·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Joshua

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Saw that. Doesn't impact me one way or another, I guess, as the only member of that band I'm really interested in is Sean Malone.

...actually, given the subject matter, I should probably find a better way to say that than "interested in." :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wow… good for them. It's tough for anyone to come out, but especially those who exist in a hyper-macho world of certain genres of music or in professional team sports.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I think that article paints metal fans with a really broad and negative light. Yes, your typical meathead metal fan is probably an idiot about LGBT issues. But most of the metalheads I know, like the guys on this board for example, are some of the kindest and most open-minded people you'll ever meet.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Metal is still a very hyper-masculine and hyper-hetero genre of music, right up there with rap and country. Have there been many openly gay rappers or country music stars?

The world is becoming more progressive, open and accepting, but there will always be pockets of ignorance.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I think that article paints metal fans with a really broad and negative light. Yes, your typical meathead metal fan is probably an idiot about LGBT issues. But most of the metalheads I know, like the guys on this board for example, are some of the kindest and most open-minded people you'll ever meet.
I hate to extrapolate based on my peers TOO far, but I'd say amongst the musicians I know, at least, we don't particularly give a shit; musicianship pretty much trumps everything.

Even political orientation, just look at Crooks! :crooks:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
There's a lot of different metal and a lot of different metalheads. I certainly think there is more homophobia among fans of bands that have that whole tough-guy image going on, than among fans of Cynic and similar bands.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I've known this for a while from talking to people who know Masvidal... It also makes one of the lyrics in Death's The Philosopher make a lot of sense... Doesn't really matter to me.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It's fascinating that there's been such a turnaround in 20 years:

"My last memory of this band was of people yelling at us to get off the stage," Masvidal said, still a bit choked up at the thought. "To finally hear thousands of people singing our lyrics back at us was really emotional."

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The main thing is probably the difference between opening for Cannibal Corpse and playing a gig where people actually came to listen to them. Would the reaction be different if they opened for Cannibal Corpse today?
Possibly. The music in and of itself is more accepted amongst the metal community these days too. Then again, I can't stand Cannibal Corpse, so I will admit I don't know what their concerts are like!

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Considering that practically no one in the metal community gave a fuck when Halford came out, I'd say the article's generalization of the metal community is completely off base. They probably think we're all that one racist, *******, homophobic, wannabe Phil Anselmo dude in a Pantera shirt that is at every show.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Considering that practically no one in the metal community gave a fuck when Halford came out, I'd say the article's generalization of the metal community is completely off base. They probably think we're all that one racist, *******, homophobic, wannabe Phil Anselmo dude in a Pantera shirt that is at every show.
I completely agree.

Hyper masculine???? Metal fans are the MOST accepting of ANY differences people have. Metal is based on outcasts of society. That article is so far off, that its comical.

Oh, and by the way, I love Cannibal Corpse, but I also love Cynic. So... yea.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Eh, that guy is by no means in the majority but let's not pretend there aren't a fair number of them. And anyway, it's not like there's no gray area between "death to ****" and being cool with gay people. Using gay, ***, etc as derogatory terms is still pretty common (slightly more so among metalheads than in the general population, in my experience). Shit, I still do it occasionally even though I make a conscious effort not to. Old habits die hard.

I dunno, I didn't really get the sense that the article was pushing a particular view of the community. It's 90% direct quotes from the Cynic dudes (and Halford) talking about their owns experiences, and it seems to talk about fans being positive and accepting at least as much as it does about them being assholes.

Edit: Also, new Cynic still sucks :rofl:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.