Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the way the D Activators in my RG1527 sound now, but I'm always curious if there is "better" out there. I would want to stick with Dimarzio, and was just curious what pickups people have good success with playing metal in a basswood guitar. I know the Evo 7 gets a lot of votes, but I'm kinda curious about the Crunch Lab too, or even anything else. Any opinion or suggestion is appreciated!

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I haven't tried many pickups in my basswood guitars, but of the DiMarzios I have tried, I really liked the Blaze Custom.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I really liked the Blaze Custom, but it's FAR from scooped. I liked it for metal, but most probably wouldn't.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
:cool:

Yeah, I think the huge midrange is why I like it so much. The Blaze is nice, too, but it and pickups like it sound kind of hollow to me. That and the fact that mine is in a 7421 make me associate it heavily with that nu-metal sound. :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Ask Chris :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I loooooove the DA in Basswood for metal. :agreed: I'll probably end up putting them in my 2027.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
The DActivators are very EMG in feel and sound. Bright and tight, almost to the point of being thin, fairly compressed and very hot, such that they LOVE it when you lay on tons of gain. If that's the sound you're after, then they're one of the better passive options on the market, at least before you start spending crazy money.

If you like something more balanced, the Evo7 or the Blaze also rule but in different ways. The Evo7 isn't quite as bright and compressed, whereas the Blaze is a bit deeper and softer, kind of sludgier in a good way. Wouldn't be my first choice for technical metal, perhaps, but I personally like it.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I'll say it once again, I really like the crunchlab/liquifire combo in my 1527. I feel that the crunchlab is a little less compressed than some other metal bridge pickups, so it really picks up the tone of each individual string.

However, if you don't play many chords with more than the root, third, and fifth, the D-Activator may be the way to go.

I was thinking about moving the crunchlab/liquifire to my 2027 for a versatile guitar and then putting D-Activators in my 1527.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
I went through a Blaze and D-Sonic in my 7620 before I finally settled with the Crunchlab. I love it. Couldn't recommend it enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts