Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean, how can you top Dio?
Unpossible. The best you can hope for is someone just as powerful and unique, like a Bruce Dickinson, and go off in a completely different direction.

As much as it pains me to say it, there is no shame in retirement. Tony and Geezer accomplished a whole lot.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I just hope tony continues to do something.

Something that doesn't involve Ozzy or Glen Hughes. Preferably involving Henry Rollins.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts

Something that doesn't involve Ozzy or Henry Rollins. Preferably involving Glenn Hughes.
Corrected that for you. :)

Actually, if Tony was to work with anyone who sang on the Iommi album, I would prefer it to be that chick from Skunk Anansie. She is a killer vocalist, and I thought that hers was the best track on the album.

From the interview, it sounds likely that Tony and Geezer will move onto a new project together, once they're in the right state of mind to decide what to do.

Tony didn't rule out working with Ozzy, but he didn't sound particularly enthused about it, either. Since Ozzy's going to be busy promoting his shitty new album for quite awhile, Tony/Geezer would have to find a new singer if they wanted to do anything in the near future. Glenn Hughes is also busy with a new band, so maybe they could work with Jorn Lande or something. I'd go for that.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

Something that doesn't involve Ozzy. Preferably involving Henry Rollins or Glen Hughes. Fuck, even Dave Grohl or Billy Idol, or anyone from the above youtubed album.
Fixed, again :wub:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Can they make a Born Again supergroup? I always thought Gillan was killer with sabbath.
Gillan couldn't hit those Born Again notes anymore even if they put his nuts in a vice. :lol:

For the record, I also love Born Again. It still sounds pretty radical after all these years.

Heck, Tony and Geezer ought to just recruit Jorn Lande for a real project. Not only would they get one of the world's best vocalists, but he would finally get the much wider exposure he deserves.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
You guys are crazy, i cannot enjoy a single minute of the SUPERB instrumental awesomeness, that is on Born Again, because of Gillan - he ruined the whole record, right from the start, with this high screams - it makes me turn off the record immediately. As if he would scream "AAAAAAAAHHH!!!! I DELIVER THE FAAAAIHAIHAIHAIHAIHAIL!!!". :lol:

He was a good singer once, but he never fitted into Black Sabbath, per my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
You guys are crazy, i cannot enjoy a single minute of the SUPERB instrumental awesomeness, that is on Born Again, because of Gillan - he ruined the whole record, right from the start, with this high screams - it makes me turn off the record immediately. As if he would scream "AAAAAAAAHHH!!!! I DELIVER THE FAAAAIHAIHAIHAIHAIHAIL!!!". :lol:
:lol:

I think part of the problem was that Gillan didn't really know how to fit into Sabbath, so he just screamed his balls off. The whole Born Again thing was put together by Don Arden as a "supergroup" in an attempt to get back at Ozzy and Sharon for dumping him.

Tony and Geezer took Gillan to the pub and got him drunk, and in such a state convinced him to join Sabbath. Gillan has also said in an interview that you didn't refuse Don Arden if you knew what was good for you. He's still good friends with Tony and Geezer and actually had Tony play on a rerecording of "Trashed" that he did a few years ago.

Since Deep Purple still tours the world quite profitably, I doubt we'll see a Born Again reunion, even if it would be fun. I never got to see the original tour, since my town (Portland, Or.) was scheduled for the second leg of the U.S. tour, which was cancelled when Gillan rejoined Purple.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
PS, this just in: today's Deep Purple sucks deep dick.
:agreed:

:(

I saw them with Thin Lizzy (also a gutted remnant, with only Scott Gorham as the original and constraining John Sykes to limited frontman duties) and Satch at SPAC.

Morse was good, Glover was excellent, keys were alright (it wasn't Lord) but Gillian was awful :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts