Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved it so much on the netbook I had to try it on the desktop. In terms of user friendliness linux has come so fucking far. I'm falling in love with it all over again :)

Fortunately, most of the software I use is cross-platform. :D

I'm still not sure if I would give up OS X because I love it so much, and i would miss software like iWork '09, Logic, Final Cut, etc...

I just wanted to share :) Who else is using 10.04?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, Compiz is fucking sweet. This did not exist the last time I used linux.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I've got 10.4 running on a spare laptop, which thanks to a broken charger, I ended up using it as my main computer for a couple of weeks.

In terms of the advancements over what it was like about 2 or 3 years ago, it has come so far its almost unrecognisable. The font rendering is getting very very good, and the whole experience seems more integrated than just gaffa-taped together.

Still, I am not going to give up OS X for it, as I still prefer it, it still is more polished, and there's quite a few odd errors I found when running it daily for a couple of weeks which seem a bit....school boy-ish I'd put it as. Things like not remembering the states of menubars on some boots, but remembering them on others, some weird problems with VNC, and still OpenOffice is just not a patch on the MS and Apple equivalents.

Overall though, 7/10 I'd give it :)

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:agreed: with all of your points.

I would not be against using Ubuntu daily though, even for productivity. OS X has more polish overall, but Ubuntu has gotten so ridiculously close.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One -1 for Ubuntu. Handbrake is encoding slow as fuck. On OS X it's blazing.

This is probably not Ubuntu's fault though...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Honestly I would more than likely jump ship to Ubuntu full time if the software I use had a good equivalent there. But it just doesn't, and that's disappointing. I do use it heavily though, especially on the server-side. I run a VMWare ESX machine at home, and have several Ubuntu VM's on it, both desktop and server versions. I even dump raw files for Handbrake to encode on a VM, which then copies itself to a NAS when it's done.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I ran Ubuntu 10.04 on this laptop for a while, until, like Stu, I realized OpenOffice was just NOT going to work for me. Back on Windows 7 on here, though I don't regret that one bit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've got it running on a Dell server at work, and in a VM at home for development. Once upon a time I always ran Debian for stability, but I moved to RH/Fedora because at the time, the stock install had the best driver support. There's nothing more obnoxious than having to roll your own XF86Config. (Yo, what's the vsync and refresh rate on this 3 year old NEC 17" LCD?!?")

The last Fedora seemed slick until you get into it, there's just so much bloat there it's not funny, so over the last half year everything I do is Ubuntu. They've really done a hell of a job. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I ran Ubuntu 10.04 on this laptop for a while, until, like Stu, I realized OpenOffice was just NOT going to work for me. Back on Windows 7 on here, though I don't regret that one bit.
I'm running Office 2008 for Mac (work provides it) and it's pretty good. The only WTF (and it's a big one) is that after using Outlook for 11 bajillion years both home and at work, the Mac variant is Entourage, which is nowhere near as good. I'm used to it now since it's been a few moths, but it still sucks.

I don't even want to get into what it took to import all my shit from a PST file into Entourage. I had to buy some shareware thing, and it took me the better part of a weekend. Why there is no native converter to go from one of their products to another is beyond me, but that's M$ for you.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Chris said:
I've got it running on a Dell server at work, and in a VM at home for development. Once upon a time I always ran Debian for stability, but I moved to RH/Fedora because at the time, the stock install had the best driver support. There's nothing more obnoxious than having to roll your own XF86Config. (Yo, what's the vsync and refresh rate on this 3 year old NEC 17" LCD?!?")

The last Fedora seemed slick until you get into it, there's just so much bloat there it's not funny, so over the last half year everything I do is Ubuntu. They've really done a hell of a job. :yesway:
I'm glad those days are over. Building XF86Config's was such a pain in the ass :lol: but....it was fun in a way.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Jeff said:
Honestly I would more than likely jump ship to Ubuntu full time if the software I use had a good equivalent there. But it just doesn't, and that's disappointing. I do use it heavily though, especially on the server-side. I run a VMWare ESX machine at home, and have several Ubuntu VM's on it, both desktop and server versions. I even dump raw files for Handbrake to encode on a VM, which then copies itself to a NAS when it's done.
How fast is Handbrake encoding for you on Ubuntu? OS X smokes Ubuntu in my experience.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Yeah entourage is suckass, I tried setting it up for somebody one time and it was like uhhh. I have 9.04 on my desktop I think, maybe when I get a new system I will upgrade

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Upgrading is worth it man, I would do it right now if I were you. :lol: Maybe I'm behind the linux times, but 10.04 is blowing me away.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ahh, you're one of those guys who likes to fumble through a config file to get right click to work :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Yeah entourage is suckass, I tried setting it up for somebody one time and it was like uhhh. I have 9.04 on my desktop I think, maybe when I get a new system I will upgrade
Upgrade immediately, 10.04's boot time's are absurd, my brother mentioned something about them getting rid of the HAL, which made boot times super fast. My laptop(Core 2 Duo, 2gb mem, 64gb SSD) booted into Ubuntu in under 15s, fully logged in and Opera already open.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

No more HAL? What are they using now? I did notice the lack of hardware checks and such on boot.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm running Office 2008 for Mac (work provides it) and it's pretty good. The only WTF (and it's a big one) is that after using Outlook for 11 bajillion years both home and at work, the Mac variant is Entourage, which is nowhere near as good. I'm used to it now since it's been a few moths, but it still sucks.

I don't even want to get into what it took to import all my shit from a PST file into Entourage. I had to buy some shareware thing, and it took me the better part of a weekend. Why there is no native converter to go from one of their products to another is beyond me, but that's M$ for you.
Outlook 2011 for Mac is coming out in the Fall I do believe. Hopefully it'll mirror what they've done in the Windows version for Office 2010. It's quite nice. Entourage is easily the shittiest mail client I've ever used.

How fast is Handbrake encoding for you on Ubuntu? OS X smokes Ubuntu in my experience.
Honestly, I have no idea. I use RipIt on the Mac for moving one of the DVD's I legally bought and rightfully own :D and then shuffle it to the virtual machine sitting on my ESX box, and it's usually running terminal only. Then I set it with a cue of 1 or more jobs, and let it go.

Provided nothing else is going on the ESX box at the time, all the mp4's are there in the morning when I get up.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Updating fom 9.10 to 10.04 right now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts