Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been seeing so many people trying hard to be Pete Thorn on guitar forums and subreddits. These huge 20 pedal rigs with loops, cables everywhere, and then their amp pedal in front or off to the side. Most of these look like a train wreck and all I can think of is:

1) how long is this going to take to set up and tear down at a gig?
2) how do you ensure the knobs on your 20 pedals don't move?
3) I've experienced this with my smaller compact pedal rig, if a cable goes out, it's kinda hard to figure out which one when your board is ultra-cable managed with everything velcroed or tied down.
4) most guys aren't running 4CM, so all of their effects are before the amp. Kinda defeats the purpose of a high gain amp IMO. If they are in the amp's loop, then there are really long cables running back to the amp killing tone and requiring even more pedals in the form of buffers.

I get it that all the analog stuff is kinda a pendulum swing reaction away from modelers, but this is getting silly now. What is the next big thing? Racks again, maybe half racks? iPads through tube power amps? What solutions do you think will become popular over the next 10 years, or am I off base and these ridiculously huge pedalboards are here to stay?

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I've used both "real amps" (I've owned several tube amps, solid state amps, and solid state/digital hybrid amps) and modelers. Right now I have both: a Mesa Boogie Roadster and a Line 6 POD500. But I have ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hated pedalboards with a passion. Now, you can't claim "Oh, you're a digital guy who just never owned effects pedals" because I had a small tube amp, a large solid state amp, and about 20 effects pedals when I was in college.

I'm thinking that if I do get in a band in the future, I might use an overdrive pedal for distortion and maybe use my POD500 just for effects since I do really like layered sounds with reverb, chorus, delay, noise gate, and maybe even compression, but I don't want to have to do tap-dancing, nor do I want to have 20 pedals on the ground -- and what if I want heavy delay on this one part of one song and really light delay on this part of another song? Does that mean I need to have two delay pedals? Or that I have to bend over and reconfigure the pedal and keep track how each pedal is set up for each song?

In the past, my solution to this was... If I'm playing in a band without any digital modeling or multi-effects units, I just keep the pedals to the bare essentials (overdrive, delay, wah-wah, and noise gate, for example). But even that kinda seems like a lot.

So, yeah, hopefully the pedalboard era is winding down. :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I played a gig once where the other guy blew the fuse from that sort of thing, which sorta skewed my opinion for the rest of time. I hate that guy.

Anyways, I always preferred to keep it simple, just me, my guitar and my amp.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm certainly enjoying mine. I run a few OD's, a volume and wah, some modulation, and adding in a few utility pedals (tuner, noise gate) runs me up to ~12 on my board at any given time. I mostly use amp gain :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I played a gig once where the other guy blew the fuse from that sort of thing, which sorta skewed my opinion for the rest of time. I hate that guy.

Anyways, I always preferred to keep it simple, just me, my guitar and my amp.
No gate or delay? Those are two I can't live without.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't use many effects, but there's nothing wrong with trying to be Pete Thorn.

Unless you're trying to copy his ridiculous new haircut.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It was a POD HD he was using, which I'm inclined to relate to the bad time I had with a POD X3 years ago, so I have a feeling that line 6 just made a few average products over the years? I'm no electrician.........

Nah no pedals, give me the noize I only ever played small club gigs

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I don't think so. The boutique pedal market seems to be thriving.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Funny you're saying this, I've always hated pedals and boards, then I became a rack guy. Overtime I got sick of being limited to using rack amps to keep things all-rack, and I wanted to start using only a wah and delay and maybe chorus and I got sick of presets on multieffect units so I decided to try using a head and ordered my first pedalboard: micro board with 5 pedals on it, 4cm in/outs with a noisegate, a wah, a boost, and a chorus and delay for the loop.

I've solved the time issue by making it an easy to connect and well-protected, limited board. I don't want to have more effects because to me that is the problem, using too many effects on the same set-up, too much for me. I also don't see a cable going out since none of the cables even move; I may be lucky but I have never EVER had a patch cord, speaker cable, or even an instrument cable (or that might be pure luck) fail on me, never, even on tour. I still have some of the first cables I bought with my first guitar.

I've been afraid of tonesuck for years too but with so little pedals, it's definitely not a problem. I use two 20' cables in the loop but my pedals have good buffers so once again I did tests and haven't found any tonesuck.

I'm really curious about the TC multi-fx units but right now I'm good with the mini-board, I thought I'd be a rack-only guy for life but it looks like I became weird.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Nah, it's growing if anything.

For the kind of stuff you play (slick shreddy modern metal) pedal boards aren't popular. But they are hugely popular everywhere else. Doom metal/sludge metal/anything hipster-y.

Practicality aside, it's never going to go away. There is this kitschy collectors aspect to it that people dig. They are, by far, the easiest thing to move. Pedal trading is huge, I know dudes who move stuff every week. Makes sense though, you can't trade Amps or Guitars like that. Pedals are rugged conditionally, so it's like, trading cards or something.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Building boards has become a fairly significant part of my shop's business. I think it's growing.
I also think any hatred over it is kinda dumb. It's not like they're shitty offset guitars. Now those are dumb. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Post-anything means pedalboards are alive and well.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
:dgaf:

Pedalboards never really go away. In the metal world, they were never big to begin with, with most guys barely using above 3 to 5. My max was 7 when I was touring. Other genres, there's plenty of boards in all sizes. And despite having an ever growing collection, I don't use that much live, and I insist on using amp gain.

Also a full properly set up (AND PRE GIG TESTED) board shouldn't take long to set up onstage. Unpack from case to floor, plug in and turn on, that's it. My bass rig is bigger than my guitarist's board and I take less time than him to fully set up and line check... that even includes keyboard pedal triggers. It's when guys who set up individual pedals and patch cables onstage that grinds me, solely because I used to be one of them.

To reiterate the importance of having a proper setup and pre gig testing, since going the loop switching, junction boxes and solderless cable path, I've had no issues with signal paths whatsoever. The junction boxes make setting up simple and it streamlines a lot of the signal (certainly makes 4 cable method easier), while the loop switching eliminates unnecessary tap dancing. A good strong power supply to solve any voltage problems, and you're golden. The trade off is that it's a more costly prospect and building it takes a damn long time, but for me, I get my cake and eat it too - a phrase I'll never understand as no point in having a cake if you can't eat it, unless you're a stripper that hides in one, but I digress.

Lastly, a well built neat looking board looks awesome. But messy built boards with cables sticking everywhere... then yeah it looks like a train wreck.

Whatever works, I say.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Got to any guitar forum and search for "pedal board" and there is always a thread about showing your pedal board and its about 10k pages long.

Myself I am still a pedal guy for my tube amps that I play through once in a while, but its only a handful of pedals. A couple different ODs, a delay, wah, volume, tuner etc.

For my gigging band and bigger shows I use my Helix. So much easier to plop it down, plug the 2 XLRs into my split snake and feed the FOH a couple different mic'd cabs and I am good to go. I have yet to have a FOH guy not tell it me sounds great and easy to mix.

But I also love taking my pedal board over to a buddys house to jam and plug it into his JCM800 or Dr Z and just fucking wail too.

Pedal boards aren't going anywhere. But then again neither is modeling. I think its going to be a fun few years of cool gear coming out we get to play with.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
If you are playing live and using tube amplifiers how can you not use pedals?:scratch: No way I could dream of not having my pedals when playing a gig. I try and keep it simple but a good OD and Delay are essential at the least.

I guess like Naren say you could have an all in one unit, I myself have used the L6 M13 for the last few years and I love it. Sounds good enough but the simplicity of it all is fucking glorious. But I still use my own OD infront of the amp most times.

4CM is a fantastic fucking thing.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

Also had a M13 for a while and it's an outstanding unit. But what's great with individual pedals, is that you can add or change all sorts of "flavors" to your sound. With a multi-FX, you're kinda stock with one flavor most of the time. Like, with the M13, you have multiple OD's in it... But they're all Line 6 OD's.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
^

Also had a M13 for a while and it's an outstanding unit. But what's great with individual pedals, is that you can add or change all sorts of "flavors" to your sound. With a multi-FX, you're kinda stock with one flavor most of the time. Like, with the M13, you have multiple OD's in it... But they're all Line 6 OD's.
I agree, pedals are the better choice but after the simplicity of using the M13.....I'm willing to sacrifice a little tone that the average human will never notice. :lol:

Also why I will still use my own OD infront most times.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If I were actually gigging, I'm not sure sure I'd want to use a pedalboard though. For jamming with buddies, it's fun. If I were gigging, I'd likely go for a tube amp and the Fractal FX8. A dude was in this past weekend, and uses it with a lunchbox head, and raved about how amazingly simple his life is now, with the FX8, and yet he still enjoys his real amp.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I know its not dying because there is a new pedal company every month.

I think that taking time to make your own cables and test everything i the only way to go. I have used the same board for 6 months with no issues at all. I just show up, unpack my board, run my snake to my amp and then I am good to go. I can be fully setup in less than 5 minutes.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I know its not dying because there is a new pedal company every month.

I think that taking time to make your own cables and test everything i the only way to go. I have used the same board for 6 months with no issues at all. I just show up, unpack my board, run my snake to my amp and then I am good to go. I can be fully setup in less than 5 minutes.
Yeah, even with a regular pedalboard, it's not rocket surgery. The tricky part is if you start getting into switchers and all that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts