Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
snopes.com: Bottle Bombs

If you mix Drano and foil inside a bottle, then shake it, it will create an explosion big enough to sever your fingers and give you 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The shaking is what starts the chemical reaction, i.e. picking it up.

This youtube vid is on that snopes page:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"plumber in a bottle"

Pour it in your sink or toilet if it's stopped up.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
hey, try to keep up alright? We learned that you call fries, chips and chips, crisps. alright? ssshhhheeeeeyyyyiiittttt
But what if I called them McCain's and Tyrrell's? Would you have a clue that I was talking about chips and crisps then? No. Why the addiction to brandnames? Tylenol, Band-aid, Drano...it's weird.

The argument for chips vs. fries vs. crisps is one for another thread though.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
But what if I called them McCain's and Tyrrell's? Would you have a clue that I was talking about chips and crisps then? No. Why the addiction to brandnames? Tylenol, Band-aid, Drano...it's weird.
We're Americans. We invented consumer culture. Deal with it. :D

·
I like turtles!
722 Posts

The argument for chips vs. fries vs. crisps is one for another thread though.
We call it drano here too. I wouldn't have thought it was an american thing since it's fairly prevalent in Australia as well. In Italy, I asked for a Coke and got a Pepsi, because the brandname Coke is taken to mean "all cola drinks" and the most popular cola drink is Pepsi. Took me a while to figure out wtf was going on.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In Italy, I asked for a Coke and got a Pepsi, because the brandname Coke is taken to mean "all cola drinks" and the most popular cola drink is Pepsi. Took me a while to figure out wtf was going on.
same here.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Drano bombs are not something to fuck around with. That shit can go seriously wrong sometimes..

:(

Unlike Drain Cleaner bombs, which are quite safe and a fairly productive use of ones time.:yesway:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
We call it drano here too. I wouldn't have thought it was an american thing since it's fairly prevalent in Australia as well. In Italy, I asked for a Coke and got a Pepsi, because the brandname Coke is taken to mean "all cola drinks" and the most popular cola drink is Pepsi. Took me a while to figure out wtf was going on.
I never said it was an American thing, since clearly all the former colonies of the Great British Empire have started doing it. I was just expressing my frustration, being the angry and impatient young man I am.

It's the same here. You ask for a coke, you'll get whatever they have licensed - coca cola or pepsi.

Coke isn't a trademark anyway, but Diet Coke is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
snopes.com: Bottle Bombs

If you mix Drano and foil inside a bottle, then shake it, it will create an explosion big enough to sever your fingers and give you 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The shaking is what starts the chemical reaction, i.e. picking it up.
:noplease:

What saddens me about this is how this could deter people from picking up trash. Inconsiderate people already use the world as their personal trash can, throwing litter and trash out the windows of their cars onto the sides of our roads. And now the few good people that actually take their own time to pick up the trash of others will now be afraid to continue this good deed, for fear of picking up a home-made bomb of an idiot trying to harm innocent people.

Sounds like ******* terrorism to me. "Hey ya'll, watch this!" :roll2:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Dry ice in a closed bottle produces a similar effect.

When it comes to volatile mixtures you can create using household products, drano and foil in a bottle is relatively minor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts