Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this arrangement recently, partly after seeing Michael Manring live, and partly from reading about Adrian Legg's custom guitars. Basically, the idea is to put a detuner key on every string, and set it so in the 'up' positions, the guitar's tuned to DADGAD, and then each detuner tunes its string down an additional tone, allowing the following tunings...

D standard
Drop C
Kaki King's CGDGAD
DADGAD down a whole step
C5 (CGCGGC)
'Double Drop C': CGCFAC
Michael Hedges' DADGAC
Open D Minor
An Adrian Belew-style DGCGAD

...And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, although the main one's I'd use would be DADGAD, D standard and Drop C.

Are there any detuner keys that would fit on a three-a-side headstock?

Thoughts?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Detuner keys need a lot of room to move... putting more than one or two of them on a headstock would be a challenge.

Other options would be a blocked Floyd with an EVH D-Tuna on every string, or consider the Hipshot Trilogy bridge, which is designed specifically for this kind of application.

Products > Trilogy > Store > Hipshot Products

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd considered the EVH tuners for this sort of thing before, but a few guys told me they don't work so well on anything except the E string.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I'd considered the EVH tuners for this sort of thing before, but a few guys told me they don't work so well on anything except the E string.
I've heard the same thing.

Man, did I lust after that Hipshot bridge when it first came out, waaaaay back in like 92 or 93 IIRC. Cool idea.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. Looks like an awesome unit. Only problem is, I can't see one that would fit on a Gibson-style guitar...:(

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that eight-string one is for lapsteels rather than guitars, although the image of one mounted on an Intrepid or something is making me grin right now.:lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think they came out around 1988 or 1989. I remember seeing one mounted on a Tele at The Twelfth Fret here in Toronto around the time i was taking my guitar-building course there. It's a really nice bridge... the levers all have a great feel to them, and changing tunings is pretty easy.

That 8-string version does look interesting, but it looks like it might be a tailpiece only.

Another option would be a TransPerformance system, but that's a much more major investment and major guitar surgery. But it's so fucking cool.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned banjo tuners, since they're built for this sort of thing.

Schaller D-Tuners at Stewart-MacDonald

These are the ones my uncle uses on his Gibson Mastertone, since he typically switches between D and G tunings between songs (there is a song he does that requires a whole step detune/tune on one string in the main lick that is made far easier with these). They are compact and accurate, and you set the two "stops" that you want the tuner to travel between.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned banjo tuners, since they're built for this sort of thing.

Schaller D-Tuners at Stewart-MacDonald

These are the ones my uncle uses on his Gibson Mastertone, since he typically switches between D and G tunings between songs (there is a song he does that requires a whole step detune/tune on one string in the main lick that is made far easier with these). They are compact and accurate, and you set the two "stops" that you want the tuner to travel between.
Cool idea, also. That's what Jeff Martin did on this song (ignore the video :lol: ):

1 - 11 of 11 Posts