Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Are long voicemail messages a shady way for telecom providers to boost usage?

• Yes, that's shady.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Nah, take off your tin foil hat, M. Knight.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • noodles

Votes: 9 50.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number you have called, 555-5555, is not available at this time. To leave a message, please begin speaking at the tone. To send a text message, press 1. To send a fax, press 2. To numerically page this user, press 3. Otherwise, please leave your message after the tone.

[action=Chris]stops paraphrasing[/action]

Everyone on earth knows to leave a message at the fucking beep. Nobody hears the beep and says "Shit, I was just about to leave a message, but now the phone just beeped at me. What the fuck do I do?"

These long ass messages use up a few extra seconds per call. Say I'm a sales guy. I make 12 calls a day, and each long message is 10 seconds. That's two minutes of airtime. Now, multiply that by the amount of people each day, or hell, each hour, sitting on the phone using airtime listening to that message. Think of how many of those people are on pay-per-minute, or limited use/prepaid plans.

Shady, or tinfoil hat?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Press the * key - takes you right to the beep.
Not with all providers. "#" and I think "1" work for some. There's actually a clever pattern in which to enter the 3 possibilities that will take you to VM on any provider without making any false entries. You have to do it in the correct order, and you'll get VM by the 3rd key. Have to think about it/research again for a minute.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Mine goes something like, "After the tone, begin recording your message... when you've finished recording, hang up to send your message, or press the star key for more options."

Who the fuck needs more options? Just get out of the user's fucking way and let them do the no-brainer task without stupid, redundant instructions or unnecessary extra "features" that waste everyone's time and money.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Customers have the option to re-record their own message, that could potentially be shorter than the stock message, but choose not to.

Therefore, everyone who has a stock recording is in on the scam as well!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Customers have the option to re-record their own message, that could potentially be shorter than the stock message, but choose not to.

Therefore, everyone who has a stock recording is in on the scam as well!

It's a automated header at the top of the message that, to my knowledge, you can't eliminate.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
It's a automated header at the top of the message that, to my knowledge, you can't eliminate.
What? What kind of stupid bullshit is that?

I would say that you Americans are getting shafted if you can't record over it, but the majority of the Canadian plans are billed per minute, so we're no better off. :lol:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
i love it when they want you to press 1 for spanish. Now, since the vast majority of america speaks english, shouldnt english speakers get preferential treatment and not have to wait for that? Perhapse tack special needs shit at the end, or ya know, LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH IN A FRIKKIN ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY???

(oh, and before anyone says thats insensitive, i would damn well expect that if i went anywhere non english speaking and i didnt know the language, the people there would be impacient, and pissed off having to deal with me too)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
i love it when they want you to press 1 for spanish. Now, since the vast majority of america speaks english, shouldnt english speakers get preferential treatment and not have to wait for that? Perhapse tack special needs shit at the end, or ya know, LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH IN A FRIKKIN ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY???
Cause when im in mexico, and i call the states, i am suddenly in an english speaking country. :agreed:

also, cause white people here are anywhere near the majority. I am white as snow man, and i am the fuckin minority, big time :lol:

And putting it at the end is just stupid. So, the person who doesnt speak english needs to sit through 30 seconds of confusing shit, so you can avoid sitting through 2 seconds of what is obviously "push 2 for spanish"?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Cause when im in mexico, and i call the states, i am suddenly in an english speaking country. :agreed:

also, cause white people here are anywhere near the majority. I am white as snow man, and i am the fuckin minority, big time :lol:

And putting it at the end is just stupid. So, the person who doesnt speak english needs to sit through 30 seconds of confusing shit, so you can avoid sitting through 2 seconds of what is obviously "push 2 for spanish"?
No, but they should expect to have to wait or go to a separate menu because they have a special need.

Oh, and just because states along the border have a lot of spanish speaking citizens, dont mean the rest of the country should have to deal with that shit :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
No, but they should expect to have to wait or go to a separate menu because they have a special need.

Oh, and just because states along the border have a lot of spanish speaking citizens, dont mean the rest of the country should have to deal with that shit :lol:
Well, isn't Spanish the second most widely spoken language in the States? Indeed, I'm pretty sure it was the first language spoken in the Americas.

Isn't it something like 20 million people who speak Spanish as their first language?

Agree with you on the menu, though.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Well, isn't Spanish the second most widely spoken language in the States? Indeed, I'm pretty sure it was the first language spoken in the Americas.

Isn't it something like 20 million people who speak Spanish as their first language?

Agree with you on the menu, though.
I'm sure theres a ton.

And ya know what? Wheelchair ramps are bothering me now too, lets level them out and fill the world with stairs:rofl:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
It's definitely not "tinfoil hat" material. The telecoms actually have conferences where they discuss ways to increase usage--this being one of the easiest ways to sneak in, often just long enough to push you past the 60 second mark, causing you to use another minute.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It's definitely not "tinfoil hat" material. The telecoms actually have conferences where they discuss ways to increase usage--this being one of the easiest ways to sneak in, often just long enough to push you past the 60 second mark, causing you to use another minute.
Sheeple! That was entirely too reasonable of a comment! :scream:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Oh, also:

noodles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts