Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Shredding 'till dead
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this while searching for something else on youtube for the Dillinger Escape Plan:

Always heard how ultra violent this band's live shows were in mags like Metal Hammer and Kerrang!. The accounts almost sounded like a thing of lore but now I see. This footage almost completely makes the night I saw Slayer live at a 'no-seating show' in a mid size ball room type venue look like a walk in the park. Have to admit, I am impressed.

So anyone ever see see DEP live and experience this level of insanity?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
This happened in my hometown and the locals were all pissed. Fuck Dillinger Escape Plan, they're a bunch of assholes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...what's so intense about that? All they did was flop around like idiots and tear a ceiling vent down that seemed to already be too low.

Eye of Hanatarash drove a bulldozer through the wall of a venue and onto the stage during a show with everyone inside.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
They caused a ton of damage to the main venue in town for local acts and haven't been back since as far as I know. They're just a bunch of cunts and their music is god awful.

Fuck Dillinger Escape Plan :yesway:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Not that I give a fuck, but that band is very, very often cited at the top of the best live metal bands ever.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I will never think that this band is anything but an unlistenable pack of random bullshit.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I will never think that this band is anything but an unlistenable pack of random bullshit.
That band is contrived as fuck.

I remember I kept seeing pictures of the bassist and guitarist, mostly the bassist, with their straps like, fucking taped to their guitar.

The explanation was that they played the shit out of their instruments so hard in concert they ripping the strap buttons out and because they are so extreme and don't give a fuck, they macguyvered up a repair on tour with tape.

And I remember thinking like;

"
1) That instrument looks pretty new. Did they just play the shit out of the strap button area?
2) Wouldn't an effective repair, in the event that did really happen, involve going to a hardware store on tour and getting a bigger screw or eyebolt or whatever?
3) Seriously, tape doesn't seem very secure, at all. How is tape more secure and less likely to be ripped off/out of a guitar than a screw?
4) If somehow it really did happen, you would think that like, somewhere around the third or fourth guitar they ripped the strap button out of by being 2 EXXXTREME they would have been like, "I need to take steps to stop this"
5) I think they might just be putting tape there because they think it makes them look extreme.

"

I mean, in some ways, yeah I guess it's a hell of a show. But it's obviously rehearsed and semi scripted like Pro Wrestling.

For being legendarily out of control wildmen gripped in throes of insanity by their sick jams, they somehow managed to never bump into each other on stage. The "damage" from their antics was also weirdly confined to specific areas.

Which, you know, it's not just them. Musicians are performers. A bunch of the "cool looking out of control rawk god madman" moves people do on stage that they try to make look spontaeneous are rehearsed. But I don't by the "legit out of control chaos" thing.

·
Shredding 'till dead
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This happened in my hometown and the locals were all pissed. Fuck Dillinger Escape Plan, they're a bunch of assholes.
So were you or someone you knew at the show?

Eye of Hanatarash drove a bulldozer through the wall of a venue and onto the stage during a show with everyone inside.
Sounds intense.

Not that I give a fuck, but that band is very, very often cited at the top of the best live metal bands ever.
https://www.laweekly.com/the-10-best-live-bands-in-metal-right-now/

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
No surprises that they wouldn't be popular on this board. I'm not an uber fan but 'Calculating Infinity' might be the angriest album ever produced and 'One of us is the killer' reminds me of a now sadly departed friend.

I saw them at a small club show with their original singer and at Reading '99, it was a good show but their small club intensity was lost on a stage that size and they weren't yet experienced enough for large shows.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Yeah im not a massive fan but I know loads of people who are and a lot of them are very unlikely to be tricked with fake intensity. I like a few songs but the more hardcore sound and style isn't something I've ever enjoyed much, same with converge.

Good detailed posts here from folk who've never seen them though :lol:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Yeah im not a massive fan but I know loads of people who are and a lot of them are very unlikely to be tricked with fake intensity. I like a few songs but the more hardcore sound and style isn't something I've ever enjoyed much, same with converge.

Good detailed posts here from folk who've never seen them though
Thus thread has sent me off on a Calculating kick again, still love it

I'm the same with Converge, they're a band I've tried multiple times to get into but never quite found the spark that hooks me in. I checked them out at Donington one year to see if their live show would do it and, while it still wasn't music that grabbed me, holy fuck did they mean everything they played. By far the most intense and honest band of the whole weekend.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm friends with a guy who owned a small ~400 person or so club back in the day. Every time one of these edgelord bands like this came through, they'd fuck the place up on purpose. There's nothing edgy about tearing down a vent, swinging from the sprinkler system pipes or kicking over lighting trusses. It's just people being disrespectful assholes who don't give a shit that the place that booked them has bills to pay.

Fuck this shit band and their rubbish music.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I'm friends with a guy who owned a small ~400 person or so club back in the day. Every time one of these edgelord bands like this came through, they'd fuck the place up on purpose. There's nothing edgy about tearing down a vent, swinging from the sprinkler system pipes or kicking over lighting trusses. It's just people being disrespectful assholes who don't give a shit that the place that booked them has bills to pay.

Fuck this shit band and their rubbish music.
Indeed, and similarly fuck motley crue for the same reasons right? :lol:

·
Shredding 'till dead
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Gotta point something out here: noticing a lot of disapproval over venue destruction. Sure, that's problematic and or controversial for various reasons. But what about how some of these antics could cause damage to people? Let's also assume too that there may be some, maybe even quite a few, who would go to see them but be completely unaware of some of these antics yet get unexpectedly get 'damaged' by such feats.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Gotta point something out here: noticing a lot of disapproval over venue destruction. Sure, that's problematic and or controversial for various reasons. But what about how some of these antics could cause damage to people? Let's also assume too that there may be some, maybe even quite a few, who would go to see them but be completely unaware of some of these antics yet get unexpectedly get 'damaged' by such feats.
Totally, let's remove all elements of danger and bad behaviour from rock and roll. I'm sure what we will be left with will be fucking great....sorry "great".

·
Shredding 'till dead
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Totally, let's remove all elements of danger and bad behaviour from rock and roll. I'm sure what we will be left with will be fucking great....sorry "great".
Well, not really advocating for the removal of anything per se. But your point is taken about rock in this matter.

On the other hand, and to play the other side: not sure how you or anyone else would respond, well, to let's just say a piece of venue stuck in the head.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Well, not really advocating for the removal of anything per se. But your point is taken about rock in this matter.

On the other hand, and to play the other side: not sure how you or anyone else would respond, well, to let's just say a piece of venue stuck in the head.
Put it this way, if I went to see dillinger escape plan I wouldnt be standing at the front. But I am closer to 40 than 30 and long past being 20....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts