Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least something like it? I'm still mucking about with the recording thing whenever I have the spare time or initiative. I have determined that I am just going to replace my old PreSonus Inspire GT because I have too many problems with it. It's just unreliable. One minute it will work, the next minute it won't. I think the problem is probably in software....but whatever.

I am still quite clueless when it comes to interfaces. I will be using either Garage Band or Logic Express to record and I need an interface that is well supported by the Mac OS and the DAWs. The Apogee Duet seems to be a popular option, but it is a touch out of the budget currently.

I guess what I really want to know...is the Duet as good as it seems for high quality and simplicity and is it worth saving up for? If not, what's the best alternative.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I don't have the Duet, but I do have several other Apogee products, and they are well worth the money.

Buy nice, or buy twice.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the Duet, but I do have several other Apogee products, and they are well worth the money.

Buy nice, or buy twice.
That is pretty much what I needed to hear. :yesway:

Do you record on a Mac or a Windows PC?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
That is pretty much what I needed to hear. :yesway:

Do you record on a Mac or a Windows PC?
ProTools HD|3 on Windows.

I have an apogee Big Ben, Rosetta 800 and AD-16X.

If you only need 1 channel at a time, the ONE is probably a good bet.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ProTools HD|3 on Windows.

I have an apogee Big Ben, Rosetta 800 and AD-16X.

If you only need 1 channel at a time, the ONE is probably a good bet.
Yeah, I think I'd only need one channel at a time assuming that I can record a guitar track in stereo on one channel. Would the USB connection present any issues or drawbacks versus a firewire connection?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, recording forum guys. Thanks a metric fuck-ton for answering all of my silly questions. It is very helpful because I am so clueless when it comes to recording.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Duet and I'm incredibly happy with it. Both hardware and software is extremely solid, and it made a noticeable difference from my Line 6 Toneport. Save up for one if you can.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
M-Audio is an Agile, Apogee is a KXK. Both will get the job done, but the apogee will do it better and with less hassle.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Save up for one if you can.
This.

A/D converters are the last thing that should be skimped on. Especially if you can get Apogee quality converters at that price point. It makes it a no-brainer. The Duet setup was made specifically for Garage Band/Logic Express setups anyway. So this is right up your alley.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
M-Audio is an Agile, Apogee is a KXK. Both will get the job done, but the apogee will do it better and with less hassle.
This, pretty much. I will say that so far I'm quite happy with my M-Audio ProFire 2626 and the converters seem to be better than whatever's in my Firepod, but the Duet consistently gets mentioned as having some of the best converters you'll find in this price point. If I didn't need more than two channels, I'd own one of these.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
I was considering the duet, but ended up getting the tc electronic impact twin. I couldn't be happier with my choice :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
This, pretty much. I will say that so far I'm quite happy with my M-Audio ProFire 2626 and the converters seem to be better than whatever's in my Firepod, but the Duet consistently gets mentioned as having some of the best converters you'll find in this price point. If I didn't need more than two channels, I'd own one of these.
The other thing too here I guess is that past a certain point, for your average home studio guy, none of this really matters. It's not that it doesn't make a difference - it really does - as much as it's that there are bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't call myself much more than semi-competitent when it comes to tracking and mixing, and even then I'd say that mic selection and positioning, good-but-not-spectacular prosumer grade preamps, gain staging, my less-than-ideal room, and shitty monitors are all going to hold me back more than the difference between good and great conversion.

The Duet is nice because it gives you two channels and GREAT conversion at a pretty reasonable price, but if I was going to compare something like the Apogee Rosetta (8 channels) to my Profire 2626, I'd basically be pissing my money away, at least in the short-to-mid-term. Spectacular conversion, but I suspect I'd be better saving my money, buying a couple really nice pres and some great monitors, and then investing some time and money in room treatment.

I mean, if my album's mix sucks, I'm pretty sure it won't be the fault of my AD/DA conversion. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a ONE because often times I only do one track at a time, and having something small that's also got a good mic built-in would be very handy to have.

Apogee Electronics > Videos Blog Archive Guitar Legend Tommy Emmanuel Records with ONE

Download the AIFF file and listen to it with some decent headphones; it sounds pretty damn good!

In other news, Tommy Emmanuel makes me want to use my acoustic guitar as firewood.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drew, I want to record direct from my ADA MP-1/Microcab setup and I'd only be recording one thing at a time.

I think I'll get the ONE.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Drew, I want to record direct from my ADA MP-1/Microcab setup and I'd only be recording one thing at a time.

I think I'll get the ONE.
Sounds like a good plan, then. :yesway:

That said, humor me and promise me you'll eventually pick up a SM57. :wub:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd consider it, but I live in an apartment and I don't want to be noisy. I would LOVE to get a powered Atomic cab to use.

I'm having trouble deciding between the ONE and the Duet....I'm sure I'll end up going for the Duet when funds allow. (Lower CC balance a tad)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts