Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Cameras charged, thermos flask primed, boots softened for quick escapes - can't wait. Even if I'm up at 4am :(

Can't wait to see pics!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics'll tell it better than words, although I'm assured I went out on the live Eurosport feed.

Lancer hit a stump, span out, missed me by about oh, a foot, because I dived out the way in the fastest display of energy or self preservation I've ever shown. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Rally fans are fucking nuts. I love seeing the footage of cars screaming down dirt straightaways as fans dive off of the road a dozen feet ahead of them.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taken out? WTF?! :lol:
I feel obliged to update this. :lol: I have copied and pasted the text I wrote on facebook. None of these photos are edited.

The perils of rally photography; the best shots are taken from the most brain dead locations. I am standing about ~30-40 metres down from this corner on the outside, behind a gully and stone wall, which I chose because there was no way a car could hit me if it simply ran wide through the corner. However, that is not the only thing rally cars can do...

Mr. Greer cuts too deep, as you can see the lateral momentum from the inordinate amount of spray of rocks and gravel.
Smacks a tree stump just as this shot is being taken, which...
...barrels the car round the other way. At this point all I could think was "Thank god for rapid shutter, these shots will be amazing!". You can't tell from the picture, but the car is about ~20m away from me at this point.
Last photo; out of focus because I finally twigged and started running. The car landed where I was standing less than a second later. Missed by a foot or two; the rear wing clipped my elbow as I ran! Cost; dignity, a very muddy Canon, a very shaky Simon!

Got a standing ovation from the photographers at the bottom of the hill, though!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Awesome pics dude - Rally Racing kicks ass - loving watching on TV. Don't think I'd want to be that close. You got nards of steel - but sounds like no harm done and a great story to tell.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wow Stitch! Both awesome and very scary. Glad you are okay, even though you will probably just flame the next post I make anyway :lol:

Cheers dude, and awesome pics!

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Holy fuck Stitch, don't be letting your guard down out there.

Excellent shots dude! :yesway:

Rallying is probably my favourite form of motorsport. :cool:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A bit off topic, but what is the purpose of a hood scoop on a front-engined car? Just more downforce?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
hood scoop? usually for ventilation for the intercooler or the thing on the top is for air for the drivers?, shrug, also could be for the brakes, shrug

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mean on the engine cover (bonnet) or on the roof of the car? Neither produce downforce.
The one on the roof of the car is a ram-air scoop for cooling the cockpit on the cars I have inspected (there is no baffling like in a road car, so they get very hot and very loud).
The one on the bonnet produces a ram air effect that helps eke a bit more power out of the engine. The cars are tuned to within an inch of their lives; they hiss, crackle and pop constantly, turbo whines and all. The bonnet scoop provides two things; cooler ambient air (as opposed to air under the bonnet like in most road going cars) which is also denser (since it is cooler) and more oxygen rich. At the speeds these cars go at it also imparts a sort of supercharging effect (I forget the name of the effect, although it is well documented) due to the speed and pressure of air entry. Typically there is a venturi section after the scoop to further accelerate airflow.

Edit: Google says it is known as 'resonance supercharging'. Not the name I was taught, but...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oops, yeah, meant roof scoop.

Interesting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts