Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, because he never plays it anymore, my stepdad has essentially gifted his old 1978 Precision Bass to me. It weighs about four tons, has a neck that would make a baseball bat envious, and could probably be used to chop down a tree while suffering no damage. But, it sounds great, looks awesome, and plays very well!

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Wow, great condition. Looks like it was very well looked after :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some finish cracks and some wear on the neck, but it's in GREAT shape.

He bought it new in 79, and has owned it since.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've got a mongrel bass of probably similar vintage that also weighs a freakin' ton. The only things left that are original on mine are the body, the pickguard, the tuners, neck plate and the output jack and the wires directly connected to it.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
SCORE!! :hbang:

Gotta love free vintage instruments.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The scary thing about this bass is that it is about eight years older than I am.

In fact, it turned 30 last year.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, after just having taken this to a gig...

Holy shit, this thing sounds like a ton of bricks. Think Geezer Butler. If I was in a Sabbath covers band I'd be totally set. It's got so much punch and growl that it in fact has to be relegated to a backup, as it's impossible to dial it so that it sits more "politely" in the mix, allowing keyboards and vocals to get through... so it'll be playing second fiddle to my Schecter sadly.

Also, while it sounds like a ton of bricks, it also weighs about that much! I'm glad it was a short (hour-long) set because this bass will give me scoliosis if I use it too much. Thank god there were women on hand for a massage...

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
WOW!!! Awesome

Congrats!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i love fender basses. sell it to me. haha. or i'll trade you a ibanez sr905 for it! :D
:lol:
You lost your opportunity when the 4003 left your possession :fawk:

:wub:

In all fairness, I don't think I'd really sell it at all. It'd take me forever to find another one, and it is just awesome sounding.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
:lol:
You lost your opportunity when the 4003 left your possession :fawk:

:wub:

In all fairness, I don't think I'd really sell it at all. It'd take me forever to find another one, and it is just awesome sounding.
i'm just messin with ya, i wouldn't get rid of it either. family heirloom and such. just think about when you're 70 or 80 and get to give it to your kid(or newfew). I've got a 76 les paul custom black beauty that will stay with me forever.

but i always have to ask! haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts