Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
New Suhr website is nice.

Anybody know what's happening with them on the back end? Did that planned buyout occur?
No. I forget exactly where it broke down, but ultimately John Suhr decided to retain control of the company.

Crooks - Big Wreck and Thornley guitarist/singer. Dude's pretty awesome, actually.

Reactions: Soopahmahn

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Thornley is an absolute monster player, singer and songwriter. Definitely well deserved. It's not my thing but good on him. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
It's tough because as soon as I hear "Suhr Signature Model" I think Guthrie Govan, and Thornley is no Govan (though who is). But the guy is a great player and a really good songwriter.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It's tough because as soon as I hear "Suhr Signature Model" I think Guthrie Govan, and Thornley is no Govan (though who is). But the guy is a great player and a really good songwriter.
Well, Pete Thorn and a bunch of other sideman/session dudes get Suhr sigs too. So I guess they're branching out a bit.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Well, Pete Thorn and a bunch of other sideman/session dudes get Suhr sigs too. So I guess they're branching out a bit.
Who does Suhr sell to, though? They're not the go-to guitar for djent kids or anyone wanting a $400 V that looks like one of Megadeth's album covers. Seems to me, they're targeting hard-working guitarists with names only other hardworking guitarists - or serious music enthusiasts - would recognize and producing a product for folks who us it.

Just my opinion.

Those are nice-looking axes.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Who does Suhr sell to, though? They're not the go-to guitar for djent kids or anyone wanting a $400 V that looks like one of Megadeth's album covers. Seems to me, they're targeting hard-working guitarists with names only other hardworking guitarists - or serious music enthusiasts - would recognize and producing a product for folks who us it.

Just my opinion.

Those are nice-looking axes.
Yeah, this, pretty much. For a while that was even a good description for Guthrie Govan, though he's gotten a lot more high profile lately. But, when I think of Suhr, it's guys like Andy Wood, Pete Thorn, Ian Thornley, and Scott Henderson who come to mind. They fall into a niche where they're not quite getting the attention to warrant a Fender or Ibanez or Jackson or Charvel, but are exceptional players with serious chops and the respect of a lot of their peers.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
It surprises me that this is his signature, because he was playing les pauls during earlier BW stuff, and the strat and teles when he went with Suhr.

I fully expected a gorgeous tele from him.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I'm pretty sure my hatred of offset guitars is well-documented. :D It's usually the pick guard and bridge that screws things up for me; the Jazzmaster shape by itself isn't bad.
I don't like either, BTW. Especially at, what, 5000$ ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts