Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tune to E standard with 10-52 strings and those stupid stock Edge Zero springs aren't tight enough. (Note: on a regular Edge or OFR I never had that problem with 3 springs in parallel with the claw at least 5mm from the cavity wall).

I even had two luthiers look at it and try everything and even screwed all the way in (max spring tension) the trem was not balanced.

It's a 6-string Prestige and I had to buy 7-string Edge Zero springs (2SUX5BA007) from Rich.

Stupid. I understand why this EZ gets so much hate, I like the feel and the fine tuners are fine, low-profile and all whatever, as long as it stays in tune but come on, they should have made the stock springs tighter, OR given more room for adjustment or whatever.

/Rant

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted

Well, it's a good thing for you if that's your only beef with the trem, as that's the easiest part to replace!
Thanks, consellor, for helping me see the positive side of this frustrating piece of gear :flowers:

So far so good I guess... But if that thing fails me even once, I'm going to dismantle the whole thing and get my tech to re-drill everything to put my OFR in there.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I've had a couple of RG's with the ZPS and each one came with the extra springs for the heavier gauge strings.

Might be worth checking with your dealer or with Ibanez about.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually... Doesn't seem that hard to switch for an Edge/Lo-Pro/OFR. I think the only touchy thing is re-routing the studs.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've had a couple of RG's with the ZPS and each one came with the extra springs for the heavier gauge strings.

Thanks, used guitars though... Well whatever I already bought the springs, at $4 each it's not a huge deal. But yeah I wish that thing was made better.

If you're confident about doing that work, so much the better, man. But if you're paying someone to do it, I can't imagine it'll be more cost effective than buying a second hand body that's already made for Edge.
I might be cursed but I'm having a lot of trouble finding Prestige bodies with the finish and pickup configuration I want, I'll keep my eyes peeled so maybe.

I'm pretty sure my luthier could do that for about $200 though, it's not a huge deal. He's good with mods so he works fairly quick (and well), but whatever, so far I guess I shouldn't complain much. Just ranting here.

It's like they made the Edge Zero to appeal to noobs but then all of us who tweak stuff and upgrade stuff end up completely stuck as far as options go. Those damn springs aren't even on sale in Canada, stores have to order them and that apparently takes a month hahaha. Good thing Rich exists.

Getting a perfect Ibanez guitar is a dream I will one day fulfill, one day...

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Last night my tech had to make a block because the edge zero on my 1527m was maxed out, and the trem was 15 degrees off of the body. I use .68+.52-.12 for my seven string in drop Ab, which, may be heavy strings, but fuck. I hate the ZR/Thumb adjustable trems. :noway:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Haha, I just bought one today and now I'm gonna find out what all the hate is about :lol:
I've had two Ibanez S's, both had a bass side bridge pole collapse, resulting in me paying someone $60-80 to epoxy/fill/get a new pole, and now my 7string E0 can't handle enough tension for man strings. Just get something with an edge/edge pro and you'll be happy.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Last night my tech had to make a block because the edge zero on my 1527m was maxed out, and the trem was 15 degrees off of the body. I use .68+.52-.12 for my seven string in drop Ab, which, may be heavy strings, but fuck. I hate the ZR/Thumb adjustable trems. :noway:
I couldn't even use the dunlop heavy core 10-60 set on my RG927 and had to have the springs almost maxed out for 10-59 daddario's. (using heavy-gauge springs that Ibanez sent me which was nice but they didn't help much) That trem system is the worst unusable piece of shit there is out there. Even $10 licensed floyds are at least somewhat usable lol.

Yeah they sent me a 3rd even heavier spring set because the "heavy" ones included were useless :lol: Those springs are a huge pain to install too because they are so short the tension is enormous. They must think people only use 8 (regular) 9 (heavy) and 10 (super heavy) gauge strings with the appropriate tension springs listed.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had two Ibanez S's, both had a bass side bridge pole collapse, resulting in me paying someone $60-80 to epoxy/fill/get a new pole, and now my 7string E0 can't handle enough tension for man strings. Just get something with an edge/edge pro and you'll be happy.
You mean the stud collapsed??? As in the wood around it gave up?

I couldn't even use the dunlop heavy core 10-60 set on my RG927 and had to have the springs almost maxed out for 10-59 daddario's. (using heavy-gauge springs that Ibanez sent me which was nice but they didn't help much) That trem system is the worst unusable piece of shit there is out there. Even $10 licensed floyds are at least somewhat usable lol.
Usable? I don't know, it does work and it does stay in tune very well. Usability (minus the spring shithellfuck thing) is not the worst about this, the worst might be long-term failures and longevity. As far as I know, Original Edge and Original Floyd Rose are the most durable and reliable trems, but companies wanna make money... Oh well

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
You mean the stud collapsed??? As in the wood around it gave up?

Usable? I don't know, it does work and it does stay in tune very well. Usability (minus the spring shithellfuck thing) is not the worst about this, the worst might be long-term failures and longevity. As far as I know, Original Edge and Original Floyd Rose are the most durable and reliable trems, but companies wanna make money... Oh well
Yep. The post that holds the bridge against the strings tension. It still leans a little but intonation and action are 100% so idc

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Dude, just sell it and buy a guitar with a real Floyd. That's not the only guitar on the planet.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep. The post that holds the bridge against the strings tension. It still leans a little but intonation and action are 100% so idc
To be fair, if it's the wood that broke then you can't really blame the bridge, right? I think Ibanez themselves would be responsible for faulty wood.

It's still really weird, that certainly doesn't happen often.

Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Dude, just sell it and buy a guitar with a real Floyd. That's not the only guitar on the planet.
Now what I really need is a OFR-equipped KxK custom, Black with cream binding around body+neck+headstock, 5-piece slim-D neck profile 43mm and flat radius, rosewood board, one Bridge pickup. Now I need to sell 2-3 Prestige guitars to pay for this one :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts