Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I'm sure it sounds great, but I've always had a difficult time wrapping my head around a rack preamp that doesn't have multiple presets. Still though, I'm sure it rocks and want to hear clips when you get it :yesway:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure it sounds great, but I've always had a difficult time wrapping my head around a rack preamp that doesn't have multiple presets. Still though, I'm sure it rocks and want to hear clips when you get it
That almost turned me off it. I figured a workaround though. I'm going to run it in a loop or my MS-3.
I can dial in the pre clean and hit it with a boost or distortion, or find a good over driven sound in the preamp and bypass the preamp for my clean tones.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've sometimes fiddled with the thought of this same one, or an Engl 570/580, in parallel to my ADA MP2.
Mod the MP2 to split the signal after wah+compressor, one leg out to the external pre, which is then mixed-in right before master volume and the dual programmable tone stack. Might happen on day..

Looking forward to hear some samples from you :agreed:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plexi showed up yesterday.
I got to crank it up this morning.
Running an SS power amp good for 270 watts. Unreal how good it sounds.
Sweet singing sustain. Plenty of gain without a boost. I ordered the Blackface, just because.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick really sloppy clip of the Plexi.
I had a little too much caffeine, but you get an idea of how much gain it has on tap.
Peavey CS200x SS poweramp. Carvin 4x12. Audix I5 and a Sennheiser e906.

·
Registered
59 Posts
At $300 it seems like a killer deal for classic Marshall tones. I assume it does great at '70s classic rock as well, right? That make for a pretty simple but versatile set up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. Most of the clips I heard before I bought it, were classic rock levels of gain. I have it in the loop of my MS-3.
Just ordered a Joyo American Sound pedal to put in a loop for a clean channel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks guys. Most of the clips I heard before I bought it, were classic rock levels of gain. I have it in the loop of my MS-3.
Just ordered a Joyo American Sound pedal to put in a loop for a clean channel.
Very cool. It gets metally very nicely. I'm glad you posted this.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Received the Blackface. Sent it back the next day. Just too polite sounding to me.

Here's a quick clip of the Plexi recorded direct with NADiR and TPA-1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts