Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I liked the song where it's like HNGGHHH GOOOO AWWAAAYYYY-UUUHHH...

....when I was 13.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I thought Godsmack only had two songs?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Song 1: Slow-ish, tribal-ish sounding hunger-dunger-dang yarling song
Song 2: Chugga Chuggah "KEEYOH HUH-WAAYEEUH" bro gym metal song

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, those guys kicked ass live. They're from the next town over from me, so I saw them play all the local shitty bars/clubs a ton back in the day. They'd bring strippers from area to all of their shows, and those chick would be on stage doing their thing every time. They blew every other local band away.

Yeah their music isn't the most creative, but they're all a good bunch of dudes. I've played pool with Sully and their guitar player a bunch. They always hung around to shoot the shit even when they started getting famous, and more than once bought rounds of beers for everyone in the club when they were nobody and the place was 3/4 empty. They're not a bunch of rock stars, just a group of local schleps who got a break.

4,429 Posts
Yeah I like to make fun of godsmack for their unoriginality, but in terms of mainstream hard rock they're a hell of a lot more enjoyable than most.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I actually bumped into Sully once, outside Bogart's in Cincinnati, ~2000, after a Dream Theater show, a day or two before Ozzfest was in town.

Order of thoughts:

1) Dude, excuse me much?!
2) Who the fuck is that? Guy is like 5'2", with 6 hotties around him, all taller.
3) HMM. Getting into a limo... with the chicks...
4) Is... is that the guy from Godsmack?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Their guitar player used to have really great taste in gear. These days he's kinda known for playing boutiquey type stuff, so he plays a lot of 'flavor of the month' small builder gear but the first time I saw them live (televised), he was playing Bogner Ubers... my first time hearing that amp and it sounded MASSIVE.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I was listening to AAF the night Rocko first played them....I really don't remember "Whatever" being the first tune that was played, it was "Keep Away" because I remember hearing that Mesa tone and just loving the fuck out of it. I was 14 or 15, they reminded me of AIC with a bit of James Hetfield in the vocals, which was right up my alley.

I kept loving that band until I was able to grow facial hair and started taking shape as an adult....and then once I started fronting my band it got even worse because I'd get SO many fucking people saying, "Hey, you look like Sully from Godsmack and you sound just like him!". I could understand why, I'm a huge Layne Staley and Phil Anselmo fanboy, but Sully has always seemed like such a basic, generic version of both those guys so it perturbed me after a while. After one night at Dick's Last Resort in Faneuil Hall where our server repeatedly called me "Sully" and decided that I was going to be the one she gave the most shit to, I purposefully went out of my way to not look like or sound like the dude.

I still dig some of their tunes and I know I should never let the general public's opinion sway my feelings on things, but it was like every fucking show I played there'd be some person saying something along those lines to me. They've got some killer catchy tunes and they're pretty spot on live, I LOVE the fact that they get a kick out of a big rock show with fuckin' lasers and fire, I LOVE that shit and glad Sully cares about doing that stuff.

Here's a pic from that exact time frame-

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Their guitar player used to have really great taste in gear. These days he's kinda known for playing boutiquey type stuff, so he plays a lot of 'flavor of the month' small builder gear but the first time I saw them live (televised), he was playing Bogner Ubers... my first time hearing that amp and it sounded MASSIVE.
To my knowledge, he mostly plays Gibson and McNaught, and I wouldn't be surprised if he used Zemaitis and Trussart. He's been a big user of McNaught for almost a decade now, I think. But to my knowledge, he's mostly using McNaught more than anything else nowadays, even more than Gibson.

And he's been using some awesome amps, too. Started with Mesa, then moved on to Bogner, then Diezel, then Splawn, then EVH... Not sure what he uses noawadays, though.

I gotta give it to Tony, he has way better taste than Sully....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts