Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

After a complex series of events, I now have a hard drive on my laptop that can't be booted from(unmountable boot volume bsod) and a partial backup on one external drive. The manufacturer did not include a Windows disc and I can't start my computer to get my key so I'm kind of stuck.

What I thought about doing was installing Linux on my other external from my mom's Windows 7 machine and setting my laptop to boot first from USB. Wouldn't it then be possible maybe to retrieve the rest of my data off the old hard drive before sending the laptop in for repair?

Only thing is I haven't done something like this before. I've been reading up on it. Seems simple, but am I overlooking something?

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
You don't actually have to install Linux; you could boot up a live CD/DVD/USB that lets you use the actual OS, then access your Windows partition that you can't boot and copy your data to an external HD.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

:lol: Duh. I always go right to the complex solution. I'll try this first.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
:agreed:

I've used this method to save my ass many times. Download and burn the live CD and then boot your computer off of it. The live CD should recognize your hard drives and you should be able to simply copy your files over to your "good" hard drive.

Perchance, is your product key located on a sticker somewhere on your computers case? Usually OEMs put the keys on the case like that, and you should be able to legally download the installation media via bit torrent and use your legit product key.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I wish the product key on the case was visible. There's some kind of mark obscuring four of the characters.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

I wish the product key on the case was visible. There's some kind of mark obscuring four of the characters.
:( That sucks. Computer manufacturers used to include the operating system manual often with a card or a sticker in/on it with the product key, now they give you problems...

I think that we may have discussed a similar issue in the past on the forum and the answer was to contact the OEM and demand either the same key or a replacement key. What would make sense would be keeping a sales database that links serial numbers to product keys but that may be too much to ask....

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I got hopeful and went through all the documentation that came with the laptop. But, alas...

It would be nice if OEMs did keep track of product keys. I mean, if you register your machine for warranty purposes, lots of companies keep track of the serial number on your own online profile. Wouldn't be hard to include product keys. Maybe I should have written the key down somewhere on day one, but even if I did- things happen.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
The live cd works really well, Stuh84 saved loads of data off a failed hard drive for me that way about 18 months ago.

As for product keys, I'm actually thinking that since you pay for the copy of the operating system you should get the damn cd like you did in the old days. After all, since you've paid for the software you should have the ability to reinstall in whenever you want or even move you license to a new machine should you wish. But that's too much like customer service these days.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You know, that's what I thought as well. I know they used to have to give you a Windows CD if you asked because you had paid for the software. I got an XP CD from Dell that way. Then, I heard or read somewhere that was no longer the case.

Anywho, real customer service is dying. I imagine the days of "You have a problem with our product? Well, fuck you!" aren't far off.... Maybe :lol:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
:( That sucks. Computer manufacturers used to include the operating system manual often with a card or a sticker in/on it with the product key, now they give you problems...

I think that we may have discussed a similar issue in the past on the forum and the answer was to contact the OEM and demand either the same key or a replacement key. What would make sense would be keeping a sales database that links serial numbers to product keys but that may be too much to ask....
Yeah. That was me. I kindly got told to go fuck myself by HP. :noway:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Yeah. That was me. I kindly got told to go fuck myself by HP. :noway:
I just downloaded a legit copy and then when it didnt work after 10 days (said I need to activate still) I called up Microshaft and bitched at them till I got a supervisor and a new product code :yesway:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. So, I finally got the LiveCd working (no one was seeding a complete version). Got into Midnight Commander and mounted my old drive and my external. I tried to copy the old data to the external but I got "Cannot create targeted directory "x" permission denied (13)":wallbash:

This is my first foray into Linux and I no longer have any idea what I'm doing.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
sounds like you don't have permissions for some reason, also why are you using MC :lol: yeah it kicks ass for CLI but wtf.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Because I'm a n00b!!! :( I automatically get taken to Adriane and then when I select File Management, I get taken to MC.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OK! I want to say the problem was another incomplete torrent. I downloaded from another tracker and there's waaaay more documents in the directory. I'm also downloading Ubuntu, though. I am determined to get this goddamned data. Even if it kills me!:hungus:

Edit: Success! The problem was the other CD only included ADRIANE. That was why I couldn't actually get into Linux :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts