Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering how do you figure out the import taxes and all that jazz when you buy a guitar from Europe and ship it to the USA? I've found a guitar I quite like, and was wondering how much it would all cost.

Price of the guitar is about 1460 usd.

·
Hasta la vista, Baby
384 Posts
Usually is custom tax% + %VAT of total value. Both of them depending on the country.

On Spain for instance is 3,4% taxes + 16%VAT. And in my experience, it doesn't matter if the item is new, repaired or used. If the customs screw you, you always pay the whole lot, at least here.

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
I bought a violin from Germany and it showed up with out any taxes, I think it's kind of a crap shoot whether they decide to or not. I've also heard stories where people get charged a ton.

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
The only country that has ever hit me, on the receiving end, in the US, was Sweden. Never had a single tax from Japan, Australia, Germany, the UK, or France. I have no idea if this stuff follows any particular method or reason. It definitely seems like pot luckvs. the way the item was declared, in the originating country.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
I have no idea if this stuff follows any particular method or reason.
I honostly think that at the customs office, they play "pin the tail on the poor unsuspecting bastard that we are gonna fuck over" because their methods make no sense, and you cant get an ounce of info in it when you ask.

Once of my wife's friend ordered 3 pairs of those ugly ugg's boots and she paid like 175, then when they shipped here, they wanted 159 in customs fees. It was a few bucks short of paying twice. For 3 pairs of boots, to a working mom, taking care of her son, who responsibally bought some shoes, then couldnt afford it because she didnt budget out TWICE the price. So they had to sit for a while. Its fucked up

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
God damn it >_> now I don't know what to do. The price of guitar and shipping is about the top of my range

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Depends on how they declare it... technically it should be declared using tariff code 9207.90.0040 which is supposed to be a 5% duty on the pre-shipping price. When I got my Ibanez imported from Japan Ishibashi misclassified it as 9202.90.4000 and I ended up paying 8.7% IIRC. The chapter of the tariff code covering musical instruments is here:

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000c92.pdf

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
Have the shipper declare on the customs slip that it is being sent for waranty repair, you shouldn't get hit with taxes.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
The only country that has ever hit me, on the receiving end, in the US, was Sweden. Never had a single tax from Japan, Australia, Germany, the UK, or France. I have no idea if this stuff follows any particular method or reason. It definitely seems like pot luckvs. the way the item was declared, in the originating country.
You got lucky. I would say to expect as much as 14%. I ordered "something" from "Japan" and got stuck quite the bill 2 months later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.