Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to pick one up tomorrow.

I need the actual device, and the app from the app store to run it, correct? (And a 1/8" cable into my MBP's sound card, I assume?)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Going to pick one up tomorrow.

I need the actual device, and the app from the app store to run it, correct? (And a 1/8" cable into my MBP's sound card, I assume?)
That's correct, but you want the Ampkit Link from Peavey instead. The iRig has feedback issue galore at higher gain settings. Better yet would be the Apogee Jam, but it's on backorder at most places. That's what I'll be getting as soon as it's available.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I need something that I can buy today, because nothing I pick up will make it to me in time to bring with me. The iRig is $40 or so, and Best Buy has 'em in stock.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Well, I need something that I can buy today, because nothing I pick up will make it to me in time to bring with me. The iRig is $40 or so, and Best Buy has 'em in stock.
No Ampkit link? Bummer. The reason I recommend the Ampkit is that it's an active device that reduces noise, so you can use it with more than just iRig the software. The iRig device really only works with iRig. If you try using it with GB on the laptop, you'll get feedback and horrendous noise with anything that's not low gain. And by low gain, I mean an overdriven Vox model is too much for it. The way the iRig software gets around it is with in-software "magic" to reduce the problems of a passive device.

Guitar Center carries the Peavey Ampkit Links in stock for $29.99.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I see. So the ampkit works with iRig? There is a GC near me too. If they have that in stock, basically I get that, plus the iRig app, and I'm good to go?

Edit: Disregard, just googled. So it requires it's own stuff. Interesting...

I'm not looking for anything to make finished recordings with by any means. I just want something that I send to Reaper on my laptop in my hotel, with whatever no-name rental guitar I end up getting out there.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Ah, I see. So the ampkit works with iRig? There is a GC near me too. If they have that in stock, basically I get that, plus the iRig app, and I'm good to go?

Edit: Disregard, just googled. So it requires it's own stuff. Interesting...

I'm not looking for anything to make finished recordings with by any means. I just want something that I send to Reaper on my laptop in my hotel, with whatever no-name rental guitar I end up getting out there.
No, it doesn't require its own stuff. The Ampkit thing will work with iRig, Ampkit, GarageBand, etc.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I picked it up. You're right - anything high gain is a wash of feedback (holy fuck :lol:). That aside, everything also sounds slightly muffled, as though my tone knob is rolled back halfway. That, and the fact that it's constantly spamming me to buy additional shit (I bought the $20 app) is a little annoying.

That said, for $50 all told, it'll do what I want, which is give me a way to record/arrange scratch guitars on the road, so I'm satisfied.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So I picked it up. You're right - anything high gain is a wash of feedback (holy fuck :lol:). That aside, everything also sounds slightly muffled, as though my tone knob is rolled back halfway. That, and the fact that it's constantly spamming me to buy additional shit (I bought the $20 app) is a little annoying.

That said, for $50 all told, it'll do what I want, which is give me a way to record/arrange scratch guitars on the road, so I'm satisfied.
Until the Apogee Jam comes out, and you get that. :D

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Ampkit is a much better app, especially for high gain (even with the irig interface). The free version has a peavey valveking which sounds really good, try it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts