Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to record at higher volumes at home. Yes I have an AxeFX II for recording and jamming at night quietly, but I also have a ton of pedals and wanted to start doing YouTube demos. My amp is fairly loud in the room but it still doesn't give me a very loud signal when it finally gets to my DAW. I'm using an SM57 and I've got the gain on my audio interface cranked and the volume in the DAW and I can get usable volume levels, but I shouldn't need to crank it. I can't turn the amp up any more without it bugging the family too much.

This is sort of a two part question.
1) What's a good way to record at higher volumes at home? (Either recommend an isolation cab or tips on how to deaden the sound from my amp and 2x12).
2) Would you feel differently about a pedal demo done with an iso cab than with one done with just a mic on a cab?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
How are you using the mic? Direct to the computer or through a preamp/mixing desk?

If it's the latter you should be able to get a pretty hot signal. But if you are saying going straight into an interface such as a line6 pod it will be really quiet.

Iso cabs are great for home recordings but don't quieten things down quite as much as most people think.

My personal recommendation for recording at home is that you definitely need something like an auralex gramma which will isolate the cab from the floor and stop any unnecessary low frequency energy being transferred into the floor which can be a large amount of perceived volume. And then just mic it up with a sm57 using a mic pre etc. You can do this with the amp below the level of the guitar strings and still get a hot signal that sounds good.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I built my 4X12 iso cab around 2004.
Concrete blocks filled with concrete.................massive.
I can play ANY amp on 10 still you can talk and watch tv around it.
It sounds like a VERY far away neighbour playing bass.
It's concrete so I can't move it so you'll need a place only for it, of course a 1X12 box will be really smaller so you'll need a very small place.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Lol concrete box

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Treva: :rofl: I'm very jealous.

How are you using the mic? Direct to the computer or through a preamp/mixing desk?

If it's the latter you should be able to get a pretty hot signal. But if you are saying going straight into an interface such as a line6 pod it will be really quiet.

Iso cabs are great for home recordings but don't quieten things down quite as much as most people think.

My personal recommendation for recording at home is that you definitely need something like an auralex gramma which will isolate the cab from the floor and stop any unnecessary low frequency energy being transferred into the floor which can be a large amount of perceived volume. And then just mic it up with a sm57 using a mic pre etc. You can do this with the amp below the level of the guitar strings and still get a hot signal that sounds good.
SM57 > Audio Interface (Tascam US-1800) > Computer

I suppose it's about time I bought a real mic pre-amp, but never did the research on why I should get one, which ones are good, etc. No time like the present!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts