Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(AKA Floyd appreciation thread*)

You can have your stoptails, hipshots and evertunes, but a guitar without a floyd is just not as fun, a guitar without a floyd is like a burger without cheese, sure, burger tastes good, but it could just be so much better.

Personally, every single guitar I've had that's been fixed bridge (apart from one) has ended up sold. I just cannot get on with them, no matter how hard I try, it's like it always missing something.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I know what conversation spawned this thread :cool:

If I was playing a purely rhythm gig, I'd take an Evertune closely followed by a TOM, but for leads I've just discovered the disgusting joy of dumping the bar while standing atop a riser and forcing all around me to acknowledge their dimished status from not having a floyd being re-produced at high decibels in their hands .

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Staying in tune is not nearly as important when dive bombs and masturbatory pole-yanking are your meat and potatoes...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm mostly a rhythm guy, but when I do take a lead, I like to bend, and bending with a Floyd just doesn't feel right to me, likely because I learned on a LP copy.

Keep yer Floyds, and I'll keep ma 'tails :wub:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My picking hand is like a hammer, because I grew up on 80's thrash and speed metal. If I'm recording rhythms, I much prefer a fixed bridge. Because I'm a man, and I pick like a man, and Odin doesn't tolerate bitchpickers. :djent:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I know what conversation spawned this thread :cool:

If I was playing a purely rhythm gig, I'd take an Evertune closely followed by a TOM, but for leads I've just discovered the disgusting joy of dumping the bar while standing atop a riser and forcing all around me to acknowledge their dimished status from not having a floyd being re-produced at high decibels in their hands .
An Evertune is even dumber than the double locking fixed bridge on those Meshuggah sigs. Route a bunch of wood and throw in some springs, yet no whammy bar.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
For straight rhythms I don't mind a fixed bridge but for leads I feel like I'm missing a limb if I don't have one. I do way too many harmonic dive bombs and slurs to get from one note to the other.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I could never own one type of guitar to the exclusion of all the other types. If all my guitars had floyds I'd sell half and replace them with guitars without them. Yesterday I played my Jem, my #1 Tele and my AS-200. That's what works for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A Floyd Rose, or more generally, a double locking tremolo system is not about just doing dive bombs. If that's all you do with it, its a bit of a waste.

Tremolo work can be very expressive when used right. I personally prefer guitars with trems. It just adds more possibilities. Even if you're not playing leads, there's so much you can do with them.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Staying in tune is not nearly as important when dive bombs and masturbatory pole-yanking are your meat and potatoes...
Except an actual Floyd Rose *does* stay in tune while doing all of that.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I actually don't have an issue with Floyds. I was responding to the "neutered dog" remark. :fawk:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hardtail bridges, the savior of guitar players with defeatist attitudes! I saw a beautiful Carvin today with a plain hardtail bridge on it, the bridge looked right out of place. No aesthetic appeal and def no mojo for sport guitar players.

Lic floyds stay in tune very well. Some people aren't technically inclined, so I can see why they stick to hardtails. Grow a pair and get a Kahler equipped guitar as well. They are super fun and sport the 'a lot going on' look. Kahler bar action is different than the floyd, and fun... like switching between dunlop and morley wha's.

I'm also a fan of pro rock'rs and edge bridges. Floaters! What is good in life!

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My picking hand is like a hammer, because I grew up on 80's thrash and speed metal. If I'm recording rhythms, I much prefer a fixed bridge. Because I'm a man, and I pick like a man, and Odin doesn't tolerate bitchpickers. :djent:
false.

a proper floyd can be played by the right hand of thor. Whilst wielding the hammer.

If you're bitchpicking on a floyd, it's because you are using strings with as much tension as an episode of beverly hills 90210

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I like and use both... Although for my current projects, I've been playing hardtails pretty much exclusively, and only breaking out the wiggle-sticks for occasional solo tracking. Having said that, I am contemplating breaking out the Floyds more for certain things (mostly Blut Aus Nord/My Bloody Valentine-style dissonance)...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts