Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RG7620 must have superior tones to Quigs's JP7, because the CL/LF 7 pickups really aren't bad at all in my guitar. They're quite soft in the top end, but that doesn't affect the clarity. I can see why the djent crowd loves 'em.

The only problem is they're too close to the strings, even with no foam. The ceramic Liquifire neck is making wolfy tones with artificial harmonics.

Still, the Crunch Lab is miles better than the Evo7 I used to have, and while compressed to hell compared to the Cold Sweat set, I prefer the bark that these exhibit. And the Liquifire is smooooooooth and kind of Stratty.

Plus this thing needed some TLC and an overall refresh. :wub:

New workstation.

La da daa...

Hum da bum...

Project parts organizer. :metal:

Soop's Firestudio looks on at how comfy the RG7620 is.

And what's this? A toan massage? Aw, now he's pissed! :pissed:

Appropriate shitty-toned tunes. I feel like MDV is watching me. :lol:

Ye olde wiring.

Ye new pickups. Custom Crunch Lab 7 and LiquiFire 7 in cream/black zebra with nickel polepieces/blade. :yum:

p.s. Balls ARE best. I love Banjomikez. :yesway:

Proper soldering station, finally.

Bye bye...

Great tool to have when dealing with small hardware. :miniwang:

Little screw get stuck?

Fuck it, you got it like a bauss. :yesway:

I get classy ambiance with my pickup changes. :yesway:

First peek.

Don't have a solder sucker? Try some copper wick.

Just burn the crappy olde solder into the wick. I removed all of the old solder from all connections.

New 0.022uF orange drop caps, 500k CTS Alpha pot (one push/pull, one standard) and switch tips. Which don't fit. Anyone got a spare Ibanez switch tip? :wub:

******* shows me how to do it on the left, while John shows me how to do it on the right. :james:

The Final Product.

Better shot, with the tone knob attached.

The wiring is now more complicated, but cleaner. Made a few amateur mistakes, like overstripping ends and cutting my pickup leads too short so I had to make a bunch of extensions. :noway:

All in all, a very successful project, took about 4-5 hours of work and documentation here, and I finally have a nice tight barky low end on this thing with a great clear solo tone.

The split-middle position is activated by pulling the tone knob, and makes a phenomenal clean tone.

I do sense that these will soon wind up in Quigs's old ash-bodied Schecter C7, because the extra sustain and brightness of that guitar should really make the pickups shine, and the cream will go perfectly with the cream binding on that guitar. So hopefully this has an Aftermath in it sooner than later...

Thanks for reading. :wavey:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: Now I feel kind of bad about my thread. :(
I've been at this for like three days. :lol:

Still, these are going to look even better in the C7, some of their shortcomings will be ameliorated, and I can adjust the pickup height to taste.

Plus I've got 4 Petrucci knobs on the way. :D

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
floyd upgrade.com sells "noiseless" trem springs, they are painted and work great. I have them in my rico. I tried some other "methods" but my trem would never return in tune. cheap too.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
floyd upgrade.com sells "noiseless" trem springs, they are painted and work great. I have them in my rico. I tried some other "methods" but my trem would never return in tune. cheap too.
:yesway:

Is this the right brass block for my Edge Lo-Pro 7?

Ibanez 7 String Brass Big Block [BSB0IBZ7] - $39.95 : FloydUpgrades.com!, Floyd Rose Tremolo Upgrades

The springs say, "Fits Kahler, Fender, Floyd Rose and their licensed products." Does that include my Edge Lo-Pro 7 as it's technically an LFR?

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=200

Also, will a $20 bubinga pick make my acoustic djent?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Leon said:
De-soldering braid > solder sucker

:yesway:
This

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I quite liked my CL/LF in my 1527. They are in my 2027 right now, and I love the LF in it, but the CL seems too soft for mahogany or something. I want a bit more bite.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FWIW, these sound and look way better in my ash-bodied, cream-bound Schecter C7. :dio:

By moving the CL/LF7's to the Schecter, I took advantage of the ash body's long sustain and relaxed midrange/hyped trebles. The pickup rings also allow me to run the pickups much lower -- about 5-6 mm instead of ~3 mm in the 7620. No Stratitis and a more open sound than I was getting in the Ibanez, and the combination of crushing low mids and singing sustain is super sweet.

Here's hoping the Holy Diver sounds equally awesome in my 7620, because the CL/LF were 90% of what I wanted in the Ibanez. Direct comparison of the Crunch Lab 7 and the HD 7 shows a leaner and faster bass response in the HD, a much more open feel overall, and a darker midrange/sweeter top. I slightly preferred the HD in the Schecter because the more open response suited this guitar well; it seems naturally compressed. But this set looks too damn good and sounds killer.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Looks fantastic. Love the matching color theme you got going. Nice job!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts