Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,642 Posts
That's not left hand vibrato; look closely, and you can see him pressing against the bridge with the meat of his picking hand. Totally different animal from what you're talking about.

Jeff Beck is a completely unconventional player, and uses a whole bunch of screwball techniques that make him sound unlike anyone else. I think he's a genius, but I can understand how his playing wouldn't do it for someone. For a more conventional approach to vibrato, watch Yngwie:

That is probably the smooth, wide sound you're looking for.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Jeff Beck is a guitar genius, but what really kicked my ass and made me want to be his boy toy is when I saw him live. Holy mother of god fucking shit does he rule hard live.

I sat pretty much right in front of his amp about half way back in a couple thousand seat venue and there is no other place on the planet that I would have rather been. His amp was just loud enough that I could really hear it clear over the rest of the band and FOH (because it was pointed right at me) but not over powering. OMG the tones (he probably had ever small tag Marshall on the planet in his back line), the little inflections, the pick noise, right hand trem vibrato, etc. Probably one of the best "guitar" concerts I have been too.

And the dude is so mellow, laid back, but yet fierce it was an absolute pleasure to watch him play. Tal was not at that show unfortunately, but he had some other hot chick bass player that could hold her own.

I will never miss a Jeff Beck show ever again.

·
Premium Member
32,642 Posts
I love that Ronnie Scott DVD, but I think this is a better version of that song.

Ah, the Jeff destroys Clapton at his own show set. :lol:

What I love about Beck's playing the most is that I cannot tell a save from actual intent. I'll hear what sounds like a bum note, wince, and then he comes out of it perfectly. You just never really know, since he's so obtuse AND constantly pushing the edge of his capabilities.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
What really floors me is his use of the trem bar and how he bends into and out of notes. You cant really see what his right hand is doing against the "floating" stock trem so you really have to listen to it closely a few times to know if he is pushing down on it to raise the pitch and releases it to ghost bend into a note, or what the hell he is doing.

·
Where?!
2,935 Posts
If you ever get a chance to see Beck live, do so. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

At the show I went to, he was playing with a full orchestra and can completely nail that Yngwie-style vibrato when it's required. If you think of it more in terms of the ornamentation an Indian classical singer would add, his vibrato makes complete sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.