Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy's girlfriend just dropped me a line via Facebook - she's buying him an acoustic guitar for Christmas, and was wondering if I could suggest a good instruction book for him to go along with it. He plays a bit, but not seriously - knows a few STP tunes, a few Nirvana tunes, and a few songs by high school friends' bands, but that's about it.

My normal inclination here is Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar and/or Rock Discipline, but that's probably not appropriate here. :lol: Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Is there anything that really focuses on ear training? That seems like off that bat it would be really helpful. Don't really know a whole lot about what's out there in terms of books though. Otherwise I second the metallica/beer recommendation.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I should probably buy those Govan books, keep in mind this is for a guy who's not looking to become a shred god, on his new acoustic. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
While I should probably buy those Govan books, keep in mind this is for a guy who's not looking to become a shred god, on his new acoustic. :lol:
The first book (and the first portion of it in particular) is one of the best guitar-centered explanations of music theory I've read. I think that portion is definitely valuable. The Govan books buck the trend of most shredder-authored books in that they're very good books for any guitarist who wants to be a musician. I think they could use a bit more info about chord progressions and strumming chords, but otherwise they're very good.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I can't remember the name of the book I was taught with, but it comes with a CD and is very easy to get through. White cover with a red strat and acoustic on the cover, yet the name escapes me...

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first book (and the first portion of it in particular) is one of the best guitar-centered explanations of music theory I've read. I think that portion is definitely valuable. The Govan books buck the trend of most shredder-authored books in that they're very good books for any guitarist who wants to be a musician. I think they could use a bit more info about chord progressions and strumming chords, but otherwise they're very good.
See, this guy wants to strum chords. Govan probably isn't the way to go. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Tabs. Get him a couple solid tab books of bands/albums he's really into :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
If he wants to strum pre-existing songs just get him those chord chart/map things.

I didn't start out on guitar, but I had a bass book when I first started playing music, and beyond the basic mechanics it's pretty intuitive.

Honestly like, the first ten pages of most every book is good for basic mechanics (of which there are fewer on acoustic), and then you are better off just learning general theory. The mechanics are great, but if you progress beyond that to where they are doing stuff more based in music theory and reading notation, it's better to go general music theory, since that is less limiting than guitar.

The classical ones are also all going to be better than the acoustic ones in terms of quality. There are a lot of great classical instruction books out there, but acoustic is like, strumming and chord shapes.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I will refrain from mentioning "Sheets Of Sound" then :)

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
How about the Justin Guitar songbooks?
This is more or less what I came here to recommend: Justin Sandercoe has done tuition books to go along with his excellent YouTube videos. He's not metal, but it sounds very much like what he offers is what your friend wants.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys, Christmas was a month ago. :lol:

My buddy wanted an acoustic, rocka. He listens to a lot of diverse stuff so maybe an electric will one day be in his future, but for now an acoustic is what he wanted to learn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts