Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Nothing as ubiquitous as the 5150, but the SVT is definitely a classic.

I found a great bass tone (to my ears) in my AxeFx biamping with an SVT and JCM800.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
The SVT CL is a decent contender I'd say, fairly ubiquitous.

Edit: for cabs, outside of the classic matching 810, I'm a big fan of the peavey 410 cabs, they're cheap as chips and sound pretty decent especially given the cost (mine was like £20 :lol: )

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool - thanks!

I'll probably start with a 4x10 cab. add a second later (if necessary). who ever comes to my house to jam can bring their own amp. but i'd like to eventually get an amp too. basically, i plan to be able to jam in my garage anytime with anybody. everything from loud as fuck raging thrash metal to dorking around with my kids with more responsible volume levels. Yet it needs to be gig worthy in case i ever play bass in a band

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Aguilar Tone Hammer has been flawless for me for years. Super punchy with good drive sounds available if you want them. Not super bright, but you can add pedals if you want.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
cool - thanks!

I'll probably start with a 4x10 cab. add a second later (if necessary). who ever comes to my house to jam can bring their own amp. but i'd like to eventually get an amp too. basically, i plan to be able to jam in my garage anytime with anybody. everything from loud as fuck raging thrash metal to dorking around with my kids with more responsible volume levels. Yet it needs to be gig worthy in case i ever play bass in a band
Try a 15 (or 2x15) as well. They help getting that midrangey grind/growl that makes a bass cut through the mix.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, while I do love the tone hammer and prefer it over these, the true "5150” of bass amps is probably the SVT 4pro or 3pro. They're everywhere and are loud and sound pretty good, but they're pricey new, not the most portable, and a bit outdated at this point.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Edit: for cabs, outside of the classic matching 810, I'm a big fan of the peavey 410 cabs, they're cheap as chips and sound pretty decent especially given the cost (mine was like £20 :lol: )
QFT. Those things sound fucking great. Wondering if my bassist still has the one I sold him actually or if he punted on it. Wouldn't argue at getting that back :lol:

Also, as Lozek said, an SVT-CL is the first thing I think of when it comes to bass rigs for all tube, short of that, an SVT-3Pro with the tube pre/solid power, which also won't require spinal realignment if you want to move it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.