Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this Ibanez on the second hand shop for less than 400 euros. It was the Prestige name on the Headstock that droove my attention and then took some pics of serial.

Couldn't play it but... Im thinking in getting her ahahaha, what can you tell me about it? She seems to have a super super thin neck. The pickups were changed to a Seymour Duncan (no clue on the model) and a PAF Joe on the neck. Already check the serial and she was made in 2004 at FujiGen

Its the blue version but its a really dark Blue:

She as a scratch on the top horn and a chip on the lower part, nothing serious though.

Not that I need another one, but... its a Prestige :D

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
People are so worried about specs and where it's made. Play it, does it play well and fit your style? Does it sound good? It is aesthetically pleasing? Then who cares if it says 'Prestige' on the headstock :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
People are so worried about specs and where it's made. Play it, does it play well and fit your style? Does it sound good? It is aesthetically pleasing? Then who cares if it says 'Prestige' on the headstock :lol:
That being said, if you can't play it before buying, that was a good time period for MIJ Ibanezes. Comes with an Edge Pro, depending on how you feel about those. And upgraded pickups is a bonus. I'd say if you're comfortable spending the money, it's worth grabbing, and hoping it's not a lemon or horribly abused :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt asked to try it because its Christmas time the store was packkkkkeeedddddddddddd with people and all employes were very busy and I really didnt want to bother to be honest. But she caught my eye ;)

I went there anyway after posting here (not that far from my place) and it had a RESERVED sticker already... arghhh... so it seems shes most certain gone.

She is also locked to the hanger but this time I grabbed it as I could and the neck felt really smooth, not fret ends anywhere and from what I could see the frets look new, although they arent of course. Theres already some yellowing on the lacquer which doesn't bother me at all, give her a not shinny new anymore look and apart from the tinny chips near the jack entrance and a bit scratched on the upper horn, i didnt saw major flaws. She had no tremolo Arm, dont know if they have it stored or if they even have a bag or the case for it. Anyway shes most certain gone so maybe I missed out big time... for once Im relief... one less guitar, but on the other hand its a MIJ Ibby yah know :D

A thing that jumped at me was the 3 way selector ala MIJ Charvels, and the no pickups rings were nice as well. The Blue was really really dark in fact initially i though she was Black.

Upon googling for specs she brings the edge pro but apart the normal info seems to be a very scarce guitar regarding reviews etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, couldn’t help but post on this, I just bought an Ibanez prestige this weekend for 250€ and was searching online to see what model it is, then I found this post and realized that this was the exact same guitar I bought! Got it from a secondhand shop in Angouleme France, I already knew the guitar because a friend of mine bought it from there a couple of years ago, he must have sold it back to them, small world!

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Hi, couldn't help but post on this, I just bought an Ibanez prestige this weekend for 250€ and was searching online to see what model it is, then I found this post and realized that this was the exact same guitar I bought! Got it from a secondhand shop in Angouleme France, I already knew the guitar because a friend of mine bought it from there a couple of years ago, he must have sold it back to them, small world!
I won an Angouleme Discovery Prize back in 2007. Wish it would have come with an Ibanez Prestige... (welcome to the boards, btw!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, thanks, nice to be here, the guitar is currently at a friends because I was worried about bringing it back on the plane, just a gig bag no hard case, but what a guitar, I have three Ibanez guitars, one of which is an Indonesian premium vai floral pattern, but this Japanese Ibanez is something else! It weighs a ton, really not far off a Gibson les Paul without the weight relief. It has a maple top too. First thing to change will be the pickups, thinking maybe about the slash alnico II, just because it’s weight and the maple top reminds me of my les Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
MPEXUS, I saw it too at Christmas, it was a bit higher in price, then this weekend I was back in the area, was surprised it was still there, but the price had been reduced, it’s got some dings in it, but it plays perfectly, no problem with that, the only problem is the pickups, the Duncan bridge pickup is really quite low output and I don’t know what the neck pickup is, the guitar is beat up though, you can’t quite see it in the picture, but the back has quite a chip taken out of it and the binding has cracked in the same area, the hardware has also lost most of its finish, but for the price it was a good deal, not worth putting too much money Into the finish, but the pickups gave to go

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know all the chips it has and also the heavy weight... probably the most heavy Ibanez I ever had in my hands... really really heavy.

I almost bought it in 2017 then I quit and when I saw it again on CHristmas I got tempted until I pick her up again and the Weight was too much for me. The Neck felt amazing.

Are you still in Angouleme or nearby? Exodus and Death Angel are playing Cognac next Monday we could meet for a beer or two :)

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Any Ibby from this era/factory is going to be solid. They play and sound great. They're pretty much the only guitar I'll buy blind, because I've had tons of the fuckers and never had a single issue.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Any Ibby from this era/factory is going to be solid. They play and sound great. They're pretty much the only guitar I'll buy blind, because I've had tons of the fuckers and never had a single issue.
Absolutely. I've owned 2 and played quite a few others. Anything from Fujigen in that era is pretty much guaranteed to be exquisitely crafted. They're much better than teh modern "prestige" and "premium" models, IMHO.

4,429 Posts
At the end of the day I'd rather play a guitar that plays like shit but sounds great than one that plays great but sounds mediocre. Never seen any production guitar where you could pick up 4 and one wasn't significantly more resonant and alive sounding. Back when I was more into trying new things I don't know how many Ibby's I flipped because they didn't sound as good as my 7621. It was the main reason I ended up selling my RG55020th (which I do regret just cause it was such a cool guitar).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.