Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time is approaching for me to get a new phone. My current phone is a clamshell that predates the age of ubiquitous touch screens. I figured I'd get something shiny and connective this time around, but as I haven't kept up with this stuff in a few years, I'm going into this a little blind. What are your opinions on iPhones as compared to Android phones or anything else that can compete? All I've gathered so far is that Android phones have better app selection, Flash, and multitasking capability, where iPhones play video better (I'm assuming this isn't referring to Flash-based web video) and have Steve Jobs's cockprint on the back (not that I'll mind if it's the better product).

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

IPhone. Love my iPhone 4.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Android has better app selection? iPhone plays video better? :lol: wrong on both counts...
Well, see, this is just info I've gathered on a quick run with Google. That's why I'm asking people who I know (well, at least somewhat) and who have experience. ;)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I prefer the video quality on the iphone, but its alot easier to play more videos on android. Substantially so. Also, i find the apps i want easier to find for iphone, just because its been around longer probably. That said, "android" is a whole category of phones :lol:. FWIW, I (3Gs) and my girlfriend (4) have a LOT fewer issues with phone lockups than our friends do (my buddy jamie has an aeris i think? and my old coworker sean and Jess' friend have evos), but i dont know how much of that is the platform, the apps, and how tech savvy the users are.

If you do wanna go iPhone, im hearing a LOT of speculation that the new one is due out late summerish, the type of which is usually right within a month or so, so seeing how that pans out it may be worth waiting a bit.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Loading Android on to the HD2 doesn't make it an Android device. Especially when comparing the screen (hardware) to another device. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Android has better app selection? iPhone plays video better? :lol: wrong on both counts...
:rolleyes:

Dude there are like a fucking million apps for both platforms. More apps than you can shake a stick at. Picking an android because "it has better apps" is ridiculous. :lol:

My iPhone 4 plays video just dandy, and I've never once thought "Oh man, if only I had an Android, I could get x_app". Because if x_app is any good, it's a no-brainer for the developer to cross-platform it because (shock!) app developers don't give a fuck about what platform you use, they want to make money.

As I understand it (and via a quick google) the sweet spot resolution for Android video is 720x480. The iPhone 4's sweet spot is 960x640. Wouldn't you consider that "better"?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Here's another post about video on Android:

Head to Head: iPhone vs. Android - Yahoo! News

Video on Android Blows

There has to be a better way to get great-looking video on my phone. I have several movies and television shows that I'm just itching to get onto my Android handset. With iTunes I'm forced to jump through several hoops, but the end results are great (thanks to VLC Media Player for iOS). No matter how hard I try with my Android phone, no matter the video encoders I use or the video players I download from the Android Market, I'm left dissatisfied.

Video transferred to my phone via my PC looks choppy, has out-of-sync audio, and sometimes just won't play. Robert will try to play the it-works-on-my-phone-what-is-the-problem-with-Tom card, but give me a break. What's wrong with my Droid X? Good question. I would like to know the answer--and so would the hundreds of people who are flocking to support forums such as DroidXForum and Motorola's site, complaining of similar problems.

I could use the undeletable Blockbuster app on my Droid X, but I'm a cheapskate. Blockbuster charges $4 for a 24-hour movie rental, and buying a movie costs $18 per title. I haven't used this service--but judging from a number of unfavorable reviews in the Android Market and online, I won't be.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The screen on my android makes nerinas iphone4 look like a toy..
Size > quality. Retina smokes AMOLED in my opinion. Most droids that I see my buddies using look like cheap toys. Samsung makes awesome TVs, but I wouldn't want a Samsung phone. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Never said it wouldn't. But it's not Android hardware, therefore has no merit in the "Android vs iPhone" epeen argument.
Well, half of the Android battle cry is that it runs on all sorts of shit, isn't it? :lol:

At the end of the day, both the iPhone 4 and most Droid phones are fucking awesome devices. Really, pick which one you like best in terms of pocket feel, and hunt around for things that actually matter, like battery life. There are a bajillion apps for either, and both play the hell out of videos.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Might as well state that a cheap ass chinese phone with hdmi puts both iphone and android devices to shame, because you have a sweet ass 50 inch plasma.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Iphone has Facetime + 2 lens.... It's also an Ipod... I mean, you can't go wrong. Love mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts