Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dead Winter Dead.

I finally got around to putting all my old music on my MacBook, including ripping all my Savatage CDs, so I've been on a Savatage kick.

But this album has to have some of the greatest singing tone, soloing, and all around badass guitar work (helped out no doubt by awesome dynamics and songwriting) of anything I've heard.

And of course, it's the album that first brought us:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm with you. I was all ready to hate on this album when it came out because it had no Criss, but every stand-in on the album did a hell of a job. Plus, Zakk > Jon for me by a longshot.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's weird, I haven't listened to DWD in about three years. But I am hearing similarities in the tones I go for and in the stylistic elements I try to incorporate into my lead playing here.

I had forgotten how much this whole album influenced me. I was 15 when I first picked it up and hadn't even touched a guitar at the time.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
I actually am pretty good at imitation and it turns out I have inadvertently 'borrowed' His vibrato, but I'd love to have the gear Marty used for this record:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm with you. I was all ready to hate on this album when it came out because it had no Criss, but every stand-in on the album did a hell of a job. Plus, Zakk > Jon for me by a longshot.
Dead Winter Dead came out about the time I was getting into prog rock (1995-ish) and found out about Savatage, Fates Warning, Kings X, and the Galactic Cowboys. Savatage was by far the best, and I loved this album.

DWD's production is really simple, not a lot of reverbs or delays, not a lot of compression and the guitar and bass tones are simple and basic as it gets, but all together it sounds really good and the songs are just outstanding. I can't remember it right now but that one song "AK47, Tomcat, F11..." that Jon sings is just awesome and almost every piece on the CD is great.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Great album, though I recall thinking it just wasn't the same without Criss's signature tone and playing and Jon's vocals when it came out. I was also a MAJOR fan of the ban previously too, so it was a rough change :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:bump: because this album rocks and I am listening to it right now. :agreed:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts