Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't know shit about this kind of thing, so I'm hoping those who do can help out.

I bought a lefty 7 string neck a couple of years ago made by LGM, and haven't done anything with it since. Eventually I may opt to make a guitar out of it, if it'll be worth it.

Here's the description of the problem in the FS thread from jemsite.

fettouhi said:
Well, two weeks ago I got a new neck for my UV77MC lefty replica from SIMS Custom Shop in the UK, so I have a leftover 7 string neck now. The neck is in ok condition meaning that there are dings on the headstock and fretboard. These came from shipping when I got the guitar originally last year in August. Customs messed up the neck pretty bad. The neck needs a refret and needs to be re-radiused. The specs for the neck are the same as for the old UV necks except it has an AANJ and the holes are drilled for a front routed nut plus it a LGM headstock . The neck is unfinished sanded down to 600 grit.
At a glance, I can't really see anything wrong with the neck, but I don't have a lefty AANJ body to attach it to. It may be FUBAR'd, or it may just need some slight tweaks. I can always snap pics if needed.

Hopefully, I can get some use out of it, but even if I can't it's not a big deal, as I paid $25 for it. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I wonder what he means when he says it needs to be re-radiused. I'm puzzled as to how a neck gets "dings" in it from shipping, unless there were loose metal parts inside the box with it. :scratch:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought the same when I first bought it back in like, '08. But for the price, I figured I'd figure it out at a later date. :lol:

Seeing as this arrived to him as a fully assembled guitar, I can't see Jeremy packaging loose allen keys with it or anything.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Some people also think a slight ding in a fret is reason for a full refret. It might just need a re-crown.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The frets look fine from what I remember, as far as dings are concerned. I briefly took a look at the neck a couple of weeks ago.

I'll snap some pictures after work today.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuck that. He needs a big assed banner on his website indicating that he isn't affiliated with Patrick.

Sims in the UK was around long before Patrick.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just being preemptive here, but if my thread gets derailed by Sims vs SIMS talk, i'm going to start kicking some dicks. :squint:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll snap some pictures after work today.
What I forgot to mention, was that I wouldn't upload the photos until I reinstalled Windows on my laptop, since Ubuntu wouldn't detect my card reader. :mad:

I just snapped a bunch of random pics, since like I said, I don't know shit about this stuff.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Personally I see no reason at all why that's not salvageable. Hard to tell in the pics, but it doesn't even look like there's anything up with the frets either. Best bet is to find a local tech and ask him to have a quick look over it to tell you for sure, but it's savable.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is the fretboard a flatter radius at the nut than at the 24th fret?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to check when I go back to Ontario in the new year.

If there is any specific angle you'd like, let me know.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just remember reading about Jeremy's first couple of compound radius fretboards, which he did backwards. That would certainly explain why the seller said the board needed to be re-radiused and new frets.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

I just remember reading about Jeremy's first couple of compound radius fretboards, which he did backwards. That would certainly explain why the seller said the board needed to be re-radiused and new frets.
I was thinking that too, when I read the original description. That's what my money's on, as well, and looking at that, the radius DOES look rounder at the 24th.

It's playable, it's just not exactly ideal. Probably still worth $25, though. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts