Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Before I watch this (actually, it's Anderton's, so I probably won't), I just want to throw it out there that I know at least two VERY professional recording engineers, with decent budgets and gear, that still use POD Farm on professional recordings. So the premise isn't entirely far fetched that they can be compared on equal footing.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I watch this (actually, it's Anderton's, so I probably won't), I just want to throw it out there that I know at least two VERY professional recording engineers, with decent budgets and gear, that still use POD Farm on professional recordings. So the premise isn't entirely far fetched that they can be compared on equal footing.
Spoilers: The POD 2.0 and Kemper sound good, and the AmpliFIRE sounds like a hot bag of farts.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The POD 2.0 sounded WAY better than the XT in headphones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
First off, these comparisons are kind of silly when the IR isn't normalized across all modelers.

With that said, the POD does hold up surprisingly well. However, the old POD had very unrealistic high-end because they just didn't have enough processing horsepower to upsample and avoid aliasing. So it's basically got this constant low-pass filter sort of thing going on. That's basically what makes it sound "warmer" than Amplfiier in this video. This wasn't so much a problem when you were sitting and listening to it by itself. But it would get super buried in a mix in many scenarios.

Yes, the Amplifier sounds harsher because it has way mode mids and high-mids than the POD. But it also sounded more realistic. Those tones would sit in a mix quite nicely actually.

The Kemper did sound the best on the higher gain models especially.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, these comparisons are kind of silly when the IR isn't normalized across all modelers.

With that said, the POD does hold up surprisingly well. However, the old POD had very unrealistic high-end because they just didn't have enough processing horsepower to upsample and avoid aliasing. So it's basically got this constant low-pass filter sort of thing going on. That's basically what makes it sound "warmer" than Amplfiier in this video. This wasn't so much a problem when you were sitting and listening to it by itself. But it would get super buried in a mix in many scenarios.

Yes, the Amplifier sounds harsher because it has way mode mids and high-mids than the POD. But it also sounded more realistic. Those tones would sit in a mix quite nicely actually.

The Kemper did sound the best on the higher gain models especially.
The AmpliFIRE isn't a particularly good sounding modeler anyway. The Kemper, AxeFX, Helix all sound better.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I have listened now.

As a Kemper user, I should be biased, but here's my thouhts:

The POD sounds better than I would expect.
The Amplifire sounds pretty good especially the AC30 version
The Kemper sounds... Kemper... Which I dont like :(

There's a sort of "cocked wah" sound going on in all overdriven or distorted Kemper profiles in the video, and goddamnit do I hear it in my own KEmper!

There's threads about it in the Kemper forum too, people complaining about it, and getting replies from peope who says stuff like "well you can just EQ it out" or other useless tips.

So yeah, while I like my Kemper I cannot for my life say its perfect. Wont get rid of it tho. It's very convinent and I'm sure it will be a blast to play with live, but I'm not so sure about using it for recordings much more.
I've actually started using BIAS amp more, and with that I dont only mean the tone matching but also a couple of the built in non-matched tones are pretty good.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I still use POD Farm for quick stuff, and it sounds great. The BIAS stuff is actually the first plugin that makes a noticeable improvement over POD Farm IMHO. Stop trying to dial in POD Farm like a real amp and just tweak until it sounds good. The tones are in there you just have to pull them out.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Of those three, the Kemper sounded easily the best. I wasn't impressed by the Amplifire, but the POD sounded surprisingly good--though with that distant, two-dimensional quality the earliest modelers all had.

What I take away from this video is that the original POD is almost 20 years old. Holy fuck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.