Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've been thinking that I should sell both my 6505+, and Single Recto, and use my tax refund to get an AxeFx. I was a little curious whether or not it has that same thump when you play amplified, and if not what would I need to achieve that? Power/pre amp?
I know nothing about this stuff so bear with me.
I live with my mom, dad, and sisters, so I feel like headphone playing at night would make them hate me a LOT less :lol: (even though I play on the lowest audible settings at night).
Also: DI, tons of settings, the effects, tons if different amps.
My dilemma in a nutshell is, for those of you who have bought AxeFx's: (I know the obvious answer to this is yes, but) do you miss your amp(s)? Or are you so happy/blown away by the axe that it makes up for it? Would you ditch the 6505+ and a Recto for your Axe?
I know this is a lot to read through, I'm sorry, but I'm kind of lost here.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Honestly, if you are curious to try the AF2, and can swing it with the sale of the 6505+ and SR50, then give it a shot. If you don't like it, you can probably sell the AF2 pretty easily, and then easily find another 6505+ and SR50.

If you were selling amps that were a bit more rare, I'd be cautious, but with fairly common amps... eh, give the AF2 a shot :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Sell both and buy a Road King. Analog modeling > digital modeling

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've played AxeFX rigs through a bunch of different speaker setups now, and the only one that gave you the "thump" of an amp in the room was running it through a poweramp and an actual guitar cab.

They're seriously impressive ieces of gear, but running it through a typical "FRFR" setup will give you the sound of a really good rig mic'd up and pl;ayed back through a quality sound system. They're not really designed to replicate the feeling of standing next to a half stack, you know?

4,429 Posts
I've played AxeFX rigs through a bunch of different speaker setups now, and the only one that gave you the "thump" of an amp in the room was running it through a poweramp and an actual guitar cab.

They're seriously impressive ieces of gear, but running it through a typical "FRFR" setup will give you the sound of a really good rig mic'd up and pl;ayed back through a quality sound system. They're not really designed to replicate the feeling of standing next to a half stack, you know?
+1

·
Guitar Wrencher
93 Posts

+2

I've run one though my JBL Control Studio Monitors and subwoofer with a Yamaha MX-1000 power amp pushing it..

and... it sounds EXACTLY like whatever preset you have should sound like.. on a CD!!! Seriously.. if you were to listen to a recording of a actual Soldano 100 and the the SOLO100 prests with all other parameters being equal.. I don't think you could tell

It works best through a power amp and speakers designed to exactly reproduce sound without "coloring it" like a guitar cab and amp do.

Then I plugged it into my Mesa 2:90 and 2 1960B's STACKED and.. BOOOOYAH OH YEAH!!! Pant legs shakin, internal organs rattling, neighbors calling the cops..

BUT.... it sounds different..... even though its a "power amp" the Mesa 2:90 has its own little preamp stuff going on geared towards a Triaxis preamp and the cabs color the sound as well... the internal settings and EQ in the AF help with this.. but.. its still not quite the same...

And, when you turn it down to "normal" levels.. the effect is even worse than trying to choke a regular tube amp to "non death threat" levels. the cabinets start to REALLY show up

HOWEVER...

its still pretty danged good!

Soooooooooo

If you want something that sounds great through headphones, through PAs, through PC recordings and you dont mind monkeying with to run through a stack when you want.... its the cats ass.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, if you are curious to try the AF2, and can swing it with the sale of the 6505+ and SR50, then give it a shot. If you don't like it, you can probably sell the AF2 pretty easily, and then easily find another 6505+ and SR50.

If you were selling amps that were a bit more rare, I'd be cautious, but with fairly common amps... eh, give the AF2 a shot :yesway:
Very good point! :yesway:

Drew, thanks for the advice :yesway:

Noodles/flexkill:

Shane: :yesway:

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Run it with a frfr setup that has 4 12s and it most defiantly will have the same push and thump problem is most fullrange people only run it through one or two. And that's where u lose the thump and push onstage. I've done the cab thing and the frfr thing. And when u match the amount of air being moved you don't have a difference . Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you like your amps, why not just get a Torpedo Live?
Will that me record direct? And will the amp still be audible? (Night jamming)
I'd like to be able to jam on headphones. And the axe is (from an outsider's view in)infinitely versatile. I've seen it used for mid gain jazz/fusiony shit, a Pink Floyd cover band, the most extreme metal, blues, and until I knew what it was I always wondered 'damn, what's that guy using?'

I'll check out the torpedo, I saw it posted a couple days ago and scrolled over it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/)

Drew said:

Sure they are, or at least, the Axe is. Just ignore the FRFR debate and run the fucker into a cab. Then enjoy glorious awesome with the sounds-great-down-low volume control of a modeler.

My Axe-Fx absolutely rips through my recto 412.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Will that me record direct? And will the amp still be audible? (Night jamming)

I'd like to be able to jam on headphones. And the axe is (from an outsider's view in)infinitely versatile. I've seen it used for mid gain jazz/fusiony shit, a Pink Floyd cover band, the most extreme metal, blues, and until I knew what it was I always wondered 'damn, what's that guy using?'

I'll check out the torpedo, I saw it posted a couple days ago and scrolled over it.
It's got a headphone out, and it's a load; completely silent.

The Axe is awesome, no doubt. I'm just saying the Torpedo is another option, if you already like what amps you have. The Axe is more versatile, the question is just whether or not you need that versatility. Or maybe you keep your amps, get a Torpedo, and then a $200 POD HD for additional tones.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I know how you feel. Just replace recto with jcm800 (that i dont yet own).

My game plan is to just get the bunch of them and chez quigs/crooks the place.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's got a headphone out, and it's a load; completely silent.

The Axe is awesome, no doubt. I'm just saying the Torpedo is another option, if you already like what amps you have. The Axe is more versatile, the question is just whether or not you need that versatility. Or maybe you keep your amps, get a Torpedo, and then a $200 POD HD for additional tones.
So, the torpedo takes your speaker out cable and models a cab..?

I mean, no way I NEED the versatility, but I do play a lot of different music(who doesn't?)(metal core, modern prog, alternative, some 80's/classic rock).

I mean the big things for me: direct recording, headphone playing, support and the options.
I guess if I miss my 6505 I could pick up a beat to shit one for $550+/-

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Quigs, basically the answer I was looking for :yesway:

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Get an Axe FX you won't regret but I bet you will want tubes again, I did.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So, the torpedo takes your speaker out cable and models a cab..?

I mean, no way I NEED the versatility, but I do play a lot of different music(who doesn't?)(metal core, modern prog, alternative, some 80's/classic rock).

I mean the big things for me: direct recording, headphone playing, support and the options.

I guess if I miss my 6505 I could pick up a beat to shit one for $550+/-

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Quigs, basically the answer I was looking for :yesway:
Yeah, speaker out, and it's a load+speaker/mic IR. You should find one and try it.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Boots: I may hold on to my 6505+, then, as I'll NEVER find a red face 6505+ again.

Jeff: any idea anywhere in the area that may have one? I dont mind a bit of a drive.
Edit: looks the the closest dealer is at Sweetwater.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts