Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through some guitars in a store and I found a used Ibanez RG470 that felt decent, except the bridge couldn't stay in tune if its life depended on it. Must be some cheaper version of Edge. I'm not Ibby expert. But I did like that I could slack the strings completely!

I can't really do that with my OFR guitars. They feel stiffer and even when pushed to the max, the strings dont slack at all. My Gotoh Floyds are better in this department, they feel looser and I can almost slack them.
But still not as much as that RG470.

Are the better real Edge and Lo-Pros like this too?

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
The RG470's have had wildly varying bridge specs over the years, but the vast majority of them have had lower quality trems like the TRS or Edge 3. A real Edge or Lo-Pro Edge are exceptionally good trems, arguably as good as the OFR (mainly the choice comes down to personal taste).

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RG470's have had wildly varying bridge specs over the years, but the vast majority of them have had lower quality trems like the TRS or Edge 3. A real Edge or Lo-Pro Edge are exceptionally good trems, arguably as good as the OFR (mainly the choice comes down to personal taste).
That I know, I wouldn't buy anything without a good bridge. :flex:
I know the good ones; the bad Ibby ones are a gigantic jungle I'm not even interested in.

But thats not the question here. Does the higher end Ibby trems have the same range as that particular shit bridge on the RG470 I tried?
I haven't played my Ibanezes but I was impressed with the range of it.
That I could slack the strings.
Can't do that very easily with my OFR or Gotoh Floyds

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I know you like your Gotohs so an Edge would be right up your alley since Gotoh produced those. Can't say I've done a direct side-by-side comparison but the Edges tend to have pretty decent range on average.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
The Lo Pro can go pretty down, so down the string will be like hot spaghetti.

A thing I notice sometime ago that and was a bit surprised was that my S540 Lo Pro Edge Fine tuners are a lot more easy and smooth than any other FR I tried, being it OFR or any of their copies.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
But thats not the question here. Does the higher end Ibby trems have the same range as that particular shit bridge on the RG470 I tried?
I haven't played my Ibanezes but I was impressed with the range of it.
That I could slack the strings.
Can't do that very easily with my OFR or Gotoh Floyds
Yes. Yes they can.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'd say the original Edge is as good as the Schaller licensed Floyds, since they're cast metal base plates with case hardened knife edge inserts. Only the current Gotoh is as good as an OFR, since it is the only other bridge where the entire base plate is case hardened.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I've played edges and lo pros for as long as I can remember. They stand up to tons of abuse and have a great range. In my mind it's simply the best floyd rose out there, and I prefer them to OFRs as they feel nicer. Also, the fine tuners are nowhere near as stiff as the OFRs I've had and have.

As for slacking the strings completely, that is a yes. A set up edge / lo pro edge will do that, and have a nice upward pull range.

Also, and this will be of interest to you, the edge and lo pro edge equipped guitars (NOT the edge pro, edge3, or any other trems) also came with locking studs. Basically, set the height of the trem, and then with a small allen key, you lock the studs in place. Gives awesome tuning stability as the posts cannot move at all. (If adjusting you have to remember to loosen them, as if you adjust without doing so you will break the post)
One thing I do to my edges and lo pros is that I mount a schaller trem bar on them as whilst the edge bar is good, I just prefer the feel and solidity of the schallers.

also, the edge3, lo trs and edge pro bridges (the edge pro looks like an edge, but has the string baskets) are just not great. the edge pro is ok, but lacks the locking studs. the trs is a pile of shit. the edge 3, well, just a cheap floyd knock aoff, with saddles that break if abused, so again, avoid.

the edges, well, I've abused them, toured them, mangled them, and they all still work and stay in tune. I've bought guitars where the bridge looked like it had been in the titanic that have still cleaned up well and just worked. They are awesome bridges, very well made, and excellent feel.

Oh, also, the edge is a better trem if you want flutter and all that for some reason, never figured out why.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've played edges and lo pros for as long as I can remember. They stand up to tons of abuse and have a great range. In my mind it's simply the best floyd rose out there, and I prefer them to OFRs as they feel nicer. Also, the fine tuners are nowhere near as stiff as the OFRs I've had and have.

As for slacking the strings completely, that is a yes. A set up edge / lo pro edge will do that, and have a nice upward pull range.

Also, and this will be of interest to you, the edge and lo pro edge equipped guitars (NOT the edge pro, edge3, or any other trems) also came with locking studs. Basically, set the height of the trem, and then with a small allen key, you lock the studs in place. Gives awesome tuning stability as the posts cannot move at all. (If adjusting you have to remember to loosen them, as if you adjust without doing so you will break the post)
One thing I do to my edges and lo pros is that I mount a schaller trem bar on them as whilst the edge bar is good, I just prefer the feel and solidity of the schallers.

also, the edge3, lo trs and edge pro bridges (the edge pro looks like an edge, but has the string baskets) are just not great. the edge pro is ok, but lacks the locking studs. the trs is a pile of shit. the edge 3, well, just a cheap floyd knock aoff, with saddles that break if abused, so again, avoid.

the edges, well, I've abused them, toured them, mangled them, and they all still work and stay in tune. I've bought guitars where the bridge looked like it had been in the titanic that have still cleaned up well and just worked. They are awesome bridges, very well made, and excellent feel.

Oh, also, the edge is a better trem if you want flutter and all that for some reason, never figured out why.
Yeah, my Gotohs also have the locking studs, not a surprise since it's same manufacturer :flex:

I thikn the fluttering might have to do with the range;

My OFR has least range = flutters OK
My Gotohs has more range = flutters much better
And then I suppose the Edge / Lo Pro = flutters best

Might be the overall construction of the bridge making them flutter differently.

The Lo Pro can go pretty down, so down the string will be like hot spaghetti.

A thing I notice sometime ago that and was a bit surprised was that my S540 Lo Pro Edge Fine tuners are a lot more easy and smooth than any other FR I tried, being it OFR or any of their copies.
If they are smooth, super.

My OFR tuners are smooth, but on my Gotoh Floyds (same manufacturer as Ibby edges) I've had a few Gotohs with super smooth tuners, but also a couple of ones with really hard to turn ones...

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
It's really interesting to see everyone's opinions on this, as I am very difficult with trems especially with tuning stability of course but the main point would be Trem Arm stability & Flutter effect (which in my experience go hand-in-hand as well), then as for diving range - for me this will really differ depending on how it's set up.

My experience now:

For flutter, whether it's an OFR, Edge Original, Edge Pro, or Edge Zero, they all flutter very well.
However on all the Edge models I've changed all of the Trem Arms for Schaller (OFR) arms because for me flutter is best achieved when the Arm is vertical {either parallel with the strings or opposite way towards the tail of the guitar} to give that lever effect and add some weight to the bouncing. With the OFR arm you can adjust how tight the arm is and how well it will stay in place (I've never had an Edge arm stay in place tight enough for my tastes, unfortunately).

With a stiff arm I was able to make every trem flutter pretty aggressively, but the tension set-up also made a big difference, just to give an example I play with 10-52 strings in E standard (skinny top heavy bottom):

- OFR : with 3 springs I was able to get enough tension and it gave medium range but aggressive flutter
- Edge Pro : 3 springs as well but the flutter was slightly wider range compared to OFR, but a bit less aggressive
- Edge Zero : 2 springs upgraded to high-tension springs, no ZPS, pretty much the same flutter as the OFR
- Edge Original : for some reason with all the Edge Original trems I've needed 4 Springs to get enough tension, which seemed to shorten the range of the flutter and make it slightly shorter as well
- Edge Original : 3 high-tension noiseless springs, this was much better than with 4 springs and had a slightly wider flutter than OFR but not quite as much as Edge Pro, the flutter sounded better than Edge Pro though, the Edge Original has more "tone" to my ears than the Edge Pro.

I've Experimented with 2 springs too in an OFR and Edge Original and it increased the range and duration of the flutter but took out some aggressiveness that 3 springs seemed to give. So I guess it's a question of balance as well.

As for diving range well, weirdly I've never had trouble making the strings spaghetti on either of those models unless the routing of the body made it mechanically impossible - or if you have too much spring tension (too many springs or springs too stiff). Depending on the guitar setup, the arm might touch the body when you dive deep but really depends on the action and stuff, in this case you can hold the arm in reverse position (arm pointing toward the tail of the guitar).

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
^I put some teflon tape under the bushings of my Edge Pro 7 arm and it's super stiff now. Doesn't move unless I move it.
That's a good fix! I still prefer the OFR arm and for $20 it's a pretty good investment but for thos who like the Edge arm it's definitely a good idea.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I've got no study to back it up, but my guess is the balance in the trem. I think there's a bit more mass/weight distribution from the top of the Edge to the bottom as where the Lo-Pro has everything pretty much centered around the base plate. I'm not describing it exactly how I want to, but if you look at them, (especially side shots) you can get what I'm saying. I switched my JEM's Lo-Pro to an original Edge back in 99' because I wanted to get more flutter out of it.....and because Vai had an Edge in EVO.

And don't ask us....ask Steve Vai-

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I like the Lo Pro better than anything else out there....great tone/sustain, great range, amazing stability, flutters fine for me & it's also the most comfortable ergonomically to rest your hand on...in short ..my fave trem by far :yesway:

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
I've got no study to back it up, but my guess is the balance in the trem. I think there's a bit more mass/weight distribution from the top of the Edge to the bottom as where the Lo-Pro has everything pretty much centered around the base plate.
I agree with that, it has a lot to do with the mass distribution of the built of each trem. Like I said I've also found that the Edge Original was at least superior than the OFR and other Edge trems so I can definitely vouch for it.

But I think it also has to do with the number of springs and tension of the springs. The Edge for some reason (once again might be related to mass distribution and built balance) requires more tension with the same strings; springs with more tension move easier so they have a wider range of "bounce" before bringing back the trem to zero point.

With that said, any standard trem can have increased flutter range but removing springs in order to obtain more tension in the remaining springs, but the Edge Original is probably the best at it by default because its construction forced it to require more spring tension anyway, and it's mass contributes in a stronger bounce as well.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I have three guitars with OFRs on them. They all flutter nicely. I have no idea what you guys are doing. :lol:

·
Banned
835 Posts
Flutter is about eliminating friction and loose fitment. A sloppy/loose trem arm will kill your flutter. A higher friction stud-to-edge fitment will reduce it. A tremol-no will also reduce it. The piece of felt on a trem stabilizer also kills it.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah thats pretty obvious ;) I'm using fluttering like 1 day every year, but it would be nice to have... All my 4 floyds are blocked to dive-only at the moment, and I wish I had a fluttering guitar for a recording a few days ago :ugh: I can always borrow a guys ESP V for that, he's coming over soon for some other recordings so I can do that then.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Flutter is about eliminating friction and loose fitment. A sloppy/loose trem arm will kill your flutter. A higher friction stud-to-edge fitment will reduce it. A tremol-no will also reduce it. The piece of felt on a trem stabilizer also kills it.
Nailed it.

I have three guitars with OFRs on them. They all flutter nicely. I have no idea what you guys are doing. :lol:
They do fine, and easy as well, just slightly differently than the Edge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts