Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so a buddy of mine has this SG that's got a lot of sentimental value.

And of course after toting it around in a gigbag, this happened.

So he takes it to a tech, who tells him that the gtr is basically firewood at this point. I would think that all that needs to be done is glue back the headstock and clamp it down? It doesnt look like it was broken off near the trussrod.

This has to be salvageable. Right?

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
This is fixable, but you are going to have to get clever because the angle the break is at. I think you are going to have to get some metal involved, but there is no reason to just scrap it. Other than a lack of creativity.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Text book Gibson headstock break. That one's cleaner than some that I've seen, completely fixable, and would be really easy, and no, shouldn't need any metal.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah, that's fixable. That happens ALL THE TIME to Gibsons.

This is why their one-piece neck and angled headstock is a poor design. The grain runs out right through the headstock, and the slightest knock can cause it to split like that.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
metal? wtf? :lol:

The downfall of the Les Paul, right there :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys :yesway:.

I have absolutely no idea why the hell the tech told him that this wasn't fixable. Other than maybe to get him to buy another gtr in the store? :scratch:

The funny thing about this? Would you believe this gtr has been in this condition for nearly 20 years??? The owner bought it in the late 80's (it's a '62 reissue) and just kept it in it's case like this since it's been broken. It was just by chance that tonight he was showing me his collection and we came across it. It seems like a really cool SG. So it would be a real shame if it never got played again just because of some bad advice.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
dude, if he doesnt believe, ill buy it for $50 :lol:

(also, time to find a new tech, srsly :noway:)

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
Man.. I was really scared when I saw the thread title :lol:

Good to see it's fixable :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
A properly glued headstock repair will be stronger than before. No need for metal reinforcement. SGs are notorious for headstock breaks. Gibson fixed this in the '70s by adding a volute to widen and strengthen the headstock joint, but the vintage snobs started sniveling and whining about it, so Gibson went back to the old style headstock joint in 1982.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got a les paul standard 10 or so years ago and 3 months later the strap button slid right out of the body. All 4000 pounds of LP came down on the headstock and snapped it uglier than that. I got mine fixed--no metal, just glue. Since then its been hit a few times just as hard and its still holding stronger than before. A properly glued neck is--or has been in my experience--stronger than the shamefully weak gibson necks.

Kind of annoying that the crack is just peeking into the truss rod channel.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Text book Gibson headstock break.
Yeah, that's fixable. That happens ALL THE TIME to Gibsons.
:agreed: This is a classic Gibby problem and one that is stupidly easy to fix in most cases. The only slight concern I see in this one will be making sure to keep any glue out of the truss rod cavity...but that's pretty minor.

I have absolutely no idea why the hell the tech told him that this wasn't fixable. Other than maybe to get him to buy another gtr in the store? :scratch:
This. That tech is either incompetent or a schiester. There are tons of vintage Gibby's out there with this repair and they're still making music. :nono:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts