Metal Guitarist Forums banner

It's official: The Ibanez Edge III trem sucks.

10708 Views 28 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Smell The Glove
Yup. I wanted to like it. It looks a little cheap, but I don't care much about that as long as it does its job.

This Xiphos I bought was built 3 years ago. Whenever I bend a note (whether with my fingers or the bar), the trem will not return to zero unless I pull up on the bar.

So, I take the trem out and get a look at the knife edges. They're chipped like a crackwhore's tooth. There's just no saving them, and you can't replace them without replacing the whole trem.

3 years old. The Lo-pro on my 7620 is fucking 12 years old and doing fine. Yup, the Edge III sucks. Never thought I'd say it, but it deserves the following rating:

:noodles: :noodles: :noodles: :noodles:
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1b/40.2.005; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Yup, like I said in the other thread:

OFR.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1b/40.2.005; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Yup, like I said in the other thread:

OFR.
Pretty much. I have it locked down with a Tremol-no, so it's basically a glorified hardtail. If I do go with another trem, no reason not to put an OFR in there. :yesway:
OFR's a direct replacement, right?

I don't have any tuning issues with my two E3's, but both of my trem bar holders are broken.
OFR's a direct replacement, right?

I don't have any tuning issues with my two E3's, but both of my trem bar holders are broken.
QC isn't tight enough on the Indos to say one way or the other. Sometimes they drop in, others you have to do some slight dremeling.
It's only now official? :rofl:
Pretty much, I think those things sucked before they were invented.
I've had two edge IIIs on both my HR Giger Ibanez guitars, and once I tightened the whammy bar hole, they were both perfect. I've had OFRs, knock-offs, Lo-TRS's, Lo-Pro Edges, and the edge III I still own is the best trem I've played :agreed:

So I'm happy to be the minority opinion on this one, or maybe I just lucked out with two of the good ones.
I've had two edge IIIs on both my HR Giger Ibanez guitars, and once I tightened the whammy bar hole, they were both perfect. I've had OFRs, knock-offs, Lo-TRS's, Lo-Pro Edges, and the edge III I still own is the best trem I've played :agreed:

So I'm happy to be the minority opinion on this one, or maybe I just lucked out with two of the good ones.
Be careful with that axe, Eugene. I can't tighten either of mine anymore, they're straight up broken. I'll try and snag a pic later.
Be careful with that axe, Eugene.
:metal:

In a momentary lapse of reason I meddled with my edge 3, One of these days I'll have to put a new machine on it. Wish you were here to fix it.
Reactions: 1
:lol: I had to think a bit to fit that many references in one sentence.
Be careful with that axe, Eugene. I can't tighten either of mine anymore, they're straight up broken. I'll try and snag a pic later.
If that were to happen, I'd replace it with a Lo-Pro or equivalent. So far so good though the E3 has been great.

To each his own I guess. I don't see the point in buying a guitar with a trem just to make it not work. Might as well get a stop-tailpiece guitar instead.
That wont make the return to zero, or not have the bar break off in the slot, though. :lol:
So, I take the trem out and get a look at the knife edges. They're chipped like a crackwhore's tooth. There's just no saving them, and you can't replace them without replacing the whole trem.
So even filing them wouldn't save them, huh?
That wont make the return to zero, or not have the bar break off in the slot, though. :lol:
You are quite correct, unfortunately.

See less See more
If that were to happen, I'd replace it with a Lo-Pro or equivalent. So far so good though the E3 has been great.

To each his own I guess. I don't see the point in buying a guitar with a trem just to make it not work. Might as well get a stop-tailpiece guitar instead.
Yeah, you might as well put a wood block in there and save your money, or as you say not buy the trem equipped guitar in the first place.
Well, the idea of the T-No is to be able to go back and forth without having to block/unblock.
Well, the idea of the T-No is to be able to go back and forth without having to block/unblock.
Yeah, but if the blade is chipped "like a crackwhore's tooth" :lol: a T-No's not going to help much in comparison to a wooden block, since he's got to just lock it down now and leave it there.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts