Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a set of circle k strings. Drop tuning 5 string 166 to 45 for standard scale lenght (34/35"). I was going to bring this to my tech to restring and set up as i dont know all that much about bass guitars. Well my curiosity lead me to mock the thickest string on the bridge to see what it would look like. I noticed that the thinner diameter of the string near the ball end is resting on the bridge sadde, instead of the thickest portion of the string. I have never seen this and I dont know if it would be even ok to play. I could imagine intonation issues and possible premature failure of the string come into play.
Any way to remedy this or am i just being too cautious?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's fine. Some uber-thick bass strings have just the winding resting on the saddle. Just set it up and intonate like any other string.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fine. Some uber-thick bass strings have just the winding resting on the saddle. Just set it up and intonate like any other string.
Ok, yes it is a super thick string. .166 to be exact. I had ordered the set before i got the recommendation to start in the .150 range first. Oops. Guess ill just have to get used to it haha.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Super thick strings are also tapered at the end to allow fitting into slotted bridges as they're usually only as thick as a standard string set.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
the only time tapering will hurt is if the taper is at the nut end which you would need to get longer strings

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Super thick strings are also tapered at the end to allow fitting into slotted bridges as they're usually only as thick as a standard string set.
Oh geez, guess im just a dummy haha. I have never seen that before, but then again, i have never seen a bass with a .166 size string. PLUCK!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My Circle K/ Kalium .158 does the same thing. It intonates and holds tuning perfectly once set up correctly. I've had it on there for alittle over a year (I don't play the bass that much. So I don't need to change that often). You should be fine.

I'm surprised you were able to put that monster through the bridge. Mine's a BTB so I don't have to push it through any holes like yours.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I have never seen this and I dont know if it would be even ok to play. I could imagine intonation issues and possible premature failure of the string come into play.
Everyone else has mentioned this is okay, but an advantage to this is that it intonations much better this way, as well. I've used 145s that had no taper and you have to back the bridge saddle way back. If you get the tapered or exposed core strings, it gives you a lot more leeway to work with as far as that goes.

I actually prefer these types of strings, and many companies sell the exposed or tapered cores. The only problem is that since I tune down, none of them make big enough strings.

here's some LaBella Super Steps:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts