Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm friends with a guy who owned a small ~400 person or so club back in the day. Every time one of these edgelord bands like this came through, they'd fuck the place up on purpose. There's nothing edgy about tearing down a vent, swinging from the sprinkler system pipes or kicking over lighting trusses. It's just people being disrespectful assholes who don't give a shit that the place that booked them has bills to pay.

Fuck this shit band and their rubbish music.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Not sure where I land in the spectrum of this convo. :scratch:

Purposely tearing up a club is a douche move, but having it happen from the intensity of the show is #metal. I embedded the metal base of a mic stand in the stage at the Safari Club in DC once, pounding it into the stage to the beat of the song - didn't do it on purpose, it was the intensity of the show. On the flipside, doing stuff like that in a pre-meditated manner seems pretty poseriffic... Either way, the few times I've heard DEP it didn't do anything for me.

On a similar note, when Slayer utterly destroyed the Warner Theater in DC in the 80s, it was instantly the most legendary show the region ever saw - but did 10s of thousands of $$ in damage to the place. During that same time span, they played in NYC and the same thing happened - but Tom had the lightman shine all the lights on the crowd and he called out the people who were intentionally tearing the place up. Pretty sure that show is on YT somewhere.
I think part of getting old or "growing up" (not that we're a bastion of maturity around here) is realizing that a lot of the rock & roll things bands do is just a bunch of guys being inconsiderate assholes. Someone has to pay for the repairs that these bands to do clubs. When bands smash lights/speakers/whatever, it comes out of someone else's pocket somewhere. As it turns out, it's not cool at all. It's like inviting your party hard childhood buddy to your first real house and having him fall into a wall because he's wasted. It was funny when you had an apartment as a kid, but once it's your own place your perspective changes quite a bit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm not actually advocating venue destruction. I'm just shocked at the level of pearl clutching on a forum called metalguitarist.org
Maybe you should hit up the djent forums to revel in how sweet it was when your favorite band ruined a bunch of someone else's stuff for no reason. Or perhaps just go kick a hole in your own speakers? It's the metal thing to do, after all.

I just don't find fucking up someone else's livelihood to be a very cool thing to do.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Seriously tho the average age on here is like 30-50 these days. We aren't exactly a mecca for youthful energy. :lol:

I see bands damaging shit and I think in terms of how many trips to the hardware store it takes to fix it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
And the members in DEP are in that range too (now, not at the time where any of their shows were destructive). The main guitarist is 45, the singer and bassist are 40, and the drummer who was there is now 43. The band did a lot of insane stuff live from about 1997 to 2007 or so, and I don't mean to say "it's perfectly okay with me to destroy a venue," because it isn't, but they were in their 20s at the time and I'm sure it was the band themselves who had to pay for the damages (which, other than them getting older, may also be part of the reason why you haven't seen any destructive shows from them in the past decade or more). Plus, there have been tons of metal, punk, and rock bands that have destroyed venues (or hotels in the case of 1970s and 1980s huge party bands) and I don't really hear rock or metal fans decrying hair metal bands or classic rock bands for destroying their hotel or for causing damage at a show.
Make sure you don't bump into Nick while you do your coordinate whataboutism somersaults. :lol:

It was a douchey thing to do then, it's a douchey thing to do now. You think all these small clubs can afford to constantly sue bands who bring in their fans to keep the lights on? What happens when DEP plays a 400 seat club owned by someone like the friend of mine who I mentioned, and they tootle on down the road without replacing anything? Have you ever hired a contractor? It's not an instant process. If some assbag band comes in a breaks some HVAC shit in a club, the owner has to go out, get quotes, organize a time to have it repaired and then pay the contractor when it's done. It can take weeks, and by then the SuPeR InTenSe band is long gone. If the HVAC costs $1500, do you think a small club owner has the means to sue some band from halfway across the company if they just ignore him? I'll fill you in, they don't.

Most clubs are owned by dudes like you and I who have to pay the bills. Fucking their shit up is a douche move, and it doesn't matter if Motley Crue did it in 1980 or fuckin' Elvis did it in the 50s.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yep. Worst case the whole place is closed while things are repaired, so you don't only have to pay the damages, but also lose any revenue while things are being repaired - even if you could sue for damages, lost profits might not be as easy to prove.
This. I know it's a very un-rock-n-roll point of view, but I've never once been to a show and thought "man what a great show! Would have been better if the vocalist tore an AC compressor off the wall or smashed a glass full of beer onto that electrical panel".

I didn't give a shit about it as a kid either, but as an adult it's hard to ignore. If someone's dream is to own a rock club and pay the mortgage that way, it's not excusable for bands to come through and break things for showmanship. Dave had the right of it - The Who smashed their own shit. If this band so badly wants to destroy things on stage, I'm sure Kiezel will give them plenty of guitars worthy of the task.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't know, I feel like you are somewhat overstating the danger of this here, and somewhat ironic in a thread where the band in question has a vocalist who is the embodiment of that one kid we all knew in high school who kept breaking his hand because he punched walls when he was angry. It's actually quite difficult to harm a solid wall. Where is your first real house? Japan?
Considering the state of your house every time you post gear pics, let's just assume we aren't on the same page in terms of neatness. :lol:

I'm not sure if you find it difficult to fall and poke a hole in sheetrock, but maybe we're just built of sterner stuff over here in New England. Hell, I had Drew fall into some awesome glass shelves the morning AFTER a night of boozing and trash my damn bathroom.

I'm sure that would go with the mad max aesthetic and that ugly ass rug you hung on the wall anyway. :fawk:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.