Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how everybody rolls around here as far as contacts/calendar/mail...do you guys use gmail or icloud for email? If gmail are you using the stock Mail app (if so do you have it set to poll new email at a certain interval or just a manual refresh) or another app like the official Gmail app? Do you have your calendar/contacts on Gmail or iCloud? Anybody want to explain the pros/cons of each approach so I'm in the know?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I just use Thunderbird mail client on my mac (imap email) and the default mac address book. For calendar i do use google.

Thunderbird works really well but on imacs you may run into issues if you dont keep your mail folders compacted and create archives of folders on an ongoing basis. On older imacs if any of your mail folders are over (iirc) 4 gigs in size thunderbird will take a huge dump and refuse to download any new mail. (get mailbox full error)

I do have my work email on my phone and add contacts to my phone on an as needed basis. (which gets backed up to my personal gmail contact list)

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I don't even know if I'm going to be able to explain this right, but:

I use Outlook on a bunch of devices, and I use Google Calendar Sync for the calendar syncing between everything. I guess now this piece of software is either obsolete, or there is a newer version called Google Sync or something to that effect.

I just sync contacts with iTunes/Outlook/iDevices and back up to a main computer.

For different mail accounts, I don't use the gmail app. I enter them in manually in the mail client on my phone for various pop3/imap accounts, and everything seems to play together nicely.

Except Outlook 2013 with imap on one computer. It is a pain in the ass. Ironically, this is what Microsoft was touting as the major upgrade to this version.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I use both, actually. I have an iCloud account I use for side work, job applications, etc, and then a primary Gmail account. I use Mail on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. The Gmail app on iOS isn't that great, IMO.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I have my domain email hosted with Gmail, and I just use the standard Mail apps on iOS and my Macs via IMAP. I use Google calendars, but use iCloud for my contact syncing.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
I have my domain email hosted with Gmail, and I just use the standard Mail apps on iOS and my Macs via IMAP. I use Google calendars, but use iCloud for my contact syncing.
Another check in this column.
  • I have my iOS devices (personal and work) and my wife has an Android (Note II)
  • We use gMail at work, my wife's school uses gMail and we've abandoned our ISP's mail servers for gMail.
So, I use iCloud to sync all the contacts & calendars that are hosted in gMail and the default Mail app to access all the gMail accounts.

My only disappointment is that the desktop and mobile Messages don't sync across all devices and even though I have the same gTalk/Hangouts account on the desktop and mobiles, IMs sent to gTalk can't find me when I'm not on the desktop. I'll still get all the chats in my gMail, but the iOS Messages doesn't "catch-up".

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts