Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it be and what's the spec?

I've come to realise now (finally, only took 15 years) that the whole Charvel pro-mod thing (or any sup'd-up strat) is absolutely me all over. A strat with an FR was my first ever guitar, and no matter how much I go around the block with trying different things, that's just what a guitar *should* look and feel like to me in my head and I always default back to it. I love all guitars for what they are, and I love trying different things for different tonal flavours and looks, but that whole 80's/90's hot-rodded strat is absolutely my deal. I think even if I got back into a death metal band I'd still use my San Dimas :lol:

1 piece maple neck
maple board
Alder body
OFR
1 vol, nothing else
3-way toggle
22XJ frets
Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo, or maybe H-S-S and have Cool Rails/Hot Rails
Maybe reverse headstock. I always loved them but sometimes they just don't look right.
Probably a natural oil finish on the body.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Jackson rhoads, maple neck through, mahogany wings, single passive humbucker, floyd rose with brass block, gotoh 510 locking tuners.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Either a les paul or prs singlecut.

Not sure if i'd go maple or hog neck - i have both, and both kick ass. Hog body, maple cap, 22 frets, adjustable wraparound bridge, two 59's, trans green with binding, natural back, 2v2t w/ toggle. Ideally 8lbs.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
My Suhr is pretty close.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Warlock II - Reverse 6 in-line Headstock - 24-5/8" - Maple Neck Mahogany Body Neck Through. Quilted Top with some frooty color.

The BSM Warlock II was really close except for the scale and the low quality quilt.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Alder Explorer body
Maple neck
Bloodwood Fret board
27" scale
TOM bridge
locking tuners
Lundgren bridge pup
1 vol control

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
It's a tossup between a few things for me;
RGD or Dinky
Swamp Ash or Alder
5 piece maple/bubinga neck
Bolt-on neck
Reverse headstock
Schaller locking M6
Ebony board
26.5" or 27"
1 vol
EMG 707/60-7
Lo Pro or Schaller-Hannes
Woodland camo satin finish

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I don't know about specs but when I was 10 I thought 5 guitars that formed a skeleton would be METAL! :D

But now a days I supposed it would be an Ibanez RG with three humbuckers with enough swtiches push pull pots to have more configurations available than the average guitar. Why? No good reason other than to be able to say it can. lol

Also, instead of a paint finish I'd rather some sort of finish that allows you to see the wood grain of the body.

Oh and I would get the guy who makes Daemoness guitars to put some black burnt graphics on top of the body.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I've gone through a fuckton of ideas because I can't make up my mind... Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, PRS SC's... :lol:

Here's the most 'recent' idea I had, as well as a shitty mockup to go with it

Explorer shape
Mahogany body
Maple neck with ebony board
24.75'' or 25.5'' scale length
Set neck
Gloss black, white, or aged white finish
Black pickguard (white), white pickguard (gloss black), or mirrored pickguard
Duncan Custom bridge, Jazz neck. Or DiMarzio PAF Masters bridge, HFH neck
1 bridge vol, 1 neck volume w/ push-pull for coil split. fuck tone knobs. :thumbsup:
Reverse headstock with Hipshot Grip Lock tuners
Floyd Rose bridge, or the FRX bridge just for kicks

EDIT: Another shitty mockup with a preferred control placement.

EDIT: Also would probably be a baritone version (27 - 28'') with a recessed ToM + string-thru. Or a 27'' - 28'' 7-string with a recessed string-thru + ToM with either a Duncan Custom 7 or Distortion 7 in the bridge and Jazz 7 in the neck.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
It would change too often. I just love guitars so much that I see a feature I don't have and have to go get it.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
What would it be and what's the spec?

I've come to realise now (finally, only took 15 years) that the whole Charvel pro-mod thing (or any sup'd-up strat) is absolutely me all over. A strat with an FR was my first ever guitar, and no matter how much I go around the block with trying different things, that's just what a guitar *should* look and feel like to me in my head and I always default back to it. I love all guitars for what they are, and I love trying different things for different tonal flavours and looks, but that whole 80's/90's hot-rodded strat is absolutely my deal. I think even if I got back into a death metal band I'd still use my San Dimas :lol:

1 piece maple neck
maple board
Alder body
OFR
1 vol, nothing else
3-way toggle
22XJ frets
Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo, or maybe H-S-S and have Cool Rails/Hot Rails
Maybe reverse headstock. I always loved them but sometimes they just don't look right.
Probably a natural oil finish on the body.
That Charvel of yours is absurdly nice, probably the best playing and sounding one I've run into. :agreed:

With me it was a mahogany RG for the longest time, but recently I only seem to play short-scale guitars. I'd love an Iceman with the same specs as my Les Paul but am pretty damn happy with said Les Paul as it is anyway... I guess if someone were daft enough to give me a signature model I'd just go with the same specs as a 1980 LPC, just with bigger frets. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

H-S, 24.75" scale, heavy mahogany, TOM, Aldrich bridge, ML neck. Maple bolt-on neck with maple board.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
For 7s
RGA body 7string -Basswood/maple cap
Maple neck/ebony board offset dots
Duncan Distortion set 3way toggle
single vol NO TONE
lo pro fixed bridge
locking tuners
Reverse input jack

Bulb beat me to the punch on this one.

6 string

Check out Dana's build thread as thats pretty much it.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Josh said:
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

H-S, 24.75" scale, heavy mahogany, TOM, Aldrich bridge, ML neck. Maple bolt-on neck with maple board.
Why havent we hung out yet :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
My typical go to specs are something along these lines:

Mahogany body
Maple top
24 frets
Hum-Hum with 5-way
Trem
Normal, and not obscene fretmarkers

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a mock-up of something I made on one of those virtual-builders a few months back

I'd happily still have that :yum:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
6 strings
22 fret
24.75" scale
angled set neck
mahogany neck
rosewood board
medium-jumbo frets
thin-ish light mahogany body