Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh.

I didn't expect much of them - Behringer Truth 2031's, I bought them because I needed something in a hurry and was kind of broke at the time, and I figured when I outgrew them I could just give them to my dad as they're a lot better than the PC speakers he records with (though, before you start laughing, my dad is of the school where he cars approximately 0% about sound quality and the mix and getting tones right, and about 100% about the song and the performance - he basically sets levels, adds a bit of reverb here and there, and he's done, so PC speakers are just fine).

Well, I think I've outgrown them. I've known for a while that I was having a very hard time getting levels right for the bass guitar and that between my room and the 5" drivers on the monitors, I wasn't getting much in the way of low end reproduction so when I mixed something, dumped it onto my iPod, and played it back, more often than not it'd be too bass-heavy. However, the mix I was working on the last couple days, it was obvious that I was having trouble with higher frequencies than that - I happened to be going home to my parents' place last Sunday, so saturday night I finished a mix, dumped it onto my iPod, and listened to it a couple times on the drive home and then again on my dad's (rather nice) stereo. I'd gotten the bass levels more or less right after having checked it previously in my car, but right away (especially on my dad's stereo) I could hear some lower-mid ugliness in the rhythm guitars around 400hz or so - it was just a little muffled and boxy, and even in my car stereo I can tell that the cut I just put in there helped a bit. However, I can also tell it's still not quite right, and more to the point that it's much harder to hear that on the Truths than it is on even my car speakers. Since I record on the third floor, my car is obviously on the ground floor, and I'm sort of lazy, dumping a mix onto my iPod and stepping outside for a couple minutes isn't really a viable option.

So... I think I need to suck it up and buy better monitors (and probably consider doing some acoustical treatment in my room, but I don't know how feasible that really is). What should I be looking at? Say, in the sub-$400, sub-$600, and sub-$800 price points, for a pair of powered monitors (or, a pair of unpowered monitors plus a poweramp). What do you guys recommend?

It's just a little disheartening when you start to realize that you get a better idea of what's wrong with your mixes when you listen to them in a Toyota Camry with the base stereo, through a iPod playing back through your car radio, than you do through a pair of designed-for-the-task Behringers. :lol:

EDIT - Actually, Chris should just "loan" me his, since he never records either. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'll sell you mine since they've been sitting in a box since the day I bought them. :lol:

Edit: But if you do actually want to borrow them, buy me Enchiladas this week and I'll toss 'em in my car. :idea:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
pick up some krk rokit6s

there about 2 hondo per, and they work great

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? :lol: God, man, and I thought I had problems. At least you play the fuck out of my old 1527. :lol:

What are they again? I don't remember, but I remember they're better than what I have. :rofl:

I mean, they almost have to be :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't remember. :lol: :lol: I will actually have to go look at them. They were ~$500 iirc. That makes them good! :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Fortunately, I have the day off. :yesway:

They're these:

TASCAM

Fuck. This thread makes me want to use them, and actually record something. ;(

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then keep them, man, and record something. :lol:

Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha HS80M monitors yet? They're supposed to be based on the NS10s, which are near mythical for their accuracy, and since I don't do that much pleasure listening on my desktop the fact their sound blows for anything other than mixing isn't a huge issue. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Still no Roadster clips. -rep

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Still no 2101 clips from Chris. +rep

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave wins. :lol:

Yeah, but if I borrow your monitors, then I can't bust your balls about how you're not recording. :/

·
Read Only
3 Posts
For $800 look for a used pair of the Mackie 8" monitors... the Mk I, not the Mk II.

Anything below that, I can't help, as I have no experience really :lol:

Also, for acoustic treatment: Ready Traps™ 4" Broadband Bass Trap Do-It-Yourself Kit (Makes 3) - $152.99 : Ready Acoustics!, Hear - Sound - Better

For $150 you get 3 traps... put one behind you, and one in each corner of the room behind you, and you'll hear a HUGE difference. It only gets better from there if you can add some more traps (within reason).

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Then keep them, man, and record something.
:agreed:

Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha HS80M monitors yet? They're supposed to be based on the NS10s, which are near mythical for their accuracy, and since I don't do that much pleasure listening on my desktop the fact their sound blows for anything other than mixing isn't a huge issue. :lol:
A good friend of mine has these, and I've heard them several times. They seem to be a little inaccurate in the low end, but probably a big step up from what you have. I have a pair of the HS50s but I haven't even plugged them in yet.

Also the NS10s are mythical for how bad they sound. They had very little bass, and sounded like crap. BUT, if your mix sounds good on NS10s, it's likely to sound good anywhere.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem with acoustic treatment for my room, Matt, is it's set up like this:

So, putting a bass trap behind me would mean putting it between myself and my amp, which would be ok for mixing but less so for recording (as I suspect it'd probably fuck with the amp a bit), and I'm off-center in the room anyway (which is enough of a problem) and the corners aren't really accessible. I should do that anyway - I certainly won't be tracking drums in my bedroom and I'll want them for that - but I don't know how feasible it'll be for mixing (to say nothing of storage - I might be able to keep them in my closet, but it's a pretty snug fit anyway...

Anyway, so given that layout, what would you propose - one trap right behind my chair, in front of the amp, and then one on either side angled to be parallel with the monitors, while mixing? or perpendicular to the front of the desk, hard left and right?

Or fuck it all and take up crochet instead? :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fuck you then, cock, I don't want to have lunch with you anyway. :(
:rofl:

We're way overdue for a Border Cafe run anyway, man - you pick the day. If you want, toss the monitors in your trunk - if nothing else, a week or so with something else ought to tell me how much of the problem is anything labeled Behringer blows goats, and how much is it my rooms acoustics blows goats.

The other thing I should probably be doing here, is I have a rather nice set of 20-year-old Boston Acoustics speakers gathering dust downstairs - my dad used them my entire childhood right up until one afternoon when he and my bro were working outside with some tunes cranked, and the main speakers cones just gave out (they look to be 10" or 12" but I haven't measured). I've been meaning to replace the speakers in them, and then while I'd originally intended to put them in our living room, there's no reason for a couple months I couldn't hook them up as an auxilary speaker set in my room, as another way to check mixes - I remember being really impressed by how much better they sounded than my stereo whenever I came home in college, and they're fucking huge so bass response wouldn't be a problem. :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The one behind you is horizontal on the wall above the amp. The one behind the speakers is horizontal as well. The one on the back of the door is vertical.

Also, there are corner junctions all the way around the room - where the walls meet the ceiling is a good place for bass trapping as well...

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm. There's a window over the amp, and a framed picture (as well as my Firepod, a sansamp, and a pre) between the speakers, which incidently are just a hair above ear level. I'd have to rig up some sort of temporary way to hook this up, but that wouldn't be prohibitive.

The ceiling over the bed is actually at a slant - I'm right up against the roof. Adding bass traps there would be tough (and possibly not necessary, as for better or worse it does break up a parallel angle) but the rest I could look into building something.

I'm semi-active over at HomeRecording.com, where they advocate using Owens Corning 703 fiberglass insulation with some sort of burlap cover (and a wooden frame) as the basis for a bass trap. Theoretically, going this route would be at least not visually UN-attractive, if done well, and could even concievably be something I could get away with leaving in the corners while I wasn't recording, plus having a couple movable traps to hang in place when I did want to mix. With that in mind, is there anything you'd recommend I read as a good how-to, Matt, for building some of this stuff?

EDIT - and, reading between the lines, I take it you're advocating treating my room acoustically before I start worrying about monitors?

EDIT #2 - and if I just built them myself I wouldn't be as tied to the number three, so wouldn't it maybe be a good idea to make a 4th freestanding temporary one I could set up in the room across from the one on the door?

I haven't thought seriously about acoustic treatment, and really I suspect I ought to...

·
Read Only
3 Posts
To your first edit - yes.

Also the link I posted for you is for OC703 with a little nicer fabric than burlap, and hooks to hang them on the wall. They also sell frames that are pretty nice, and not much more than what it would cost you to build them yourself (assuming you have the tools...)

That is the best how to for building them yourself I can give you... otherwise, go to the johnsayers forum and start reading!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will spend all day tomorrow doing just that. :yesway:

I'll definitely price it out, then, but for me part of the appeal is it just sounds like it would be a fun project to do it totally from scratch.

The other thing of course is I've sort of been toying with painting my room for a while, and I should probably do that first before I go nuts with acoustic treatment on the walls. :lol:

Anyway, thanks Matt, you've been a huge help. :D

EDIT - holy shit, that site rules. :D I'd seen the thing on drum micing before, but I didn't know there was more of it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts