Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I've mostly used ones in multieffects, or things like the Line6 DL4. The Carbon Copy is nice though, and the Boss DD3 and similar are always good solid ones, if nothing spectacular.

If money were no object, I'd be picking up a Skreddy Echo and using that. I LOVE the sound of that thing.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Why do you need the OCD and TS808? I would choose one or the other... but maybe you were trying one then selling the other?

But yeah the Sonic Stomp with the graphic EQ might be overkill.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
You've got two boosts, a distortion and have built in distortion on your amp.

You "need" the tube screamer, the EQ and the Wah. The BBE is cack. Avoid it at all costs. Using the OCD as a boost after the Maxon seems pretty pointless.

If you want a pedal board that covers all your bases:

Maxon or Ibanez OD (the ts808 and od808 are the same pedal)
Crybaby Wah
MXR EQ (optional)
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR M234 Chorus (for clean sounds)
Decimator
Tuner

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, I'd go tuner, wah, tube screamer, EQ, MXR Carbon Copy or TC Electronic FlashBack delay, Decimator, and either a chorus or a phaser (the Phase 90 is great) for "swirly" stuff. Lose the BBE, especially since that saves you a lot of pedalboard space for something that's way more useful/interesting sounding.

The Big Muff might be fun to add to a clean channel for the raunchier stuff, but you have to be pretty careful with it live since it can and will get swallowed up in a mix.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Most of us here rely on our amps, not our pedals, for distortion.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just on the note of the OCD, I would NOT use that as a boost. It is a very treble-heavy, gainy distortion, not good for a boost.

The BBE you should buy LAST. It can work, and it can suck, there's a reason the reviews are very mixed. It works with some gear, and fights with other gear. Leave it for last as you may hate it.

MXR Carbon Copy is a great delay, despite me not liking it at first. It's really great for the price and I highly recommend it if you're not a heavy delay user. If you want loads of delay types and you're looking for more than just textural delay and a delay for leads, then look elsewhere.

Heh, you're not gonna find people who stack overdrives on a metal forum I'll tell you that! :) If your going to play metal, stacking overdrives is not going to help. You need distortion, not overdrive. That's the reason people use the distortion on amps instead of in pedal form, although I played metal with an overdrive pedal pushing a Metal Muff for a long time and it worked great, but again I needed distortion, not overdrive.

Hope that helps man.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I already have my Valveking gain, trebble and middle maxed out and bass on 5,
I also have the gain and volume boost on permanently because it sounds bad without them, I need the pedals to get what i want out of it.
If this is true, your amp sounds like garbage right now.

a) you'd benefit much more from an amp upgrade
b) re-EQ your amp

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nope. I play mostly other styles, and rely on my amp's distortion primarily. My pedalboard is Tuner => TS7 => RAT clone => ISP Decimator => MXR Phase 90 => amp. The Rat only gets used if I'm backlining on an amp without a gain channel, like a Deluxe or a Twin.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
the main appeal of the pedalboard for me is that I could take it to practice and hook it up to a different amp and get my tone. I don't like hauling my amp back and forth, and I don't trust anyone enough to leave my amp at their place.
This makes a lot more sense... This being the case, you do want a distortion and overdrive.

·
Registered
575 Posts
the Boost would be used in the lead stuff, so the idea is to raise the treble and volume a little, I could always dial back the gain on the OCD. or get a MXR micro amp.

I guess most of you guys only play metal.
I mostly play metal, but I also play a lot of other styles.
I mostly play high gain stuff, but I also played in church for 4 years, so I know a lot about using a pedalboard to shape your sound and I feel you on that.

That being said, two things. A second more standard overdrive would be better for your purposes than an OCD. It's just too over the top. But if you find it works for you then disregard me entirely. :)

Also, I highly agree with you on the idea of settings not accurately reflecting what something really sounds like. The best tone I ever got out of any distortion pedal was a Metal Muff with bass on 3, Mids on 9, treble on 9 with an overdrive in front of the Metal Muff. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.