Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been on a big Scar Symmetry binge lately. I love what this band has done. They are both metal, and marketable. They are both simple to listen too, and incredibly musically interesting. This combination is rare in metal bands.

The solo phrasing is unique and incredible. Most metal solos (mine included) can't really even be considered as phrased compared to scar solos.

So here are some of my favorites:

Discuss.

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
Oh my god. I just have one question: how did I not get into these guys sooner? I should be ashamed of myself.

:yesway:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I like "Symmetric in Design" and "Holographic Universe" a lot, "Pitch Black Progress" less so, and I still haven't made up my mind about the new lineup and "Dark Matter Dimensions". I don't think the new guys hold a candle to Christian...

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like "Symmetric in Design" and "Holographic Universe" a lot, "Pitch Black Progress" less so, and I still haven't made up my mind about the new lineup and "Dark Matter Dimensions". I don't think the new guys hold a candle to Christian...
Yeah, I liked Christian better as well. I still really like a few of the songs of Dark Matter, such as the first one posted :yesway:

·
Registered
13 Posts
some of my favourite songwriting in metal!
I dig how they have so much variety in their riffs within a song. Well-thought-out song structures that really command attention.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Love these guys; per is amazing.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
These guys are nothing short of amazing. Definitely in my top 10 bands. Saw them twice with Christian before Holographic Universe. Too bad he left. I see the latest album as the band's "first album" with their newest singers so I'm not too disappointed. It's just different :shrug:

With that said Holographic Universe is one of my favorite albums of all time, though I already loved the first two to death. It's pretty solid all the way through, epic, and super well produced IMO. I see how some people hate on this band because their production is so overdone? but I think it fits well for being a "futuristic" philosophic type band anyway. Per is a fucking awesome guitarist / soloist :bowdown:

/end fanboy rant :)

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont find the production overdone. For me overdone is In Flames :noway:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I dont find the production overdone. For me overdone is In Flames :noway:
This! The production is pretty clean for Scar Symmetry, but I like it. Especially when there is so much interesting music behind the song. This song isn't JUST a production at all.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Ok, so I haven't gotten into Scar Symmetry (yet), but I recently got turned on to Christian's new band, Solution .45

For you SS fans, have you heard his new band? And if so, what do you think of it?

[action=Regor]absolutely LOVES Solution .45[/action]

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I think Solution .45 has much potential. Enjoyed the album for sure, I should listen to it more. Christian probably the best part. Also his band Miseration is cool :hbang:

But yeah I think the production for SS is fucking perfect.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah those are all great songs. There songs are all so good, it is hard to really have "standout" songs.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Been a big fan of Scar Symmetry for a long long long time now. I would rate the albums from best to worst like this:

1. Pitch Black Progress
2. Symmetric In Design
3. Holographic Universe
4. Dark Matter Dimensions

I find it ironic that the two new guys can't do any of Christian's vocal styles anywhere remotely as good as him. Dark Matter Dimensions has a lot of good riffs, solos, song structures, and so on, but the vocals are really weak compared to Christian.

Of course, there's always For Aeon's Past by Solution .45, Christian's new band. And that album rules:

YouTube - Solution .45 - Wirethrone

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I LOVE Scar Symmetry, but can't get into them nearly as much without Christian. I have listened to Holographic Universe and Pitchblack Progress more times than I could possibly count. Dark Matter Dimension not so much. It is good but is missing something. It was kind of like Soilwork without Witchers for me. Now that he is back they are amazing again. Hopefully one day Christian will return. Per is a genious though. His phrasing is amazing.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Per = Win Love his playing.
I know. Listening to him has really recently turned a corner in my playing. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any modern metal player that plays with his level of fluidity. Combine that with sweet phrasing, and solos that manifest in different modes than the riffs, and it is very unique and interesting.

Just check this out:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts