Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, making myself lighter sort of accomplishes the same thing, so sort of? :lol:

Carbon is stiffer too, and I always have Drew's Mom around to help me in that department. :jj:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Dude my brother works at the USAFA gym and they have these crazy curved resistive treadmills that are super slick. Like they just speed up or slow down to match your speed, but they feel so smooth. You cant just stop running though if you get up to speed you have to slow it back down slowly or that shit will launch you lol

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ I'm not sure if the Knee Annihilator 5000 sounds like such a good idea man. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's winter and our gym has a pool, so I'll already be logging laps. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I remember the days when you used to post about buying new guitars & amps, and actually played guitar :(

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I kinda wish I had the room for a treadmill at home, sometimes I just want to watch a film or the footie and not just be sitting on my arse :lol:. It'll never replace proper running (far too easy) but it'd help me log more miles.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember the days when you used to post about buying new guitars & amps, and actually played guitar :(
I play a ton of guitar these days! :yesway: I have a pack & play next to my desk, and shred to my son for about half an hour several nights a week. :D

It's been a trip - all of my muscle memory and go-to patterns/scales have always been evil sounding "metal" stuff. Since I didn't want my son growing up and turning into Abbath, I've been woodshedding all sorts of major/happy sounding shit to play for him. It's so outside of my usual style that it's been a lot of fun, and he gets a kick out of it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
^ I'm not sure if the Knee Annihilator 5000 sounds like such a good idea man. :lol:
Shoulda went with the elliptical they offer. No Treadmill is healthy for your knees. Nowhere near as healthy as running outside. If they haven't shipped yet I would ask them to change the order to their elliptical if I were you.

Can't stand running on treadmills. The vast majority of people just use them for short bursts anyways, which they work fine for, 5 minutes twice a week to supplement your trendy weight lifting routine, but using them for endurance cardio sucks.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
If you're serious about treadmilling though, get Running Moccasins. No joke. The minimalist slip on kind of thing. Teva used to make a set that rules they discontinued. The kind of shoes that work well for running outdoors don't work as well on a treadmill IMO. You want thin gum soles.

I've used Mizunos for running outdoors forever, but I fucking hate them on treadmills. Tight in the heel is terrible treadmilling. You don't want something with an outdoor running sole. You want a super thin flat sole and super loose and lightweight for treadmills.

Normally I hate Teva because they are like, the ultimate yuppie brand, but Sierra Trading Post was blowing these out for $15 6-7 years ago and they are the greatest shoes for treadmills. I believe they are called the "Mush Frio Lace Canvas".

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
^ I'm not sure if the Knee Annihilator 5000 sounds like such a good idea man.
Those are actually recommended for people with stuff like knee problems as the curvature apparently helps with reducing heel striking running form. Who knows if its just bullshit, what I do know is that they are crazy the first time you get on them as you use your own balance to set pace so generally end out accidentally in an all out sprint

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shoulda went with the elliptical they offer. No Treadmill is healthy for your knees. Nowhere near as healthy as running outside. If they haven't shipped yet I would ask them to change the order to their elliptical if I were you.

Can't stand running on treadmills. The vast majority of people just use them for short bursts anyways, which they work fine for, 5 minutes twice a week to supplement your trendy weight lifting routine, but using them for endurance cardio sucks.
I've logged several hundred miles on the treadmill over the last few years, and so has my wife. We both like them, and have no issues with knees. (Well, I have knee issues, but they're because I do tons of DH mountain biking which is another story altogether, lol).

I can't stand ellipticals. They always make my tendons feel like shit afterwards and I don't get nearly as good a workout as I do on a treadmill.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've been woodshedding all sorts of major/happy sounding shit to play for him. It's so outside of my usual style that it's been a lot of fun, and he gets a kick out of it.
OT but check out that Owane album I posted a few months back ('Yeah Whatever', the whole thing is up on Youtube). Even if you're not super into it, 99% of it is are tasty major scale licks that are good for noodling, some challenging but nothing stupid and they're 'happy'. Some dirty 'd' in there but 'Shape of Colour' by Intervals is another one that's pretty much all major scale licks ('Sweet Tooth' is a good example).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OT but check out that Owane album I posted a few months back ('Yeah Whatever', the whole thing is up on Youtube). Even if you're not super into it, 99% of it is are tasty major scale licks that are good for noodling, some challenging but nothing stupid and they're 'happy'. Some dirty 'd' in there but 'Shape of Colour' by Intervals is another one that's pretty much all major scale licks ('Sweet Tooth' is a good example).
Going OT is what we do around here anyway. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I can't stand ellipticals. They always make my tendons feel like shit afterwards and I don't get nearly as good a workout as I do on a treadmill.
I've only been on an elliptical once. Hated it - it felt like running in a squat. Somehow, that's worse than regular running, which is saying something.

Running in general is bad for your knees. Almost as bad for your knees as living life as a fat fuck.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Nice, it even comes with the vertual chick to yell at you the whole time, thats hot! :yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've only been on an elliptical once. Hated it - it felt like running in a squat. Somehow, that's worse than regular running, which is saying something
I had a cheapy elliptical that felt the same way. My in-laws had a nicer one but to get the kinda stride you needed to make your gate feel natural, the peddles or whatever you call them needed to have enough range to go another three feet out from the machine. Made it impossible to find anywhere with enough room to use the thing, and especially unsafe with kids and animals around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts