Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Did anyone else get the feeling that the entire interview was "i didn't make any money in metal so now i'm going adult contemporary. I like money."?

That's sort of what i heard. I can get wanting to do something different and liking more than one genre but that whole interview seemed to focus on making money. That isn't what it should be about, is it?

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I liked Ra. I saw them on tour with Godhead some time ago, and they put on a really great show.

Did anyone else get the feeling that the entire interview was "i didn't make any money in metal so now i'm going adult contemporary. I like money."?

That's sort of what i heard. I can get wanting to do something different and liking more than one genre but that whole interview seemed to focus on making money. That isn't what it should be about, is it?
Eh, I kinda got that vibe, too. It's unfortunate, but if some good music ends up coming out of it, then it's all good, I suppose.

·
18,790 Posts
It's not that far of a stretch for him, really. Listening to the album "Duality" (which I love), it's catchy as hell from start to finish, and it's always been obvious he's a big fan of The Police.

Starving for your music is easy when you're passionate about it, but if he wasn't really feeling it anymore, and was sick of the label drama, I can understand why he'd want to do something a little more himself and that he could maybe make a living with.

Not to mention, Universal has a habit of fucking over great bands. For example, I Mother Earth were told they wouldn't get a second single from their last album and so they had to pay for this video and its release/promotion themselves, which resulted in it only getting played a handful of times:

Why did Universal not want to promote an awesome, hard-working band with a big following and a great album? Because they thought this would be the better artist to support:

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
IIRC it's just a Stef with a different inlay.
And a neck pickup, When I saw Ra back in the day I swear he had a similar gold one with passives. It was a great show, I still have Ben's pick he threw out, I used it to record one of the songs for my band.

I'm not sure I like the two songs mentioned, they are okay, but they bore me a little bit. I don't really get that whole John Mayerish/Rob Thomas style though, there aren't enough hooks to keep my attention. The other songs he has on there are way better, the Ghost Town one sounded good to me. I hope he does well because I really liked black sun and want another Ra album.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I think the real moral to this story is do not sign with universal - you would be better off doing your own release
No, the real moral to this story is if you want to make a living in the music business, you need to look a certain way and regurgitate exactly the pop drivel that the label tells you to, since the average listener is an uncultured philistine who cannot appreciate anything with more than three chords and a stock booty-shaking beat.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
No, the real moral to this story is if you want to make a living in the music business, you need to look a certain way and regurgitate exactly the pop drivel that the label tells you to, since the average listener is an uncultured philistine who cannot appreciate anything with more than three chords and a stock booty-shaking beat.
:agreed: So true.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

No, I heard that he loved what he was doing, wanted to make a living off of it, and it didn't work out, largely because of the record label sucking.

Making music shouldn't be 100% about the money, but it's a big part of it if you're going to try and be a small business and live off of it.

If Sahaj had a day job in addition to this, then that would be different.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Yup its sad isnt it :(

Why did they spend so much on recording? It shouldn't take that much money, especially seeing as it's no longer the 80's. :ugh:
I actually cringed at the 175k pricetag....

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Notice that he said, "I dont want to tour the US with Ra." I'm sure that when a band like that tours overseas they get much more of a response from crowds as opposed to playing to bartenders and empty glasses. I sure in hell would choose Japan and Europe over US any day- those places can appreciate good musicianship more so than simple-minded US crowds. Furthermore, when you're on a huge label like Universal, you better believe they can care less about artistic merit. They want sales and figures... and good ones. They will probably have better luck with an indie/smaller label who can focus on a great target audience for them.

The bottom line is that if you can't take care and support yourself in the music business, your music will UNDOUBTEDLY suffer as well.

Bingo. Same thing happened to Element 80.
Very true. Universal has a history of not pulling through on the promotion/marketing end. I'm very good friends with Samantha Cole, who's an R&B pop star who had a few hits in the early 90's, (big competition to Mariah Carey during this time). In any case, they put tons of money into her recording with Dave Foster and other notable producers but really lacked promotion. Needless to say she's doing much better on her own

1 - 20 of 53 Posts