Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of diagnosis, including bringing home a small faraday cage from work to test my setup in, the problem with my home studio noise problem is definitely EMI.

I tried the Electro-Harmonix hum debugger (crap), an Isolation Transformer on the line, and Ebtech Humm-x, various circuits, voodoo, witchcraft, and everything else you can think of. Had an electrician out, the power company came out, and I brought an oscilloscope home from work to try and pinpoint it.

I figured my only remaining option was to shield my entire studio, which would be expensive as hell.

That said, I figured "why not" and grabbed a basic ISP Decimator off Amazon for ~$125 or so. With it at the very front of my signal chain, it does a fucking FANTASTIC job of eliminating the EMI noise while not squashing the hell out of even extremely boosted tones.

I actually just bought another one (because I'm lazy) so that I can have one for the 6505 and the Axe-Fx. With the ISP in front of the II, I still run a soft noise gate and with the threshold around -50db on the ISP I am completely noise-free.

Awesome product is awesome. Get one. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I got the rack for $125, but it's just the pedal. Not the G-String :)quagmire:) version either. Just the chrome cheapie.

I really can't believe how well the thing works.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Yeah, they're awesome. I bought the rack one back in the day, before they had the 'high-gain' mod as a standard thing on them (aka back when they weren't popular yet and only cost $250). It was really really good, but it wasn't as quick as my Rocktron Guitar Silencer/MXR Smart Gate combo, so I sold it :wallbash: Wish I woulda kept it, but again, at the time it wasn't good with high gain.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they're awesome. I bought the rack one back in the day, before they had the 'high-gain' mod as a standard thing on them (aka back when they weren't popular yet and only cost $250). It was really really good, but it wasn't as quick as my Rocktron Guitar Silencer/MXR Smart Gate combo, so I sold it :wallbash: Wish I woulda kept it, but again, at the time it wasn't good with high gain.
Despite how much I bag on your midrange preferences, I think we have pretty similar tone tastes. :lol: That's what's so impressive about this thing, I LOVE gain, and it's perfectly happy with how much I run.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nice! I love mine. It doubles as a personal defense weapon too... it's like someone hewed a giant-sized Boss pedal out of steel.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Fuck yeah. I will never sell mine as it indeed kills. :metal:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Despite how much I bag on your midrange preferences, I think we have pretty similar tone tastes. :lol: That's what's so impressive about this thing, I LOVE gain, and it's perfectly happy with how much I run.
:lol: Yeah, well I'm tellin ya, if you'd hear my rig in person on a stage, it doesn't sound like you'd think it sounds :p Especially when its running into my 2:90 instead of my SS poweramps.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I love my decimator. All the noise reduction and none of the tone robbing. Things are amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I've had a Decimator for as long as I've had my Invader. The two together are just perfection in silence and awesomeness.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Its funny this should come up as i this morning received 30 pcbs for this particular pedal with a few mods.

Im actually going to be using them in something a bit different and changing quite a lot of the design but the Decimator is a great base for what im doing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts