Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to fathom how I know people who like bands like Soilwork but can't appreciate Carcass or At The Gates, and people who like Black Metal, but not Mercyful Fate.

I would think that when you like a band, you should at least make yourself familiar with the bands that inspired their sound, as opposed to only bands that sound like the one you like. I'm right about this, right? Nobody's asking anyone to like Mercyful Fate (They should be required to, though), but only to appreciate them. I can't see how someone could Like Celtic Frost, Emperor, and Mayhem, and NOT like Mercyful Fate. It just doesn't flow logically.

I admit readily that I'm not a huge fan of Black Sabbath or Judas Priest outside of a few songs, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I didn't appreciate what they did or the bands they inspired.

as an Aside, I think that if people looked for new music vertically (Influences and successors) rather than horizontally (Bands that sound the same), people would generally have better taste.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Agreed.

For example, this isn't music, but it's the same thing. Most know I'm an artist, and I love comic books. I just recently got into the comic artist Tim Sale, and his whole approach has... almost want to say "revolutionized" my approach to comic art, but that's not really it. More like, discovering him just represents the capstone of my long evolution, and I have a very clear idea of where I want to go stylistically now. Hence, he's a definite 'inspiration.'

Well, I got a book published about him and his work (excellent, called Tim Sale: Black and White), and he talks about his inspirations. Some of them we shared, but some, like comics legend Jim Steranko, I had never been exposed to. So, off I go to learn more about Steranko and his work, most notably on Nick Fury: Agent of Shield, from the 60's. This guy revolutionized comic book art. I may never be as hugely inspired by him as I am by Tim sale, but he's managed to inspire me just like he did Tim nonetheless.

So yes, I think if someone is a true 'inspiration,' you owe it to yourself to check out their inspirations.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Yeah, but I'd go with their actual "influences" rather than their "inspiration" I guess. (Geoff Tate, for instance is inspired by The Supremes, George Michael, Prince, Hall & Oates, Massive Attack etc.. :ugh:)

As far as black metal goes, I've never really been able to compare any of that stuff with Mercyful Fate... image-wise/ideologically maybe, but not musically...

I'm a huge King Diamond/Mercyful Fate/ Celtic Frost fan but I can't stand 99% of black metal.. I don't see much musical similarity at all.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I agree. I appreciate the Beatles, but I don't like their music. I appreciate King Diamond, but I can't stand his voice (the music itself is really good though). I appreciate Queensryche, even though I don't like too much of their music.

There are a lot of artists out there who I think were very creative, innovative, and original, or that I thought were extremely skilled at their instruments and created solid music, but that I personally do not care for.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I can appreciate all the older bands for what they've done for music, even thought I may not necessarily like what they do. Like was stated, The Beatles, cannot stand them, but respect them mightily for what they've done for the music business. Same Zep and the Stones.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I have a hard time understanding how people don't like Led Zeppelin.
:yesway:

I have a hard time understanding how people don't like a lot of the bands mentioned. You surely don't have to be a massive fan of the Stones, The Beatles, The Supremes or Massive Attack to at least like one of their songs?

We are talking about some of the most innoffensive and well written pop/rock through the ages. There has to be at least one song that you quite like?

As for Prince that's a whole different story that I imagine me and Boober might start getting unreasonable with other people about so it's best we don't mention it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I like Mercyful Fate, but can't stand black metal :lol:

But, yeah, they don't have to like them, but if you're a musician and know how difficult the creative process is, then you should definitely at least appreciate the muses of your muses.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i think it comes down to giving the influences a chance. You should give an entire cd of what influenced your favorite bands a go. If you don't dig on it, no big deal but you might get some insight into your favorite bands and how they think/write.

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
i think thats exactly right
its more a chance to get a sense of something that you may like even more, but there should never be a situation where you feel FORCED to like something that you dont, thats just absurd!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm a huge King Diamond/Mercyful Fate/ Celtic Frost fan but I can't stand 99% of black metal.. I don't see much musical similarity at all.
It would totally be similar if the King would record his next album through a transistor radio. And forget how to play guitar. And sing. And write.

·
Guitarist/The Purge
846 Posts
It's the same as respecting the elderly.

They were here first, they did all the shit you haven't done yet and they deserve your respect for it, whether you like them or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts