Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
How come djent bands 'invented' having their effects changed automatically to a click track when all they do is stand the fuck in one place anyway? Too busy staring at the floor to step on a button?

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Seriously tho the average age on here is like 30-50 these days. We aren't exactly a mecca for youthful energy. :lol:

I see bands damaging shit and I think in terms of how many trips to the hardware store it takes to fix it.
And the members in DEP are in that range too (now, not at the time where any of their shows were destructive). The main guitarist is 45, the singer and bassist are 40, and the drummer who was there is now 43. The band did a lot of insane stuff live from about 1997 to 2007 or so, and I don't mean to say "it's perfectly okay with me to destroy a venue," because it isn't, but they were in their 20s at the time and I'm sure it was the band themselves who had to pay for the damages (which, other than them getting older, may also be part of the reason why you haven't seen any destructive shows from them in the past decade or more). Plus, there have been tons of metal, punk, and rock bands that have destroyed venues (or hotels in the case of 1970s and 1980s huge party bands) and I don't really hear rock or metal fans decrying hair metal bands or classic rock bands for destroying their hotel or for causing damage at a show.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
And Warner never booked another metal show again, which really sucked. At least that one wasn't on Slayer, though. It was the fans who decided to start ripping the seats out of the floor asunder tossing them around. Good on Tom for realizing their is a limit.
I don't remember anyone purposefully ripping seats out of the floor. We were 5th row center and when Slayer started everyone in the rows ahead of us stood up on their seats. So we had to do the same to see. Then they stood up on the seat backs, and we did too. Then (I can still vividly remember the feeling) the seat backs we were standing on collapsed, which essentially saw the first so many rows of seats crushed under the press of all the fans.

Don't recall anyone damaging things on purpose. Now, the NYC show, people were tearing the seat cushions off the seats and flinging them around, which is what got Tom to call them out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
And the members in DEP are in that range too (now, not at the time where any of their shows were destructive). The main guitarist is 45, the singer and bassist are 40, and the drummer who was there is now 43. The band did a lot of insane stuff live from about 1997 to 2007 or so, and I don't mean to say "it's perfectly okay with me to destroy a venue," because it isn't, but they were in their 20s at the time and I'm sure it was the band themselves who had to pay for the damages (which, other than them getting older, may also be part of the reason why you haven't seen any destructive shows from them in the past decade or more). Plus, there have been tons of metal, punk, and rock bands that have destroyed venues (or hotels in the case of 1970s and 1980s huge party bands) and I don't really hear rock or metal fans decrying hair metal bands or classic rock bands for destroying their hotel or for causing damage at a show.
Make sure you don't bump into Nick while you do your coordinate whataboutism somersaults. :lol:

It was a douchey thing to do then, it's a douchey thing to do now. You think all these small clubs can afford to constantly sue bands who bring in their fans to keep the lights on? What happens when DEP plays a 400 seat club owned by someone like the friend of mine who I mentioned, and they tootle on down the road without replacing anything? Have you ever hired a contractor? It's not an instant process. If some assbag band comes in a breaks some HVAC shit in a club, the owner has to go out, get quotes, organize a time to have it repaired and then pay the contractor when it's done. It can take weeks, and by then the SuPeR InTenSe band is long gone. If the HVAC costs $1500, do you think a small club owner has the means to sue some band from halfway across the company if they just ignore him? I'll fill you in, they don't.

Most clubs are owned by dudes like you and I who have to pay the bills. Fucking their shit up is a douche move, and it doesn't matter if Motley Crue did it in 1980 or fuckin' Elvis did it in the 50s.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Make sure you don't bump into Nick while you do your coordinate whataboutism somersaults. :lol:

It was a douchey thing to do then, it's a douchey thing to do now. You think all these small clubs can afford to constantly sue bands who bring in their fans to keep the lights on? What happens when DEP plays a 400 seat club owned by someone like the friend of mine who I mentioned, and they tootle on down the road without replacing anything? Have you ever hired a contractor? It's not an instant process. If some assbag band comes in a breaks some HVAC shit in a club, the owner has to go out, get quotes, organize a time to have it repaired and then pay the contractor when it's done. It can take weeks, and by then the SuPeR InTenSe band is long gone. If the HVAC costs $1500, do you think a small club owner has the means to sue some band from halfway across the company if they just ignore him? I'll fill you in, they don't.

Most clubs are owned by dudes like you and I who have to pay the bills. Fucking their shit up is a douche move, and it doesn't matter if Motley Crue did it in 1980 or fuckin' Elvis did it in the 50s.
Yep. Worst case the whole place is closed while things are repaired, so you don't only have to pay the damages, but also lose any revenue while things are being repaired - even if you could sue for damages, lost profits might not be as easy to prove.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yep. Worst case the whole place is closed while things are repaired, so you don't only have to pay the damages, but also lose any revenue while things are being repaired - even if you could sue for damages, lost profits might not be as easy to prove.
This. I know it's a very un-rock-n-roll point of view, but I've never once been to a show and thought "man what a great show! Would have been better if the vocalist tore an AC compressor off the wall or smashed a glass full of beer onto that electrical panel".

I didn't give a shit about it as a kid either, but as an adult it's hard to ignore. If someone's dream is to own a rock club and pay the mortgage that way, it's not excusable for bands to come through and break things for showmanship. Dave had the right of it - The Who smashed their own shit. If this band so badly wants to destroy things on stage, I'm sure Kiezel will give them plenty of guitars worthy of the task.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
This. I know it's a very un-rock-n-roll point of view, but I've never once been to a show and thought "man what a great show! Would have been better if the vocalist tore an AC compressor off the wall or smashed a glass full of beer onto that electrical panel".

I didn't give a shit about it as a kid either, but as an adult it's hard to ignore. If someone's dream is to own a rock club and pay the mortgage that way, it's not excusable for bands to come through and break things for showmanship. Dave had the right of it - The Who smashed their own shit. If this band so badly wants to destroy things on stage, I'm sure Kiezel will give them plenty of guitars worthy of the task.
I don't disagree with you at all there. I've personally always disliked the rock 'n' roll trope where the guitarist destroys his own guitar at the end of the show, which has happened since the 1960s, most commonly with them bashing it against something until the body and neck separate (only attached by the strings) and in some cases where they've lit it in fire. A waste of a good guitar (and even if it was a cheap guitar, which sometimes it was and sometimes it was crazy expensive) and damage to the venue. So I'm definitely not saying "Hey, I love what they did and think it was amazing" (since I obviously don't think that and am personally not a fan of any level of destruction, period). And maybe it is whataboutism, but I just get the feeling like DEP is getting singled out as if this is some unique level that no one else has never done before. :shrug:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Plus, there have been tons of metal, punk, and rock bands that have destroyed venues (or hotels in the case of 1970s and 1980s huge party bands) and I don't really hear rock or metal fans decrying hair metal bands or classic rock bands for destroying their hotel or for causing damage at a show.
And this is why its mandatory, at most hotels, now that you have to leave a credit card on file....even if you're paying in cash.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
A waste of a good guitar (and even if it was a cheap guitar, which sometimes it was and sometimes it was crazy expensive)
And sometimes it was a cheap guitar with a pre-sawn neck that was easier to break, if you were Paul Stanley.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
And sometimes it was a cheap guitar with a pre-sawn neck that was easier to break, if you were Paul Stanley.
A pity they did break all their guitars in the studio before recording.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I don't remember anyone purposefully ripping seats out of the floor. We were 5th row center and when Slayer started everyone in the rows ahead of us stood up on their seats. So we had to do the same to see. Then they stood up on the seat backs, and we did too. Then (I can still vividly remember the feeling) the seat backs we were standing on collapsed, which essentially saw the first so many rows of seats crushed under the press of all the fans.

Don't recall anyone damaging things on purpose. Now, the NYC show, people were tearing the seat cushions off the seats and flinging them around, which is what got Tom to call them out.
Back in the day in the Igloo in Pittsburgh they put metal folding chairs in for floor seats.... Yeah people stood on those and if you were not right at the front you had to stand on yours also or you could not see shit.

Standing on folding metal chairs sucks. Standing on metal folding chairs after drinking a bit really sucks.

They stopped putting them out except in the very back after a while. It always amazed me that nobody ever started throwing those tho.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It's like inviting your party hard childhood buddy to your first real house and having him fall into a wall because he's wasted. It was funny when you had an apartment as a kid, but once it's your own place your perspective changes quite a bit.
I don't know, I feel like you are somewhat overstating the danger of this here, and somewhat ironic in a thread where the band in question has a vocalist who is the embodiment of that one kid we all knew in high school who kept breaking his hand because he punched walls when he was angry. It's actually quite difficult to harm a solid wall.

Where is your first real house? Japan?

Who is the friend in question? The Kool Aid man on PCP?

Is the wall in question load bearing? I feel like maybe you should have got a structural engineer to look at this place before buying it.

I've seen plenty of rich people get really tipsy and fall into their rich person walls at neighborhood rich people parties, and they've never like, actually damaged the wall.

I think that very early on, the hilariously douchey videos where douchebro lead singer is like, jumping on people's heads like a game of fucking frogger, their show might have been spontaneous douchebro energy, but it's actually really easy to get black listed from a venue and permanently fuck up your chances of ever playing anywhere if you actually do that stuff. It's like, pro wrestling stage shit. The shitty DEP band actually had a fairly long career as a touring band.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I think the Kool Aid man has been clean for a while now these days.

Also, since we are talking about shit in the "cool stuff that look tough but is actually ultra rehearsed and contrived and not something you should try at home" and people brought up"how is that any different than these glorified 80s rock bands throwing televisions through hotel windows" was brought up, I feel like I should point out that is just one of those cool sounding "rock and roll" myths. Some of that apocryphal stuff is true, but most of it is heavily exaggerated..... somehow most people think it's all 100% factual.

It's actually really, really fucking hard to break even a single pane window. All the glass you see breaking in movies is made out of sugar and is designed to break in a theatrical looking way. Seriously. There are a couple big companies that make most of it, you can do it yourself too. It's sometimes called "breakaway glass", it's not glass at all.

All those rockstar movies where they are like, throwing glass bottles at eachother and breaking windows and stuff, yeah, that shit never actually happened.

Do not ever attempt to break a real glass bottle over someone's head, or do the rockstar movie thing where you throw it at a wall and it shatters and it looks cool because you are a bad boy rock star. It will not work.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, while we're in the category of "stuntman/pro wrestling shit esque stuff Rock Stars do that definitely isn't spontaneous badassery and is shit you shouldn't try at home".....

Kip Winger is a trained ballerina, yes, really. A professional trained ballerina. If you try the Kip Winger "seventeen music video" stage moves at home you will also fuck yourself up.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts