Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
I will never think that this band is anything but an unlistenable pack of random bullshit.
That band is contrived as fuck.

I remember I kept seeing pictures of the bassist and guitarist, mostly the bassist, with their straps like, fucking taped to their guitar.

The explanation was that they played the shit out of their instruments so hard in concert they ripping the strap buttons out and because they are so extreme and don't give a fuck, they macguyvered up a repair on tour with tape.

And I remember thinking like;

"
1) That instrument looks pretty new. Did they just play the shit out of the strap button area?
2) Wouldn't an effective repair, in the event that did really happen, involve going to a hardware store on tour and getting a bigger screw or eyebolt or whatever?
3) Seriously, tape doesn't seem very secure, at all. How is tape more secure and less likely to be ripped off/out of a guitar than a screw?
4) If somehow it really did happen, you would think that like, somewhere around the third or fourth guitar they ripped the strap button out of by being 2 EXXXTREME they would have been like, "I need to take steps to stop this"
5) I think they might just be putting tape there because they think it makes them look extreme.

"

I mean, in some ways, yeah I guess it's a hell of a show. But it's obviously rehearsed and semi scripted like Pro Wrestling.

For being legendarily out of control wildmen gripped in throes of insanity by their sick jams, they somehow managed to never bump into each other on stage. The "damage" from their antics was also weirdly confined to specific areas.

Which, you know, it's not just them. Musicians are performers. A bunch of the "cool looking out of control rawk god madman" moves people do on stage that they try to make look spontaeneous are rehearsed. But I don't by the "legit out of control chaos" thing.

· Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
It's like inviting your party hard childhood buddy to your first real house and having him fall into a wall because he's wasted. It was funny when you had an apartment as a kid, but once it's your own place your perspective changes quite a bit.
I don't know, I feel like you are somewhat overstating the danger of this here, and somewhat ironic in a thread where the band in question has a vocalist who is the embodiment of that one kid we all knew in high school who kept breaking his hand because he punched walls when he was angry. It's actually quite difficult to harm a solid wall.

Where is your first real house? Japan?

Who is the friend in question? The Kool Aid man on PCP?

Is the wall in question load bearing? I feel like maybe you should have got a structural engineer to look at this place before buying it.

I've seen plenty of rich people get really tipsy and fall into their rich person walls at neighborhood rich people parties, and they've never like, actually damaged the wall.

I think that very early on, the hilariously douchey videos where douchebro lead singer is like, jumping on people's heads like a game of fucking frogger, their show might have been spontaneous douchebro energy, but it's actually really easy to get black listed from a venue and permanently fuck up your chances of ever playing anywhere if you actually do that stuff. It's like, pro wrestling stage shit. The shitty DEP band actually had a fairly long career as a touring band.

· Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
I think the Kool Aid man has been clean for a while now these days.

Also, since we are talking about shit in the "cool stuff that look tough but is actually ultra rehearsed and contrived and not something you should try at home" and people brought up"how is that any different than these glorified 80s rock bands throwing televisions through hotel windows" was brought up, I feel like I should point out that is just one of those cool sounding "rock and roll" myths. Some of that apocryphal stuff is true, but most of it is heavily exaggerated..... somehow most people think it's all 100% factual.

It's actually really, really fucking hard to break even a single pane window. All the glass you see breaking in movies is made out of sugar and is designed to break in a theatrical looking way. Seriously. There are a couple big companies that make most of it, you can do it yourself too. It's sometimes called "breakaway glass", it's not glass at all.

All those rockstar movies where they are like, throwing glass bottles at eachother and breaking windows and stuff, yeah, that shit never actually happened.

Do not ever attempt to break a real glass bottle over someone's head, or do the rockstar movie thing where you throw it at a wall and it shatters and it looks cool because you are a bad boy rock star. It will not work.

· Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
Also, while we're in the category of "stuntman/pro wrestling shit esque stuff Rock Stars do that definitely isn't spontaneous badassery and is shit you shouldn't try at home".....

Kip Winger is a trained ballerina, yes, really. A professional trained ballerina. If you try the Kip Winger "seventeen music video" stage moves at home you will also fuck yourself up.

· Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
I'm not sure if you find it difficult to fall and poke a hole in sheetrock, but maybe we're just built of sterner stuff over here in New England.
:lol:

More like your building code is seriously lax.

Legally speaking, over here, I'm pretty sure HVAC and sprinklers and stuff like that in a commercial setting have to be suspended from the roof with hardware/supports capable of withstanding the strain of at least 4 bro metal climbing around on them.

I think even most decorative chandelier chain is rated to hold like, at least two bro metal frontmen.

A serious chandelier light fixture in a residential setting could probably hold like, all of Dillinger Escape Plan.

I bet if I google "could a serious chandelier light fixture installed according to code withstand the strain of a bro metal frontman hanging from it" the first result would be "only an idiot with weak walls wouldn't know that".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.