Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
^
Not really sensationalist. If it were "What percentage of Android users are capable of running the latest OS?", the numbers probably wouldn't be much better.

And I use an Android phone, exclusively.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
^
Not really sensationalist. If it were "What percentage of Android users are capable of running the latest OS?", the numbers probably wouldn't be much better.
Why? All of the 2.2 phones can run it, and I'm certain most of the 2.1 phones could as well, besides maybe the select few phones still running old processors that managed to get 2.1. 2.3 runs on the Droid, I've tried it, there are no minimum specs.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uhm, 2.3 just came out... It's only on one phone... Sensationalist much?
Why? All of the 2.2 phones can run it, and I'm certain most of the 2.1 phones could as well, besides maybe the select few phones still running old processors that managed to get 2.1. 2.3 runs on the Droid, I've tried it, there are no minimum specs.
You're completely missing the point. This isn't about whether or not a phone can run it. It's about if it's allowed to run it. Where's 2.2 for the Galaxy S stuff? Why is 2.3 on the Nexus S, but the others are stuck at 2.1?

Where's 2.3 for the Droid? Droid 2? Droid X?

This article isn't sensational at all. This article is about how slow moving the OEM's and carriers are, and how (in the case of Samsung) they're artificially holding phones back so you're forced to buy a new phone in order to get a better version of the OS.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
You're completely missing the point. This isn't about whether or not a phone can run it. It's about if it's allowed to run it. Where's 2.2 for the Galaxy S stuff? Why is 2.3 on the Nexus S, but the others are stuck at 2.1?

Where's 2.3 for the Droid? Droid 2? Droid X?

This article isn't sensational at all. This article is about how slow moving the OEM's and carriers are, and how (in the case of Samsung) they're artificially holding phones back so you're forced to buy a new phone in order to get a better version of the OS.
Samsung is the only one "artificially holding phoens back," because they suck, harder than any Android phone manufacturer on the planet. The Nexus S has 2.3 because Google made the OS themselves. 2.3 just got open sourced LAST MONTH. Do you think these updates should fly out within days? I do not, and it's never been the case. HTC and Moto have both shown they are prompt with updates, 2.3 will come to phones as soon as it's ready.

I'm not missing the point, the point is being entirely fabricated.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Where's 2.2 for the Galaxy S stuff?
Actually, 2.2 was released for the Bell Mobility Samsung Vibrant in Canada a couple of months ago....

....the upgrade process bricked a shit ton of devices, as well as a corrupt sd card or some shit fucked over pretty much the remainder, and Samsung then recalled the upgrade for a bit, but still. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Considering I've been running a couple 2.3 components from a homebrew rom I got two days after 2.3 was first released, yes. I do.
2.3 components are easy to get, just get the APK's. The 2.3 keyboard has been out since before even the Nexus S. Let me know when you're running a full release of 2.3 without any bugs, eh?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
And welcome to the point of the the thread. :rofl: The homebrew community can only do so much. A custom rom, especially when it integrates bits and pieces of other versions of the OS, from a programming perspective, isn't much easier to put together than it is to retool a vanilla version of the OS for devices capable of running it. You know, unless the manufacturers or carriers drag their feet deliberately.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
And welcome to the point of the the thread. :rofl: The homebrew community can only do so much. A custom rom, especially when it integrates bits and pieces of other versions of the OS, from a programming perspective, isn't much easier to put together than it is to retool a vanilla version of the OS for devices capable of running it. You know, unless the manufacturers or carriers drag their feet deliberately.
If the homebrew community, as vast as it is, can't figure it out in a month with all the talented coders out there, why is Moto or HTC held to a different standard? Fuck Samsung, they're dead to me, but still :rofl: They know the hardware, for sure, but they do not make the OS, they've got to go through much the same struggles as the homebrew community, albeit with more hardware knowledge... Either way, show me a single company that has had the bleeding edge latest version within 1 month of it being open sourced?

Also, not having the latest version doesn't mean you've got to run out and buy a new phone, that's one of the stupidest things I've seen posted on here :rofl:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
You've been running a rooted Android phone for long enough that I'm *sure* you know that the "homebrew community" is comprised of groups that program and debug roms based on the hardware. If you don't have a "flagship" phone, the roms are few and far between. My brother in law's been running 2.3 on his Droid for a long time, because the community had no problem putting it together. I'm sure EVO users have probably had the same. The remaining 80% of the community hasn't been so lucky. I've got an Intercept and I follow the community closely... the fact they've made roms for 2.2 and integrated any 2.3 apks at all is a wonder, if you saw exactly how small the community is.

Why shouldn't the programmers that are being paid to work for the companies that produced the hardware be held to a different standards than the kids in their basement (several of which have still beaten the manufacturers to the punch) who are working on roms after school? Do I really need to answer that?

The original point of the thread still stands. The number of phones that have sufficient components but DON'T have the choice of running the latest release of the Android OS is embarrassing.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
You've been running a rooted Android phone for long enough that I'm *sure* you know that the "homebrew community" is comprised of groups that program and debug roms based on the hardware. If you don't have a "flagship" phone, the roms are few and far between. My brother in law's been running 2.3 on his Droid for a long time, because the community had no problem putting it together. I'm sure EVO users have probably had the same. The remaining 80% of the community hasn't been so lucky. I've got an Intercept and I follow the community closely... the fact they've made roms for 2.2 and integrated any 2.3 apks at all is a wonder, if you saw exactly how small the community is.

Why shouldn't the programmers that are being paid to work for the companies that produced the hardware be held to a different standards than the kids in their basement (several of which have still beaten the manufacturers to the punch) who are working on roms after school? Do I really need to answer that?

The original point of the thread still stands. The number of phones that have sufficient components but DON'T have the choice of running the latest release of the Android OS is embarrassing.
Give me a link to a working 2.3 Droid rom with no bugs then? I ran 2.3 as recently as last week, there aren't any that are bugless, and the bugs that are there make it impractical for day-to-day use.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem with taking 1-2 months to get an update out. They get it out, they do it right(unlike Samsung), where is the issue? No one currently running 2.1 or 2.2 has any limitations on what apps they can run and 2.3 doesn't have any apps specifically tailored towards it, so where is the issue?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
To put this into perspective, the iPhone 3G is getting phased out by developers now, it's getting less and less support by Apple, etc. The 3G is, hardware wise, very similar to the few 2.1 phones that won't be getting 2.2 and virtually all of the phones that stopped at 1.6. Samsung's Galaxy S is a huge chunk of those 2.1 phones on that graph though, they've sold over 10 million of them now and they're just such a crap company, I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed at 2.1 forever :rofl: I guarantee you the vast majority of phones running Android 2.2 are getting 2.3, it's a matter of time before the code is ready.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
No one currently running 2.1 or 2.2 has any limitations on what apps they can run and 2.3 doesn't have any apps specifically tailored towards it, so where is the issue?
It was in reference to that. You make it sound like "Eh, you can't run 2.3? So what, you're not missing out on anything". So why bother releasing a borderline meaningless update, if that's your thinking?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts