in to consumerism and cheapened their laptops down a lot (I mean like over 1000$ price cuts across the lines) and not just from the fact that the parts were less expensive. The grey Tecras and Portégés used to be serious business laptops.
Yeah I just had a string of unlucky hits with Toshiba because we had recommended the Tecras to a client who had already refused HP and Dell, and it just didn't go well. Couple that with a few personal laptops for friends that were Toshibas, and I am just not particularly fond. Then again the Qosimo or whatever it's called is a higher line model, and I don't have any experience with those.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
^ My Qosmio is excellent :yesway:

Honestly my only complaint is about the glossy finish; it gets filthy real fast. Other than that, I've not had an issue.

My old HP laptop was also excellent and survived an incredible amount of abuse over the 4 years I had it, before giving it to a friend, though I can't remember what the model was... Unnecessary though, I suppose, this is going back to 2005 or so :lol:

Dell, on the other hand, I have had atrocious experiences with. Both the actual systems themselves and their fucking AWFUL customer support :noway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
^ My Qosmio is excellent :yesway:

Honestly my only complaint is about the glossy finish; it gets filthy real fast. Other than that, I've not had an issue.

My old HP laptop was also excellent and survived an incredible amount of abuse over the 4 years I had it, before giving it to a friend, though I can't remember what the model was... Unnecessary though, I suppose, this is going back to 2005 or so :lol:

Dell, on the other hand, I have had atrocious experiences with. Both the actual systems themselves and their fucking AWFUL customer support :noway:
For me it's a case of simply getting a bad batch, throwing a tantrum, and saying "fuck you" and switching, when possible of course. So far we've been quite lucky with Apple and Lenovo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.